PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Soccer World Cup Final Argentina France

If the US gets a new coach, we may actually see the US in a semifinal

That sucked.

...but happy for Messi to get one.

Enjoyed the game. Happy for Messi

Question for all you soccer people. NFL isn't only sports diversion. I loved baseball as a kid, but now can't name a single player on the Red Sox. Will never watch again. I despise basketball. I watch hockey in the playoffs, and I do follow the Bruins thru highlights after the games are done.

If I was to give soccer a chance, what league is the best? I would want to watch the best players and teams. Follow a season. Pick a rooting interest and follow along.

What league is best? What team(s) should I consider? When are the seasons, etc.?

Thanks. I am a free agent fan looking for a home.

We have talent. Just play dumb.
I agree on the talent. I know a current UEFA coach pretty well; he's not in the top 5 leagues. We discussed the US team recently and he said that even though we don't have a top guy, overall we are as skilled as any in the world outside the top 3 or 4. He said "as skilled as the Netherlands." Then we talked about the naive and amateurish tactics. We just lack almost total knowledge of the game. He said you rarely see teams that are highly skilled like the USA but who lack strategy. He compared us to the top African teams.

This is why we need a real coach.

Question for all you soccer people. NFL isn't only sports diversion. I loved baseball as a kid, but now can't name a single player on the Red Sox. Will never watch again. I despise basketball. I watch hockey in the playoffs, and I do follow the Bruins thru highlights after the games are done.

If I was to give soccer a chance, what league is the best? I would want to watch the best players and teams. Follow a season. Pick a rooting interest and follow along.

What league is best? What team(s) should I consider? When are the seasons, etc.?

I would watch the English Premier League if i were you just because it's always on in the USA, they have the world's best players overall, the fans are into it, it's got tradition, etc.

The top teams are Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. Or Tottenham if you want to experience constant heartbreak. I've been watching the League for many many years but I've never really been able to pick a team. I do mostly root for Liverpool right now, but I really don't care when they lose. I just like the coach and many of the players. The only team I ever really rooted hard for was Leicester when they joined the league from the 2nd division and managed to win the championship, which is considered the greatest underdog story in soccer history. Only USA Hockey 1980 tops it.

All that being said, I lived in Italy in the late 1980s when I started following AC Milan, so I'm always partial to Serie A (the Italian League). I pay Paramount + $4.99 a month just to watch a style of soccer that is rough, gritty, lots of fights, compared to the English League. Though I was young when I was a fan of AC Milan, I switched to watching Napoli about 10 years ago, and I'm still a fan of theirs, even though I would tear my hair out if I were in the same zip code as any of their fanbase. They make 98.5 the Sportshub seem like eternal optimists, and positive supporters. Ultranegative fanbase.

The Premier League is the most competitive, but if you really want to have fun watch the Champions League. That's the best soccer in the world

The Premier League is the most competitive, but if you really want to have fun watch the Champions League. That's the best soccer in the world
The Premier League is the one from England that @upstater1 mentioned. I am familiar with some of the team names there. What and where is the Champions League?

And when do these leagues run? Regular season, offseason, playoffs etc.

Thanks, guys.

The Premier League is the one from England that @upstater1 mentioned. I am familiar with some of the team names there. What and where is the Champions League?

Thanks, guys.
Champions League takes the top 3 or 4 teams from the top 5 leagues, adds the champ from the other leagues, and they have a continent wide tournament. The minor league Champions have to qualify in early season games to become part of the final 32. Champions League games are played midweek 2x a month for the entire season with the European Championship happening in May after the league seasons are all over.

August through April is the season for these leagues.

Thanks, guys.
There are no play offs in such standard leagues, PL has 38 games and its kind of 2 times each team against each other home/away through the year, season starts mid August and ends roughly end of May, same for the Primera division if you'd like to watch Real Madrid and Barcelona, CL however bas a knock out phase starting now in mid Feb also with home/away game until final thats like superbowl just one game (Group stages from Sep to Dez are kind of boring bcs the top 10 teams are so far ahead of the rest bcs there is no salary cap so you have the top teams owned by billionairs that are just buying the best player as soon as they can run straigt without falling over their feet)

Thus these World Cup tournaments and European Championship with national teams are way more fun bcs they are representing their county you can't buy players like with the club football, its a different atmospehere and way harder to succeed.

Thanks, guys.
Premier League is the best league in the world. To give a perspective on the teams to choose from, I’ll try to compare to football teams.

Manchester United - Dallas Cowboys : probably leagues most historically famous team

Manchester City - KC Chiefs: Best team right now. Will be competing for the title for years to come

Liverpool - Pittsburgh Steelers: Always near the top of the league. Historical team.

Tottenham - LA Rams : London based team. Usually pretty good

Arsenal - San Fran : London based. Pretty good history

Chelsea - NY Giants : London based. Pretty good history

Thanks, guys.
The Champions League is the competition where all the European Leagues send their top 4 clubs of the previous season. So you could see Real Madrid vs Manchester United etc That's the most prestigious soccer completion after the World Cup. The Champions League starts when League play begins and ends in May

You might want to consider the Champion's League which is a tournament between all the top European teams.

You might want to consider the Champion's League which is a tournament between all the top European teams.
I just checked the Premier League standings and the Champion's League scores on ESPN.

I am so f'ing confused, LOL.

So the top teams in various leagues compete in another simultaneous league, right? Crazy. Sounds really cool.

What if a team in the Champions League starts having a horrible season in their "home" league? How many teams from each league compete?

I saw a couple Premier teams in the recent scores along with Milan, Real Madrid, and some others I know are from elsewhere. My head is spinning.

For the Premier League, I will need to consult a map and figure out which team is closest to a place called Bury St Edmunds. That's where my people are from before coming to Newbury MA in the early 1600's.

I like the English Premier League too.

I just checked the Premier League standings and the Champion's League scores on ESPN.

I am so f'ing confused, LOL.

So the top teams in various leagues compete in another simultaneous league, right? Crazy. Sounds really cool.

What if a team in the Champions League starts having a horrible season in their "home" league? How many teams from each league compete?

I saw a couple Premier teams in the recent scores along with Milan, Real Madrid, and some others I know are from elsewhere. My head is spinning.

For the Premier League, I will need to consult a map and figure out which team is closest to a place called Bury St Edmunds. That's where my people are from before coming to Newbury MA in the early 1600's.
London is the closest big city to Bury with 63miles so quite some teams to follow

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back