PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sox Fire Cora

I don’t follow baseball much anymore but used to be a pretty big fan.

It sure was weird when he came to Boston and seemed to make the team better using magic. He kept getting all kinds of credit for making the right calls and supposedly being a great strategist and opponent scout. To my knowledge, baseball managers used to have a job of scratching their ass. Now they have the job of scratching their ass while a computer tells them what to do based on probability. They’re like the guy who moved the chess pieces for Deep Blue. So it was always kind of strange to me that their manager supposedly brought them up like two tiers. Now we know why.

I would consider being a baseball fan again if Houston and the Bankofamericasox were forced to forfeit their recent World Series titles because of this incredibly blatant cheating, which no doubt contributed heavily to their seasons' success. It makes no sense to sanction the teams and individuals involved but let the championships stand. MLB just can't be taken seriously.

There were complaints and reports from other teams over the last few years, and obviously entire teams (including all the players and staff) were in on it. Baseball lost my interest after learning the steroid scandal went down the exact same way. The league didn’t want to tarnish its image, so they let it go on and on until it destroyed their image. Same old MLB.

Honestly I haven't paid too much attention to all of this until now. Is this form of cheating really that significant to the general outcome?
It was as bad as can be imagined: electronically monitoring catcher signs real-time and alerting batters what kind of pitch was coming via signals from the dugout. It's the whole game, really.

It was as bad as can be imagined: electronically monitoring catcher signs real-time and alerting batters what kind of pitch was coming via signals from the dugout. It's the whole game, really.
oh my god. a baseball thread in the main forum? sound the alarm. give me this guy and all is well.
Bruce Bochy

I haven't followed the Sox for two or three years. Lost interest after I cut cable. But this whole thing feels a bit overblown. Two teams are going to pay the penalty for what many other teams were doing.

" Alex Cora was the Mastermind". Give me a freaking break. He didn't invent stealing signs in baseball. That shyt has been going on for decades if not forever and is why the catchers visit the mound every other pitch. Which extends the game by over an hour. Which is one of the reasons why baseball is dying.

Baseball could have handled this by modernizing the game but instead they pull a Goodell like move and " lay the hammer down on the only two teams that have ever stole a signal."

Can't wait for the pine tar scandal that will fry the only two pitchers that have ever used it.

Oh , and Henry makes Kraft look like Thor.

Welcome to Boston, Chaim.

Regards,
Chris

I haven't followed the Sox for two or three years. Lost interest after I cut cable. But this whole thing feels a bit overblown. Two teams are going to pay the penalty for what many other teams were doing.

" Alex Cora was the Mastermind". Give me a freaking break. He didn't invent stealing signs in baseball. That shyt has been going on for decades if not forever and is why the catchers visit the mound every other pitch. Which extends the game by over an hour. Which is one of the reasons why baseball is dying.

Baseball could have handled this by modernizing the game but instead they pull a Goodell like move and " lay the hammer down on the only two teams that have ever stole a signal."

Can't wait for the pine tar scandal that will fry the only two pitchers that have ever used it.
Those Astros guys were only "banned" (give me a break) for one year.

One year is nothing. Big deal.

Durocher the Spymaster: How much did the Giants prosper from cheating in 1951? | Society for American Baseball Research

Not surprised by Henry. I remember being astonished the Sox let Orlando Cabrera go after he played sensationally in 2004, stabilized his position and the team leading them to that historic World Series.

It was much later revealed that the reason had nothing whatever to do with baseball. So the guy wasn't a saint; but I see no arrest record ever of the guy.

This is the worst I can find, one season in Chicago:

It was a bad year for Cabrera's image

I would have been perfectly all right with Cora serving a "ban" (suspension) and coming back here. I, for one, am grateful for his efforts.

I've seen pine tar, Billy Martin, steroids, and more, not to mention stickum in the NFL.

Lance Armstrong is a cheater. Alex Cora? Sounds more like a scapegoat.

But do you know the details of the technological lengths Cora went to? It's pretty outrageous, he took sign stealing to a whole new level.

I would consider being a baseball fan again if Houston and the Bankofamericasox were forced to forfeit their recent World Series titles because of this incredibly blatant cheating, which no doubt contributed heavily to their seasons' success. It makes no sense to sanction the teams and individuals involved but let the championships stand. MLB just can't be taken seriously.

Really? Did you see their road record? Its better than home. I think this is way overblown as far as the severity.

I saw what The Cardinals did as far worse.

My "care" rankings with professional Boston men's sports:

1. Patriots
2. Bruins (hockey)
3. Celtics (basketball)
4. Free Jacks (rugby)
5. Night Riders (quidditch)
6. Cannons (lacrosse)
7. Homeless Go Cart Racing (a division of Nascar)
8. Revolution ("football")
9. Beans (bean bag throwing team founded by B&M)
10. Unicorns (not sure what sport)
99. Red Sox (ugh)

Really? Did you see their road record? Its better than home. I think this is way overblown as far as the severity.
What could be worse in baseball than a batter secretly knowing exactly what pitch is coming?

Stealing signs in baseball. Why ive never heard of such a thing. Who saw that coming?

They did not fire Cora, it was a mutual decision to part ways. Do you know if Cora did not just resign?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back