Votes: 7 46.7%
  • QB is worse, OL is better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • QB and OL are both worse

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
forum koolaid GIF
It's not drinking koolaid to say football is a team sport.

Carson Wentz was the front runner to win the MVP in 2017 before getting hurt, then Nick Foles stepped in for the playoffs and won a Super Bowl... if the team around him was good enough Brissett could win a Super Bowl.

A bunch of average/good QB's have won rings.

The rookie has to be ready and take the job, you don't just hand it to him.
Mahomes sat and Brady sat out a season.

With Jonathan Kraft running things we likely will see the Rookie out there.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
It's not drinking koolaid to say football is a team sport.

Carson Wentz was the front runner to win the MVP in 2017 before getting hurt, then Nick Foles stepped in for the playoffs and won a Super Bowl... if the team around him was good enough Brissett could win a Super Bowl.

A bunch of average/good QB's have won rings.
The Patriots are the worse team in the AFCE.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
The OL will be better if they stay healthy simply because the kids have an extra year of experience, Onwenu has more experience at OT, and the team has an OL COACH!

The Patriots are the worse team in the AFCE.
venting is fine.

I don't see how this relevant to the thread.

Also, I don't see why this is relevant to how we are progressing towards being compeitive for the playoffs in 2025 and for the division in 2026.

With Jonathan Kraft running things we likely will see the Rookie out there.
How in the world would you know this? Ridiculous.

The talk all off season has been for the drafted QB to sit for 1 season and Jagoby to start.
Zappy smurf is taking over the league in week 5 so Brissett won't be starting for long.

I'm with you. But the way this may shape up is we may end up with McCarthy or penix Jr. Later in the first. I'm just assuming of course.. because we need a LT.
We definitely need a LT. If given the choice between McCarthy and Penix, I'll take McCarthy any day of the week and three times on Sunday's!

The talk all off season has been for the drafted QB to sit for 1 season and Jagoby to start.
I know.. but the defense is either going to make the drafted QB better and bring out the dog in him or make him tuck his tail and run.. they won't have mercy on him in camp.

We definitely need a LT. If given the choice between McCarthy and Penix, I'll take McCarthy any day of the week and three times on Sunday's!
I like JJ and I like Penix Jr. Honestly I'd be okay with either or.. give me say Penix, a LT, and tee Higgins on the outside. Wow!!

The rookie has to be ready and take the job, you don't just hand it to him.
The issue is that if the rookie is not clearly better than Brissett pretty early on, then all of a sudden we are in actual jeopardy of him being a bust. It's not hard for a young high prospect to be better than Jacoby from the jump. There's mediocre starters who were drafted and were instantly better than him.

To me it's more about whether they are committed to a rebuild first and if they are okay with saying "we are punting on the year, Jacoby is starting because we really want to develop our young guy for a year and have more time to build around him before tossing him into the fire". That could make sense. People won't like that we are basically quitting on this year, but that's the only realistic way Jacoby could start a meaningful amount of time and for it to not be a disaster scenario.

Brisset is a Bust too.

In 8 season he has never even had a .500 record. All losing records. He is on a different team which is technically his 6th team in 9 seasons.

The same people talking up Brisset today will be same people wanting him benched this season in favor of the unproven rookie QB.
I agree that Brissett isn't a starting caliber NFL QB which will show itself over the course of the season. He was a 3rd round pick that has lasted for 8 years so he isn't a bust. More importantly drafting the player is the easy part, developing him to be a good NFL QB is much harder. Regardless of the mayhem on the field, Mayo needs to keep the rookie on the bench until he is ready. Best case scenario the new guy kicks the door down on the starting job, just as the posse forms for Brissett.

I like JJ and I like Penix Jr. Honestly I'd be okay with either or.. give me say Penix, a LT, and tee Higgins on the outside. Wow!!
Totally agree on the LT and Tee Higgins! I just can't get onboard the Penix Train.

I get it I know it's becuase of the Injuries?
Yep. And he's also the lowest rated of the top QB's of this class when it comes to off platform throws. He also doesn't throw between the hash marks (and intermediate throws), or short throws (a problem that Jayden Daniels has). His arm also only has one speed. And, he's on the older than I'd like side (also like Nix and to a lesser degree, Daniels).

Yep. And he's also the lowest rated of the top QB's of this class when it comes to off platform throws. He also doesn't throw between the hash marks (and intermediate throws), or short throws (a problem that Jayden Daniels has). His arm also only has one speed. And, he's on the older than I'd like side.
I see.. well I know that it's a real possibility we could end up with he or JJ.. I like JJ and don't really know what his ceiling could be but I think JJ , Williams and Daniels are the most exciting players as far as how they can create off script .

Penix is a pro, a day 1 starter.. a guy who may not be an all pro but a steady NFL starting QB who won't give the game away. I feel he will have a fruitful NFL career somewhere.

I see.. well I know that it's a real possibility we could end up with he or JJ.. I like JJ and don't really know what his ceiling could be but I think JJ , Williams and Daniels are the most exciting players as far as how they can create off script .

Penix is a pro, a day 1 starter.. a guy who may not be an all pro but a steady NFL starting QB who won't give the game away. I feel he will have a fruitful NFL career somewhere.
Well, we'll no doubt find out who goes where tomorrow night, and time will tell how they all do.

The issue is that if the rookie is not clearly better than Brissett pretty early on, then all of a sudden we are in actual jeopardy of him being a bust. It's not hard for a young high prospect to be better than Jacoby from the jump. There's mediocre starters who were drafted and were instantly better than him.
This isn't true at all. And there's too many HOF'ers like Brady and Mahomes who sat and developed a year or longer to say it's true. Even lesser guys, Jordan Love wasn't ready to start as a rookie.

There's an outcome you haven't considered, they build a bad azz team around Brissett and he plays really well. See Jared Goff in Detroit, it starts with the O-Line. Nobody is talking about Goff being replaced by Hendon Hooker anymore. I wouldn't play any rookie QB if I didn't need him. I'd sit Maye or McCarthy for the year regardless, develop them... make them great.
To me it's more about whether they are committed to a rebuild first and if they are okay with saying "we are punting on the year, Jacoby is starting because we really want to develop our young guy for a year and have more time to build around him before tossing him into the fire". That could make sense. People won't like that we are basically quitting on this year, but that's the only realistic way Jacoby could start a meaningful amount of time and for it to not be a disaster scenario.
They're not quitting, I don't see that at all.

They need to draft well and burn some cash on the remaining free agents it will take to get to 90 for camp. They can improve the team a lot tomorrow and beyond.

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back