OTish: Neat chart on teams' 1st-2nd-3rd down run/pass tendencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Saw this kicking around the net. Neat to see the differences and commonalities between teams.

vGyIcKb

Rams lead the league in R-R-R percentage.

I want a number of the percentAge of times a run play was called after an incompletion on first down

Deleted the incorrect comment

Interesting how similar Rams and patriots are.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
What do the numbers mean?
That chart is a terrible display of good information IMNSHO. Pretty eye candy, but pretty useless for communicating meaning. I had to work to dig any insight out of it and that was hard and not very effective. Whoever constructed it should be required to read and understand Edward Tufte’s The Visual Display of Quantitative Information before ever being allowed to construct another graph.

I think a better design would have eschewed the stacked bar graph and instead used three bar graphs per team, one for each down, showing run/pass percentage on each. It would have communicated so much better that it would offset losing the nuances of multiple down tendencies, which did not communicate well enough to be useful anyway. IMO.

That chart is a terrible display of good information IMNSHO. Pretty eye candy, but pretty useless for communicating meaning. I had to work to dig any insight out of it and that was hard and not very effective. Whoever constructed it should be required to read and understand Edward Tufte’s The Visual Display of Quantitative Information before ever being allowed to construct another graph.

lol

who knew the pats were the 3rd most likely team to go run-run-run?

would prefer to see % of total for each incidence instead of rank vs all other teams. Also, position on field, down and distance come into play with regards to pass / run scenario. This chart isn't very usable to ascertain team tendencies.

guess that means their runs on 1st and 2nd down were sufficient to make it 3rd and short.

That is influenced by success, or failure in doing it.
If you run for -2 on first you probably aren’t running on second. If you run for 9 you probably are.
If you run for 12 you don’t make the chart because there was no 2nd or 3rd.
Yeah, this chart seems useless.

That is influenced by success, or failure in doing it.
If you run for -2 on first you probably aren’t running on second. If you run for 9 you probably are.
If you run for 12 you don’t make the chart because there was no 2nd or 3rd.
Yeah, this chart seems useless.
Yes. Lots of information, not much meaning.

I think a better design would have eschewed the stacked bar graph and instead used three bar graphs per team, one for each down, showing run/pass percentage on each. It would have communicated so much better that it would offset losing the nuances of multiple down tendencies, which did not communicate well enough to be useful anyway. IMO.
It was literally made by a Kangaroo.

The teams that use RRR the highest % of times are likely the teams that are playing with a lead the most time and trying to burn the clock- in other words, the best teams

CeLzIwkUMAAT9jV.jpg

Yes but it's only about 10% of the time. The thing I take from the chart is how Pats don't lead in any one category which makes their play calling unpredictable.

For example, look at HOU #1 with a large % of RPP plays. Same for PIT #1 with large % of PPP plays. Makes them more predictable.

On those two categories Pats are 12th and 18th respectively and those are their largest % combinations making their play calling more unpredictable.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back