• QB is better, OL is worse

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • QB is worse, OL is better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • QB and OL are both worse

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i think Brissette was an undervalued signing. A guy with some talent who know what he is there for. He will play fine and mentor the new QB and be a great bridge in this multi-year rebuild.
If healthy.

Yeah the 2021 Patriots offense was more efficient and put less of a burden on their defense. Team game like you said.
The Colt's D weren't good and it had more to do with a passing defense that couldn't stop anyone. The Colt's offense didn't put much undue pressure on the D, they ranked middle of the league in play's run and turnovers... nothing dramatic.

The Colts leading receivers in 2019 were Zach Pacscal, an old and broken down TY Hilton who only played ten games, and TE Jack Doyle. The Patriots were better with Jakobi Meyers, Kendrick Bourne and Hunter Henry. The Patriots also had Rhamondre and Damien Harris at RB so they were better there. Both offenses had really good offensive lines, so I'd call that a wash.

The Colts also lost Eric Ebron, TY Hilton, Chester Rogers and remaining weapons to injury to finish the season... which explains how their offense petered out at the end of the season.

He's not though lol.

There's no real statistical evidence that Brissett is better. You at best can argue he's a little better in INT's. Mac has a better completion percentage by a signficant amount, more Y/A, when you equalize starts Jones who struggled with TD's is better, Jacoby with a much larger sample size has a slightly worse passer rating.

Even Jacobys best year on his best offense ever was worse than Mac's best year.
You're putting way too much stock in passing yards or completion percentage and not nearly enough in turnovers.

When Mac Jones got hurt against the Ravens in year two he led the entire NFL in interceptions. Last year when he finally got benched, he led the entire NFL in total turnovers... and times getting benched.

Brissett as a starter:

926-1511 attempts, 61% completions, 9994 Yards, 208 YPG, 48 TD's, 22 INT's, 85.2 QB Rating, 6.61 YPA, 190 rushes, 853 YDs, 4.5 YPA, 12 rush TDs

Throws two TD's for every interception, completes 61% of his passes. He is Andy Dalton with a bigger more physical frame that can run for more third down conversions. Won't wow you, but probably won't lose the game for you either. That's better than Mac.

Turnovers are team killers.

And, as you probably realize, we'll probably be picking in the top 10 in the 2025 Draft and will have (even after extending any of our own players) a nice chunk of money to spend in freed agency. But unlike this past free agency period, young and capable top tier talent will see that we have our QB situation resolved (especially offensive players), and will be more likely to want to come here. Then we can snag a Day 1 starter at LT in 2025 (which we've found them also in the 2nd round and later). I suspect that like me, you realize that this is a 3 to 4 year rebuild to be a true SB Contender/Winner again (but only if the right moves are made).
Yes, agree. I will say this though. It all hinges on 2024 how we do this season.. as we all know last few seasons our offense is the issue. This past FA period there just wasn't a great group.. so the team did the right thing in extending their own players wich mayo is big on. Football is unlike any other sport where things can be so different from game to game and season to season. As you said only if the right moves are made. We do that starting tomorrow at 8:00 then we are definitely in a great place.

Brisset is a Bust too.

In 8 season he has never even had a .500 record. All losing records. He is on a different team which is technically his 6th team in 9 seasons.

The same people talking up Brisset today will be same people wanting him benched this season in favor of the unproven rookie QB.

Agree with the first part.

Assuming they draft a stud left tackle and keep everyone healthy, I think fans will be surprised at how good this 2024 team is, even with Brissett. They don't have to light up the scoreboard, they just have to be respectable on offense, run the ball and the defense can't have a let down post-BB.
The defense is remotely far from any worries I have on our team. They are ready-made to compete. I'm sure we will add some pieces in the draft to sure up some depth but overall I think our defense is top 5. Mayo will be running the same defense that he played in, and coached in or course with some wrinkles whatever covington wants to add. Agreed with your 2nd part.. as I've said a middling offense last season would've gotten us say 9 wins at least. 24 PPG I'd say is respectable on offense..

Brisset is a Bust too.

In 8 season he has never even had a .500 record. All losing records. He is on a different team which is technically his 6th team in 9 seasons.

The same people talking up Brisset today will be same people wanting him benched this season in favor of the unproven rookie QB.
Drew Brees led the entire NFL in passing three years in a row and engineered a top five offense... his team won 7 games three years in a row because his defense was league worst.

"Wins/losses" is a team stat.

I know I am in the vast minority here with my opinion on Strange, but I believe we are all being a bit premature in writing him off.

Strange suffered his injury early in training camp last year, and missed the entire preseason. He should have been placed on IR back then. I have zero evidence, but suspect there may have been a bit of pressure applied for him to play through it since the OL was already a catastrophe before the season even began.

As a result he missed time early and frankly did not play that well when returned, still not 100% healthy and still going to need off season surgery. Then the inevitable happened, and he landed on IR anyways.

With that in mind I'm hesitant to judge him on his 2023 performance. I'd rather have a healthy Strange than Mafi in the starting lineup. And the Patriots have too many other positions in need of upgrades to use a draft pick on a guard.

Was he drafted too early? Yes, absolutely. But that's a sunk cost and therefore irrelevant. If he was drafted in the 4th round would people here feel the same way about him? Very doubtful.
Strange had some great stretches as a rookie, and last season. Injuries have been the reason he's been unavailable. Like Strange Mafi is a young ascending player who got better as the season when along amidst a terrible offense last season. I'd say everyone is starting at ground 0 with AVP so hopefully Strange can stay on the field this season to be an impactful player.

Strange had some great stretches as a rookie, and last season. Injuries have been the reason he's been unavailable. Like Strange Mafi is a young ascending player who got better as the season when along amidst a terrible offense last season. I'd say everyone is starting at ground 0 with AVP so hopefully Strange can stay on the field this season to be an impactful player.
Strange played well, people hate him because they traded back then had the temerity to take a guard.

Guard is boring and not a sexy position to draft, but in real-world football... an important position.

This isn't fantasy football we're talking about. He needs to get and stay healthy, he'll have a long successful career.

Strange played well, people hate him because they traded back then had the temerity to take a guard.

Guard is boring and not a sexy position to draft, but in real-world football... an important position.

This isn't fantasy football we're talking about. He needs to get and stay healthy, he'll have a long successful career.
Agreed, I won't beat him down. I know I saw him play well so it's in him. Injuries have been the main reason.. the entire O line suffered from the ineptitude of coaching and piss poor QB play last 2 seasons... I just hope he isn't on the bust train.. and I don't mean the on to canton!

Yes, agree. I will say this though. It all hinges on 2024 how we do this season.. as we all know last few seasons our offense is the issue. This past FA period there just wasn't a great group.. so the team did the right thing in extending their own players wich mayo is big on. Football is unlike any other sport where things can be so different from game to game and season to season. As you said only if the right moves are made. We do that starting tomorrow at 8:00 then we are definitely in a great place.
Absolutely! And, We cannot afford to blow this draft in any round, but especially the first round.

Brisset is a Bust too.

The only way Brissett plays is if the pick isn't ready.. people are reading way to much into things. Brissett is a bridge, a good back up that can come in and hold it down. He's here to run the AVP offense help the pick along as well. So if that's the case being a bust.. he and Zapp have something in common

Absolutely! And, We cannot afford to blow this draft in any round, but especially the first round.
Yes! I can't wait for tomorrow to get here! The franchise's future hinges upon the QB we select tomorrow. The only way we should move is if we get offered a generational player like JJ in Minnesota, however still remaining in the first round taking penix Jr. Or JJ McCarthy.

Nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig

We have no elite players on offense

Yes! I can't wait for tomorrow to get here! The franchise's future hinges upon the QB we select tomorrow. The only way we should move is if we get offered a generational player like JJ in Minnesota, however still remaining in the first round taking penix Jr. Or JJ McCarthy.
I put McCarthy in the "Needs to sit his rookie season" category like Maye. Don't want Penix nor Daniels. If we get a haul and can get McCarthy (which is highly unlikely given how many other teams will want him), Then I'm good with that. But such an outcome seems highly improbable.

I put McCarthy in the "Needs to sit his rookie season" category like Maye. Don't want Penix nor Daniels. If we get a haul and can get McCarthy (which is highly unlikely given how many other teams will want him), Then I'm good with that. But such an outcome seems highly improbable.
I'm with you. But the way this may shape up is we may end up with McCarthy or penix Jr. Later in the first. I'm just assuming of course.. because we need a LT.

Drew Brees led the entire NFL in passing three years in a row and engineered a top five offense... his team won 7 games three years in a row because his defense was league worst.

"Wins/losses" is a team stat.
forum koolaid GIF

The only way Brissett plays is if the pick isn't ready.. people are reading way to much into things. Brissett is a bridge, a good back up that can come in and hold it down. He's here to run the AVP offense help the pick along as well. So if that's the case being a bust.. he and Zapp have something in common
The talk all off season has been for the drafted QB to sit for 1 season and Jagoby to start.

The 2021 Patriots team was far superior to any team Brissett has ever started for. Mac had 3/4 of a decent season, then became the QB we watched for the next two years... he sucked. In short, once teams had tape on him, he couldn't produce without turning the ball over at a league leading pace.

Brissett maybe be vanilla, but he won't lose the game for you. Jameis Winston once led the entire NFL in passing yards and ranked 3rd in TD's... he has sat on the bench ever since because turnovers are team killers. The good things you do are undone by the bad. Jameis Winston was only good in fantasy football leagues that don't penalize you for mistakes... Mac is Winston-lite, not nearly as talented but just as inept at protecting the ball. After points, turnovers are the most important stat in football.
Wheres the Super Bowl this year?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back