PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Biggest Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
The teams I fear right now are Denver and Oakland. Would not want to play the Cowboys in the SB if we both get there.

The teams I fear right now are Denver and Oakland. Would not want to play the Cowboys in the SB if we both get there.
I want the cowboys and I think the league will make it so.

I want the cowboys and I think the league will make it so.

You think we could take them? I don't know who they have played this year other than Cleveland this weekend

Is Oakland. Period.

Yes, I know their defense is not the best but their offense is legit.

Plus, the franchise wants revenge.

Having said that we are the heavy favorite.
Flag on the post

RAiders are for real and the Broncos do not scare me one bit

The AFC is weak this year only injuries can slow us down
The NFL is weak this year - Period.

Pardon my sarcasm but if a Del Rio-coached Oakland Raiders team is the best we can do for identifying a potential threat, What does that say about the league?

Oakland is strong in the trenches on both sides of the ball. However, their achilles heel is their secondary.

Current #1 threat list:

NFL - Injuries
AFC - Chiefs
NFC - Seahawks (if Wilson can get healthy) or Cowboys, but I will always reserve the right to throw the Giants in, just because, if those bastards get into the playoffs

Probably going to get killed for this, but I want Giants in the Super Bowl.

I want closure, can't shake it off.

Thinking about Oakland's win tonight. How they haven't been a good team since 14 years ago. I remember hating them back then because their team and their fans couldn't stop whining about the tuck rule. Then after their SB blowout loss, they never recovered and after a while I stopped worrying about them. Now it's one of those things where after seeing the fans in the Black Hole, reminding me of those times where I wished the Raiders would be irrelevant. So I'm happy the Broncos lost, but I'm also being careful what I wish for. It wasn't that long ago that I was wishing the Chargers would fade to obscurity after how annoying they were becoming, and the Broncos obliged to take their spot. It's like having a new person on the iron throne at King's Landing. The face is different but the threat remains.

It feels like we've made enemies with almost everyone at this point, particularly in the AFC.

Bills: especially when Bledsoe was dealt there, and nowadays with Rex Ryan

Dolphins: mostly during the times Ricky Williams was there

Jets: always, but there was extra fuel when Mangini and Rex were there

Steelers: We've more often than not been their obstacle to getting to the top of the conference. That, and Roethlisberger getting injured all the time.

Ravens: It really wasn't until 2007, when they almost ended the streak, that this became a heated rivalry. I've always hated this franchise but even more since then.

Bengals: I didn't see this as being much until recently with the Burfict stuff. Have to think if these two meet again in the playoffs it could get nasty.

Browns: Surprisingly no. Only reason I could see something is because of the history with Bill Belichick. Also that 2010 loss to Mangini's Browns sucked, and almost losing to them in Foxboro in 2013.

Colts: We all know the story with them.

Texans: Their owner said stupid things about Brady, and there was the whole JJ Watt spitting on the Patriots logo thing, and Welker getting injured in Houston with Bernard Pollard there. But otherwise I'm grasping at straws.

Jaguars: Surprised they don't hate us more, considering the Pats have been their grim reaper in half of their playoff years. I mentioned before Jack Del Rio as their coach saying they should've speared Brady.

Titans: Never sensed anything between the two teams.

Chiefs: Same, other than that one defensive back who complained about a block Amendola did.

Broncos: A thorn on our side for Brady's career for the most part, usually in Denver.

Raiders: mentioned above

Chargers: Unbearable during Tomlinson's peak. Otherwise a non-entity.

Shorter version...

Over the Brady era I've hated the division rivals, as well as the Steelers, Ravens, Colts, and Broncos. Also used to hate the Raiders and Chargers, and currently weary of the Bengals.

#1 Pitt - If we don't play Denver in Denver and with that lose it looks like we won't the Steelers are the team with a chance to upset the Pats the most. They have a great O when it is right (and it will get right later i assume) and their D can slow the Pats down somewhat and give their O a chance. I still think the Pats win due to consistency and coaching but the sheer talent the Steelers have on O when 100% is hard to deal with. They have the best chance to come into our house and win.

#2 Denver - While i don't worry as much about them at our house (we can now lose to them in the regular season and still be up in the standings all else being equal) they can still win. That pass rush will travel as will that secondary and they have WRs that can make plays even with a bad QB. We don't have a #2 CB that can keep up with one of Thomas/Sanders. We can scheme and coach it but if we bring too many back they will run on us. Their formula still is good but without good QB play they will depend on a great throw and catch for 7 and Von Miller just winning over and over.

#3 KC - Ford/Houston. That will be tough to deal with. While they don't have great weapons they have a good game manager QB and can run. This is a game we need our OL to show up for and they have a clear path to limit our O. Also Peters at CB has improved and looks solid. If they limit our O they will be an issue.

#4 Oakland - The reason they are this low is I just don't see their D slowing our O down much while our D can slow theirs a bit. They need to hope the OL or Brady has an off day to win and they just don't have the talent on D to try to force it to happen IMO. Mack is a heck of a player but by himself is not enough.

#5 IDK really... Maybe Baltimore? Not gonna get into it but i like top 5 list so i will finish it out with them. SD could be interesting too if they get in and don't choke that one game but i don't see how they get in with such a stacked division.

Would not want to play the Cowboys in the SB if we both get there.
Really?

I would expect Belichick to draw up a run stopping gameplan, use a containment scheme to keep Prescott from beating us with his legs, and shade a safety to Bryant's side if he didn't match him up one on one with Butler.

Also, the usual forcing of long, sustained drives for a rookie QB with McCourty probably coming up to try and cover Witten at times.

Noooooope
Yeah, I'm good too. While it would be great to finally beat them in a SB setting, I wouldn't want to gamble with the idea of losing a third time.

You think we could take them? I don't know who they have played this year other than Cleveland this weekend
They beat PHI and GB, too, although both of those teams seem inconsistent at the moment. The Pack is struggling and the Eagles have lost 4/5.

Dallas lost to the NYG in week one. I wouldn't even pencil Dallas in as winning the division yet.

Laugh if you will (and you probably will). The Chargers are a very similar team to the Raiders. They play virtually no defense, but can move the ball at will. Melvin Gordon is turning into a pretty dangerous back, and the passing offense has improved as the season has gone on. They've actually scored more points than the Raiders, and lead the AFC with total points, trailing only Atlanta in the NFL (albeit in 9 games).

The Chargers have lost by 6, 4, 1, 3, and 8 points. Meanwhile the Raiders won on a two-point conversion to escape the Saints, another 1-point victory over the Ravens, and needed OT to beat TB.

I realize I'm cherry-picking a bit, but it seems like with a little bit of altered luck the Chargers and Raiders would have similar records. With a similar team makeup, so if you're worried about one, you probably don't want to see the other sneak in either, which could certainly happen if the donkeys continue to falter.

Plus, the franchise wants revenge.

Maybe the fan base, but I have to imagine there isn't a player or coach still around from that era. And the owner died too.

Maybe Charles Woodson retired a year too early :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes