PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - World Cup 2018 Thread

It's time baby! First game: Russia vs Saudi Arabia.

Although they have the "home" advantage, Russia is the worst placed team on FIFA. S.A is the second worst, though (facts not double checked), so it might be a balanced match

I think we start with a slight upset. SA over Russia

Although they have the "home" advantage, Russia is the worst placed team on FIFA. S.A is the second worst, though (facts not double checked), so it might be a balanced match

The match’s already over. Russia destroyed SA 5-0

It's going to be hosted at the Jets stadium in the Meadowlands.

So for the first time in many years, we will see great football being played there.

I wish they would host in DC, the nation’s capital, so I could go. Instead they decide to host it in a sewer state. They struggled logistically having the super bowl there a few years ago. Think what chaos is going to result by having the world cup final there.

Looked like men playing with boys despite Russia losing one of their best players early in the game to a hamstring.

Can't wait for the USMNT to miss qualifying again in 2022 even though like a quarter of the countries in the world will make it. Our country's youth development is a huge joke.

I bet Germany France and Croatia to win it. Bet Neymar as top goal scorer, so hopefully if Brazil wins he scores a lot

When does the US team play? Love watching Landon Donovan.

Regards,
Chris

Can't wait for the USMNT to miss qualifying again in 2022 even though like a quarter of the countries in the world will make it. Our country's youth development is a huge joke.
They're not gonna miss again in 2022.

2018 is the aberration.

So I started typing up a nice long personal preview of the tournament the other day.....and my laptop battery died without me saving it.

Basically my thoughts are this:

Germany stand out above every other team and despite losing some key players have simply replaced them with players off their seemingly never-ending conveyor belt of talent. Leadership could be an issue but their core is still incredibly experienced and battle-hardened. Look out for the brilliant Marco Reus who has missed the the last two international tournaments. He will provide some extra cutting edge of the back of a superb second half of the season for Borussia Dortmund.

I had a really long epithet typed out to how Spain had improved under Julen Lopetegui.....then he bolts for Real Madrid. They have a core of players that rivals every other team but the biggest issue is up front. Costa doesn't look like the player we once saw and has struggled linking with a supremely talented and inventive midfield. If they figure it out though, they could be the team to stop the Germans winning two in a row.

I've seen some doom and gloom around Portugal but I don't quite see it. Ronaldo has had a sparkling campaign as a predatorial number 9 (he's the football version of Madonna, able to reinvent himself as is required) and I think the Portuguese midfield has a lot about it. The backline is a question no doubt, I wonder if we will see Portugal play with something more akin to a diamond to help cover the lack of pace in the middle.

France......the Pittsburgh Steelers of the football world. An amazingly talented squad with a midfield and forward line that could beat half the teams in the tournament before they step on the field. But it's on the field where things fall down a bit. They've lost the street smarts that saw them become the best team in the world so many years ago, if that still young set of forwards puts it all together, they could really challenge like they haven't done since Zidane's time.

I'll post more thoughts later.....

Well, as soon as I hit send, Ronaldo goes down under no contact and it's a penalty....

1-0. Never in doubt. Not the start Spain wanted and this will play right into the hands of the European Champions.

Ronaldo is the man for the big occasions, as ever. He loves the spotlight.

Magnificent equaliser from Costa, took on the Portuguese backline and fired a rocket into the corner after holding off two challenges.

Looks like Spain have scored again, VAR time....

No goal, on the line. So unlucky. Spain have really picked up the pace in the last 15 minutes.

Portugal showing some of their old frailties. Losing the mental battle here more than the physical one......this is a dangerous free kick.

I will say that the World Cup is a good excuse to go to a bar at 10:00 in the morning. I don't particularly enjoy the sport, but it gives me an excuse.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back