PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Rb's

Karras went in for Owenu in the 2nd half. He helped. At this point, he deserves a shot at regular playing time until the other guys get their act together.
I would try Karras at LG and Onwenu at RT at this Point. Even though i think it was karras and onwenu who did Not recognize the stunt with vea and Tryon which resulted in vea pushing wynn on his Ass and tryon got a Sack bc karras followed vea instead picking up tryon

Where is Scar when you really need him? As for the RB's, the doghouse is getting crowded with both JJ and Rham camping there. I say give Rham another shot against the weak Houston D. Also, JJ is not the second coming of Dion.

Where is Scar when you really need him? As for the RB's, the doghouse is getting crowded with both JJ and Rham camping there. I say give Rham another shot against the weak Houston D. Also, JJ is not the second coming of Dion.

You can't keep bringing back 70 year old Scar.

The current OLine coach only coached D3 before he came here. Only here because of some dumb Ohio/Indiana connection from the John Carroll low-IQ idiots.

Blow the entire OLine up, coach plus move the players around.

It was the priority this offseason.

Wynn's option
Andrews re-signed
Owenu moved to natural postion
Traded for Trent
Signed Karras

I'm not ready to give up on this line but they've bottomed out.

Still don't believe that Onwenu's natural position is Left Guard more than it is Right Tackle...or, in a more perfect world, Right Guard.

Our offensive line is struggling with blitz pick up.

we have to fix that first, because teams are blitzing the rookie Jones a ton.

I think you're right about our OL affecting our running game. I thought Wynn was better in the 2nd half last night, but your point about him is well taken.....
Here's an interesting stat on Jones targeting Bolden on third down last night. He was 4-of-4 targeting him.

Bolden only had one first down :(

He obviously also caught that pass from Meyers and picked up 15, which was still short of the marker.

He's definitely not James White and they need someone to step into that role - but at the same time, they also need to be able to pick up the blitz.

What a mess...losing White was such a big blow. Between that and Trent Brown, it's definitely made things tougher than it needed to be.

Still don't believe that Onwenu's natural position is Left Guard more than it is Right Tackle...or, in a more perfect world, Right Guard.
Another interesting stat, the Patriots have zero attempts over right end so far this season. They've completely avoided that side all together through four games vs 13 carries over left end. That side has been a mess so far early on and it's definitely added an unneeded level of difficulty to an offense that's trying to develop a talented rookie QB :(

Last edited:
Lots of blind talk. Lets look at some film.
Its from yesterday so not ideal since Pats hardly tried to run & opposite was #1 run D . but still indicative enough of key problems.

play 1 : Herron, Mason & Andrews pancaked @ LOS; Wynn seals the edge, Onwenu pulls and is late, Harry blown by Tryon who stops Jakub before he can reach the end of the line

play 2 : Onwenu whiffs completely @Los & 2-lvl, Andrews overwhelmed leaves Gholston free who makes tkl for no gain;
Wynn again only one doing his job, Henry lost, Jonnu beat, Myers not even trying; JJ has nowhere to go

play 3 : Jonnu & Wynn sealing their edge (cutting off 3 TB players), Onwenu loses key block on Nunez-Roches (+holds) who bumps Harris 3y behind LOS; Andrews & Mason do ok on their blocks, Myers late (not trying), Jakub whiffs and tackles Durant. Holding on Onwenu called.

play 4 : relatively decent job by most but Durant cant seal his block and is moved into the lane so Harris hesitates, lanes close

play 5 : decent blocks by most except Onwenu holds Vea - penalty called. Harris does run for 3yds - David is unblocked and makes easy tkl.

play 6 : decent blocking by OL but Meyers whiffs on Whitehead who makes TFL on Bolden; Jakubs lead block is poor but doesnt impact the play

play 7 : Bourne is blown off of LOS by Whitehead who makes another TFL, Jakub stands by

play 8 : TB DL overwhelms NE OL, Herron misses his man, Jakub as well; last running play in the game at the beginning of 2nd half!

Last edited:
I think the OL is affecting the RB group....last year, we had something in the running game with Onwenu and Mason together

When brown comes back, I would:
- move Onwenu to RT
- move Wynn to LG
- put Brown at LT

is it me or does Wynn look like he's lost all of his balance and mobility?
b.png

Onwenu losing his assigmnemt.
But then Harris is able to turn it into a positive play, in a situation where he, at least, gains 3 yards...
Holding on onwenu.

Also Mac sells e x c e l l e n t l y here.

But the penalty kills all of this. (We still scored on the drive which is CRAZY)

Good on Mac and Harris, however, in that:

- we were down by 3 already, a third of the way into a game where we were heavily unfavored.
- Harris, the lead of sevaral competent RBs (we dont know for sure if White retires), Can make an adjustment 5y behind the los resulting in a 3y gain (8y total) so nicely.
- Mac has a quickeness/release (not speed), that can be leveraged. Excellent.

Last edited:
Next to our O-line, this has been the most disappointing position on our team so far. What do we do going forward? Harris is a stud, don't think anyone will argue that but, JJ had a huge fumble last night and we didn't see him after that. I love the way Bolden picks up the blitz, but don't want to see him running the ball or catching it too often out of the backfield I think we revisit playing RHAM and see what he can do. Do we try and bring in a FA player...I know we had a few in for tryouts last week, but in our offense, it might take them a while to pick up the scheme.

Any thoughts? Obviously, getting Brown back will help, but at this point, can we rely on him staying healthy?
Big part of the problem is the OL not opening holes for our backs. Idk about pass protection but both Michel and White are gone. Bolden is not good enough to serve as your #2 RB. Thus we need to suck it up and let Rhamondre out of the dog house.

Here's the chart by distance from last night:

1633403179901.png
That's ... less than ideal :(

Last edited:
Lots of blind talk. Lets look at some film.
Its from yesterday so not ideal since Pats hardly tried to run & opposite was #1 run D . but still indicative enough of key problems.

play 1 : Herron, Mason & Andrews pancaked @ LOS; Wynn seals the edge, Onwenu pulls and is late, Harry blown by Tryon who stops Jakub before he can reach the end of the line

play 2 : Onwenu whiffs completely @Los & 2-lvl, Andrews overwhelmed leaves Gholston free who makes tkl for no gain;
Wynn again only one doing his job, Henry lost, Jonnu beat, Myers not even trying; JJ has nowhere to go

play 3 : Jonnu & Wynn sealing their edge (cutting off 3 TB players), Onwenu looses key block on Nunez-Roches (+holds) who bumps Harris 3y behind LOS; Andrews & Mason do ok on their blocks, Myers late (not trying), Jakub whiffs and tackles Durant. Holding on Onwenu called.

play 4 : relatively decent job by most but Durant cant seal his block and is moved into the lane so Harris hesitates, lanes close

play 5 : decent blocks by most except Onwenu holds Vea - penalty called. Harris does run for 3yds - David is unblocked and makes easy tkl.

play 6 : decent blocking by OL but Meyers whiffs on Whitehead who makes TFL on Bolden; Jakubs lead block is poor but doesnt impact the play

play 7 : Bourne is blown off of LOS by Whitehead who makes another TFL, Jakub stands by

play 8 : TB DL overwhelms NE OL, Herron misses his man, Jakub as well; last running play in the game at the beginning of 2nd half!

Unlike the thread would suggest Wynn was actually by far most consistent run blocker on the night while playing through injury.
Onwenu who was by far highest rated NE OL over 3 weeks (by PFF fwiw) had a rough night and was possibly benched (no inj reported)
They are exchanging Herron and Durant at RT like its DL but both are big liabilities esp. in run game. It affects Mason as well.
@TE Jonnu is doing better - Hanry was in only on 1 run play (bad) which is not a good sign.
@WR - this is under the radar big problem. Harry is the only WR who can block. I noticed Myers bad blocking (borderline unwillingness) in preseason and unfortunately that continues. he did better last year iirc. Pats normally relied on good run blocking by WRs and now first 3 WRs look bad.
@FB - Jakub Johnson is just not on the level this year. If they want to use legit FB and carry one on 53 they should upgrade as i was saying going into FA. Ben Mason could be the answer but he was not here before the season so it might take time esp with how conservative (stubborn) BB is making changes.

So its not just about fixing OL (which should be fixable) but fixing blocking around the line as well.

Last edited:
I think the OL is affecting the RB group....last year, we had something in the running game with Onwenu and Mason together

When brown comes back, I would:
- move Onwenu to RT
- move Wynn to LG
- put Brown at LT

is it me or does Wynn look like he's lost all of his balance and mobility?
Lol that's the alignment @DropKickFlutie has been ranting about for months.

Harris can't carry the load for an entire game, Taylor is a pré season binkie and White and Michel are gone.

If they don't intend to play Rhamon they need to bring 2 RBs.

Rham can run. Bring him out of the doghouse and turn him loose on the cats.

Trade a mid-late round pick for Marlon Mack who wants out of indianapolis. He looked good yesterday coming off ACL surgery. He's young and he can run and block and catch
Is Hoyer starting?

Stevenson is NOT playing until he can pick up blitzers.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back