PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tua Decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk I can see hesitations on trading up but QB has to be addressed. Vet, trade, draft. Think we have to make a move. Bill isn't just going to hand Stidham the job. He's going to have to earn it.
The Brady decision is first up as almost everything flows from that.

The Brady decision is first up as almost everything flows from that.

And I have a feeling Brady will milk them time wise until the very last second. I'd also be curious to see what the negotiations will look like if they can't come to terms with Brady before FA. Meaning, will they continue negotiating with him after the FA date, or whether he cuts off talks as soon as FA hits.

Whether you think Brady is coming back or not, QB is a need.
Have you dismissed Stidham as a prospect? Everyone always seems dazzled by the flashy new toy (video game culture).

Last edited:
Have you dismissed Stidham as a prospect? Everyone always seems dazzled by the flashy new toy (video game culture).
No, but I watch college football. I watch a ton of it. Given the region I live in, where I went to school, and my favorite team, I watch more SEC football than any other conference. I’ve watched Stidham since he first took over at Auburn. The US could nuke Iran into a pothole in the Earth before this kid can complete his wind-up. I also saw a lot of traits that will, and already have, get him into trouble at this level when his OL broke down in 2018. His eyes drop at the first sign of pressure. This led to panicked throws to his first read without even caring if that read was well covered. He’s going to need a lot of work to even become a somewhat respectable QB. Maybe he can do it, maybe he cannot. But Jarrett Stidham does not negate the need for a QB if an upgrade falls into their lap that is more ready-made for the NFL. Neither does Tom Brady who, by his own design, has a maximum amount of two years left. It’s a need.

Last edited:
No, but I watch college football. I watch a ton of it. Given the region I live in, where I went to school, and my favorite team, I watch more SEC football than any other conference. I’ve watched Stidham since he first took over at Auburn. The US could nuke Iran into a pothole in the Earth before this kid can complete his wind-up. I also saw a lot of traits that will, and already have, get him into trouble at this level when his OL broke down in 2017. His eyes drop at the first sign of pressure. This led to panicked throws to his first read without even caring if that read was well covered. He’s going to need a lot of work to even become a somewhat respectable QB. Maybe he can do it, maybe he cannot. But Jarrett Stidham does not negate the need for a QB if an upgrade falls into their lap that is more ready-made for the NFL. Neither does Tom Brady who, by his own design, has a maximum amount of two years left. It’s a need.

If they go with stidham and the same weapons i hope they’re in play for the number 1 pick.

If they go with stidham and the same weapons i hope they’re in play for the number 1 pick.
They wouldn’t be. The defense is too good and there will be too many teams that will flat out sucks in all 3 phases next year to have a shot at Lawrence.

I think we'll know pretty quickly if Pats believe in Stidham or not. They seem to move on from QBs pretty quickly year two if they don't like them. Although Mallett stunk and somehow stuck around like 3 years, but guess they must have liked him.

They wouldn’t be. The defense is too good and there will be too many teams that will flat out sucks in all 3 phases next year to have a shot at Lawrence.

Well how many teams need QB? Some already have their QB in play and this year as well. Idk about that.

I wouldn't hate Stafford. I think he's come around a bit these last few years.
Yea I've gone back n forth on him. Things never really come together the way you'd hope as a Lions fan. He'd get a few weapons but no defense or absolutely nothing at RB. You could do a lot worse in terms of a bridge QB until you found the future QB.

Not on this train. I hope the Dolphins take him though to remove the temptation from BB.
Better yet, we should act like he is our guy and set a team up to draft him.

No, but I watch college football. I watch a ton of it. Given the region I live in, where I went to school, and my favorite team, I watch more SEC football than any other conference. I’ve watched Stidham since he first took over at Auburn. The US could nuke Iran into a pothole in the Earth before this kid can complete his wind-up. I also saw a lot of traits that will, and already have, get him into trouble at this level when his OL broke down in 2018. His eyes drop at the first sign of pressure. This led to panicked throws to his first read without even caring if that read was well covered. He’s going to need a lot of work to even become a somewhat respectable QB. Maybe he can do it, maybe he cannot. But Jarrett Stidham does not negate the need for a QB if an upgrade falls into their lap that is more ready-made for the NFL. Neither does Tom Brady who, by his own design, has a maximum amount of two years left. It’s a need.
We both know I watch enough college football to fill a thimble, but even I can say you are (amazingly) dead wrong about Stidham's delivery. Qualities evaluators praised him for -- and which he demonstrated during both training camp and preseason games this past season -- were quick release and accuracy. Criticisms coming out of college primarily involved footwork and decision making. Reviews of his performance under pressure were mixed, as the OL he played behind in '18 was notoriously bad. I read one report that said he showed a lot of courage against the rush and another absolving him of the tendency to bail early for simple self-preservation. So aside from the footwork question he supposedly has pro-level mechanics and skills, decision-making being the great unknown. He was sacked nine times during preseason games which could mean holding onto the ball too long or overcompensating for his rep as an early bailer. An added plus is he can run, though not a speedster. BB appears to like him, so maybe he has something.

We both know I watch enough college football to fill a thimble, but even I can say you are (amazingly) dead wrong about Stidham's delivery. Qualities evaluators praised him for -- and which he demonstrated during both training camp and preseason games this past season -- were quick release and accuracy. Criticisms coming out of college primarily involved footwork and decision making. Reviews of his performance under pressure were mixed, as the OL he played behind in '18 was notoriously bad. I read one report that said he showed a lot of courage against the rush and another absolving him of the tendency to bail early for simple self-preservation. So aside from the footwork question he supposedly has pro-level mechanics and skills, decision-making being the great unknown. He was sacked nine times during preseason games which could mean holding onto the ball too long or overcompensating for his rep as an early bailer. An added plus is he can run, though not a speedster. BB appears to like him, so maybe he has something.
I though pocket presence/awareness was his biggest concern/weakness coming out.

One thing I loved hearing from Nick was that we basically picked him bc of his peaks/highs which I love hearing. Smart teams focus on what a player can as opposed to what said prospect can't do.

I though pocket presence/awareness was his biggest concern/weakness coming out.

One thing I loved hearing from Nick was that we basically picked him bc of his peaks/highs which I love hearing. Smart teams focus on what a player can as opposed to what said prospect can't do.
If the OL he played behind truly was as bad as reported, getting a reliable evaluation on that would be difficult, wouldn't you say? (At least involving his junior season.) His stats dropped across the board from sophomore to junior seasons but the OL keeps coming up as the culprit. Cumulatively, though, he comes across as pretty steady through three college seasons. What sells me on guys like this are quick release/accuracy, which Garoppolo demonstrated -- either you have it or you don't and it can't be taught.

As a prospect, no. As a QB for a deep playoff run or chance at a Super Bowl, most definitely.

As a prospect, no. As a QB for a deep playoff run or chance at a Super Bowl, most definitely.
You must know a lot about him to say "definitely." Or is that just a hunch?

If the OL he played behind truly was as bad as reported, getting a reliable evaluation on that would be difficult, wouldn't you say? (At least involving his junior season.) His stats dropped across the board from sophomore to junior seasons but the OL keeps coming up as the culprit. Cumulatively, though, he comes across as pretty steady through three college seasons. What sells me on guys like this are quick release/accuracy, which Garoppolo demonstrated -- either you have it or you don't and it can't be taught.
Yes & no. I guess it's on who you ask tbh?

The offense in general was just a mess. Coaching, OL, WRs. None of it was good or very helpful. That said the bad sacks (which are more on QBs than OL), dancing in the pocket, indecision etc is on him. I believe he had average time to throw in the pocket compared to his peers if I remember correctly. Could be wrong abt that I'm kinda going off the top.

Again his highs were really good. His lows were equally as bad tho imo.

I had a 3rd on him so I like the pick a lot considering where we got him.

Him & Jimmy really displayed a lot of similar strengths/weaknesses. Definitely pulling for him.

You must know a lot about him to say "definitely." Or is that just a hunch?
What have you possibly seen from Stidham to make you think he is a legit playoff QB? Brady had a magical season in 01, growing pains in 02 and started to come into his own in 03. Oh and he is the Goat. It is so, so rare to take a QB with Stidhams level of NFL experience and compete for a championship yet alone make the playoffs. So, yeah, definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back