PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- What will Goodell do? Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asking which Air Force base in Texas you were stationed at and to make matters worse, could not spell Wichita Falls. San Antonio and Fort Worth has one (Carswell)
If Goodell really wanted to punish Brady hed banish him to Wichita Falls for four weeks. Nothing to do there but hit up B Dubs lol.

People complaining Kaep being unAmerican because he is exercising his American given rights.

Shocked that you don't find any irony in that at all.

I don't see anybody saying that his protest is unAmerican, just expressing that it evidences ingratitude in the country that fostered Kaep's own rise to success. A bit like using the hand your mother labored to create for you to slap her.

Goodell needs to put an end to this buffoonery.

Goodell needs to put an end to this buffoonery.

Wait, so now you support Goodell's "**** it, I do what I want" commissioner powers? Strange, I seem to remember you singing a different tune pretty recently. Awfully hypocritical.

Not surprised, though, given how consistently you've been on the mark about literally everything relating to this. First you claimed he wouldn't get broad support, and yet the players are behind him and his jersey has become immensely popular. Then you claimed he was a selfish jerk who would never put his money where his mouth is, except he said that all money he gets from jersey sales is going to charity.

Wait, so now you support Goodell's "**** it, I do what I want" commissioner powers? Strange, I seem to remember you singing a different tune pretty recently. Awfully hypocritical.

Not surprised, though, given how consistently you've been on the mark about literally everything relating to this. First you claimed he wouldn't get broad support, and yet the players are behind him and his jersey has become immensely popular. Then you claimed he was a selfish jerk who would never put his money where his mouth is, except he said that all money he gets from jersey sales is going to charity.

When the hell did I say any of that?

You either just built the biggest straw-man ever, or have me completely mixed up with someone else.

Neither is this supporting "Goodell's **** it, do what I want powers" whatsoever.

Having an increasing amount of players turn the anthem into a political stance that promotes a false narrative (whole other topic) is unacceptable. You act as if I'm claiming he should suspend players.

People complaining Kaep being unAmerican because he is exercising his American given rights.

Shocked that you don't find any irony in that at all.

The only irony is that he never said a word about his 'issues' while a man on the way up.....and rears its ugly head when a breath from total irrelevance.....this whole thing literally came from nowhere

When it comes to free speech, I've seen harsher stuff.....this thing smells like a dog and pony show

Apologies if it's been posted before, but here's Ben Watson's take.

Uh -- the direct link isn't working well, so here's an indirect one:

Benjamin Watson's heartfelt response to Colin Kaepernick's anthem protest

tl;dr:
  • He stands for the national anthem, loves his country, etc. ...
  • ... in large part because he appreciates the progress in reducing racism ...
  • ... which he thinks is however still a serious problem.
  • I.e., he thinks CK is protesting a real problem, but picked a poor way to do it.
  • Generally, Watson is a religious conservative.

Apologies if it's been posted before, but here's Ben Watson's take.

Uh -- the direct link isn't working well, so here's an indirect one:

Benjamin Watson's heartfelt response to Colin Kaepernick's anthem protest

tl;dr:
  • He stands for the national anthem, loves his country, etc. ...
  • ... in large part because he appreciates the progress in reducing racism ...
  • ... which he thinks is however still a serious problem.
  • I.e., he thinks CK is protesting a real problem, but picked a poor way to do it.
  • Generally, Watson is a religious conservative.

I don't agree with everything he says but one thing that cannot be disputed is that he THINKS about what he says and everything is well thought out and reasoned.

I have often wondered why the national anthem is even played before sporting events. For what it's worth, I'm a guy who when he's walking and sees a flag touching the ground I move it so that it isn't touching. I also invariably get choked up when I hear the anthem played when our Olympians are on the podium for receipt of their medals.

I have often wondered why the national anthem is even played before sporting events.
This actually is a good question. It's gone on for decades so most people just accept it as custom. It is kind of nice in bringing us together at large gatherings as a people, reminding all of the common bond we share. What I find unnecessary at football games is the NFL's fawning deification of the military. I'd rather see them honor teachers, police and firefighters.

I have often wondered why the national anthem is even played before sporting events. For what it's worth, I'm a guy who when he's walking and sees a flag touching the ground I move it so that it isn't touching. I also invariably get choked up when I hear the anthem played when our Olympians are on the podium for receipt of their medals.

In the UK they play or played the national anthem at theatrical performances.

I specifically recall that from attending a D'Oyle Carte performance, of which it should be noted that that's the Gilbert & Sullivan company, so:
  • They have an orchestra conveniently present.
  • Every night, they're sort of recreating the late 19th Century.

Crickets.

Of course you go silent. You cannot prove I said any of that. I gave you a link to every single one of my posts in this thread.

Joe Kerr's TWO RULES FOR A HAPPY LIFE

Rule #1....**** GOODELL

Rule #2...in case of conflicting information, see Rule #1

Crickets.

Of course you go silent. You cannot prove I said any of that. I gave you a link to every single one of my posts in this thread.

God forbid someone go to sleep and not obsessively post here every hour of the day. I find it kinda weird that that possibility seems to have flown right past you.

Actually, the link didn't work but all the same... yup, my mistake. I'll own up to that, some the original post that I wrote wasn't actually true since I mistook you for someone else. Specifically, I thought you--the crazy weirdo who's floating that Kaepernick's a brainwashed secret muslim--had merely claimed that Kaepernick was being an attention whore. So if you want to call that a win then I guess you can go ahead, but the truth is significantly worse than what I mistakenly/falsely claimed.

Last edited:
How many of you stand up in your homes when the anthem is played on television?
Funny story. When I was a kid (maybe 5 years old) my mothers friend was visiting with her kid and he stood up and put his hand over his heart when the anthem was on before some game. We literally laughed at him for it, just because kids laugh at anyone who does something different.
My mother later explained to me that his father was an immigrant and he took pride in America very seriously and taught his kids total respect.
If I brought this up to my 2 brothers today, 45 years later we would share a good laugh about the kid who stood up for the anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes