PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Training Camp Injuries (rest of NFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats players and coaches have complained about the Gillette surface, but it's not clear that it is worse from the point of view of susceptibility to ACL injury than other turfs. Edelman, of course, injured himself in a non-contact injury on the Detroit field.

I haven't seen any hard data about the pros and cons of turf against natural grass. I'd assumed that the relative rarity of ACLs in soccer might be significant, but there are quite a few in rugby, which is played on natural grass. Of course, given their economic interests, I wouldn't expect the NFL to be rushing to publish data that shows turf in a bad light ...

Rivers' ACL was also non-contact - on a ST play, IIRC. And I think that happened on the Texans' practice field in North Carolina somewhere.

-----
EDIT:
Now that I think about it, I seem to recall some football analysis site charted different types of injuries broken out by brand/model of artificial turf, and that there was a significant variance. Can't remember what site, though.

@maineman209

Your memory is far better than mine -- can you think of anyone who came back and played as well as they did before an ACL tear? (I'm not counting Brady -- his game isn't ... er, based on lower-body athleticism.)

This could have happened in any padded practice session or -- even more likely -- during joint practices. What is the difference ?

Mike Lombardi was talking about this in a recent Ringer NFL pod. They were discussing the CLE coaching staff as it appeared on Hard Knocks. I didn't watch the HK episode, so I'm relying on their description of what was said.

Basically, Hue Jackson talks a good game about having a tough team, but doesn't implement the program / discipline / attitude to make that actually occur. Case in point was that the head trainer's contriubtion to the meeting was to tell the coach which guys needed a practice off for rest (as opposed to injury). The gist being, let's get guys to the season healthy.

Lombardi thought this was nonsense. He was like "can you imagine a trainer telling Parcells or Belichick that?" Essentially he said that any team that doesn't practice hard isn't preparing to play a season hard. Teams that don't expect to lose players from the first day of mini-camp through the playoffs don't construct their rosters accordingly and are therefore relying on luck with injuries to get by.

Interesting food for thought - to me.

@maineman209

Your memory is far better than mine -- can you think of anyone who came back and played as well as they did before an ACL tear? (I'm not counting Brady -- his game isn't ... er, based on lower-body athleticism.)
Adrian Peterson. Tore ACL Christmas 2011, won 2012 MVP w 348 carries for 2097 yds.

@maineman209

I can't recall a player who was back to 100% in his first season post-injury, but that's not to say that no one has. Probably not a WR, RB or DB, though. Welker seemed to be 100% back to pre-injury form in his second season after.

EDIT: I should have scrolled down to the comment from @ForThoseAboutToRock before posting the above.

Just read that Jadeveon Clowney was being taken off the field in a cart. Houston can’t catch a break on defense.

And we need all the Breaks;) we can get early on.:cool:

Rashaad Penny has a broken finger. Will be out 3-4 weeks. That’s valuable time he’ll be missing in preseason.

@maineman209

Someone mentioned Adrian Peterson. Also worth bringing up is Welker, although he wasn't fully recovered until the season after he returned (hurt January 2010, played entire 2010 season with slight dip in production, absolutely blew up the two years after).

...It seems like the common factor behind ACL injuries is deceleration plus torsion, and that can come with or without contact. That makes sense to me (Edelman's non-contact injury came as he made a wicked cut)...
...as did Ebner's, in Foxborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back