PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Simmoms ... Atlanta Front Office Does Not Want Bill.

Rich McKay is chairman of the NFL Competition Committee, which proposes rules changes. OF COURSE BB is going to bump heads with that guy -- probably early, often and pretty damn hard. For that reason alone I'm surprised he's a serious candidate in Atlanta.
Arthur Blank wants to win now. Blank overriding the gm? Thats my guess as to why he has been kept alive in the process

Arthur Blank wants to win now. Blank overriding the gm? Thats my guess as to why he has been kept alive in the process

IF BB gets the job, he likely will want to answer only to Blank, otherwise having his way with everything/everyone.

IF BB gets the job, he likely will want to answer only to Blank, otherwise having his way with everything/everyone.
at the very least some sort of power sharing compromise will need to be reached

The Panthers just hired their former LB, Dan Morgan, as their new GM. Doesn’t sound like they’re interested in Bill.
All across the NFL owners are becoming more involved in football operations. This is true in Tennessee, Carolina, Philly, maybe even New England. It's the trend.

I don't know why, but if I had to speculate, the franchise value of $5-$7b for most of these teams has made this into much more than what it used to be. The NFL was a side gig and a hobby for many owners who had businesses elsewhere. Now the NFL has overwhelmed their business interests. Obviously this may not be true for some of them, but for an increasing number it is.

I don't know why, but if I had to speculate, the franchise value of $5-$7b for most of these teams has made this into much more than what it used to be. The NFL was a side gig and a hobby for many owners who had businesses elsewhere. Now the NFL has overwhelmed their business interests. Obviously this may not be true for some of them, but for an increasing number it is.

It's more than that now. It's a super-sized social engineering platform with more drug money behind it than all of the owners' wealth combined.

What have you done for me lately league
Not shocked he's only had 1 team look at him per reports

All across the NFL owners are becoming more involved in football operations. This is true in Tennessee, Carolina, Philly, maybe even New England. It's the trend.

The NFL is going global.

There is a game in Brazil this coming 2024 season. A game in Munich and 3 games in England. The interest for a franchise is there in Great Britain. The fans there were happy just to see QB Mac Jones. After years of watching soccer and nothing happening for hours, Jones and the Pats offense seemed completely normal not scoring.

The NFL is increasing overseas games to 8 beginning 2025.

If you’re the falcons or any of these **** franchises that don’t have a coach at the moment and Bill wants to coach your franchise you give him the keys tomorrow!

Bill’s time was done here, but it’s malpractice not hiring him if you’re a soulless franchise like the Falcons

Give Bill and Josh the HC and OC roles in Philly they’re playing in February next year

I am sure Jonnu Smith is hoping this does not comes to fruition. The last time he played for BB he had career lows in everything.

Last edited:
Bill Simmons said on eponymous podcast:

I mean they have a point ... what coaching staff would want Bill?

The biggest obstacle to Belichick getting a HC job is going to be control. I doubt Belichick wants anyone other than an owner above him, and teams with a GM aren’t going to want to deal with him.

The biggest obstacle to Belichick getting a HC job is going to be control. I doubt Belichick wants anyone other than an owner above him, and teams with a GM aren’t going to want to deal with him.
Yup. The league is just different. We don't have the whole "dictator coach that controls everything" mentality that used to persist in the past. Andy Reid doesn't want to do it, Pete wasn't doing. The Patriots were the last bastion of the coach shopping for the groceries and if you read between the lines of Kraft's press conference, Bil was fired mostly because they were over having him be the ultimate authority on all aspects of the team.

It's hard to envision a scenario where a team rips apart their front office for Bill to assume total control. Part of it is that he's 72 and not a longterm deal, but part of it is just that the NFL doesn't function that way anymore. Bill was an anomaly here and we kept it going until it stopped working. If he really wants full control, he's fighting an uphill battle and it's limiting already limited options.

If not Atlanta hard to see BB getting one of the other positions.

Carolina-Young QB that needs developing, bad offense needs fixing, just hired new GM= not a fit at all
Commanders-Just hired a strong GM, no chance they go BB, Ben Johnson seems like the fit here
Seahawks-Not replacing 70+ year old Carroll with 70+ year old BB, have strong GM in place
Chargers-Possible but they look like Harbaugh landing spot. If Atlanta takes Harbaugh, then this is the only other possible landing spot.
Falcons-I'm Assuming they pass on BB based on recent reports. Since Blank wants him still possible but I think it is Falcons or none

BB not getting a HC gig would be positive in terms of keeping Steve and Brian on the staff, which I think is a positive.

Unless some surprise opening pops up it looks like it is Atlanta or nothing for Bill. Crazy to think he might not be on the sidelines anywhere next year.

The NFL is going global.

There is a game in Brazil this coming 2024 season. A game in Munich and 3 games in England. The interest for a franchise is there in Great Britain. The fans there were happy just to see QB Mac Jones. After years of watching soccer and nothing happening for hours, Jones and the Pats offense seemed completely normal not scoring.

The NFL is increasing overseas games to 8 beginning 2025.
That will all change in week 5, you know it and I know it.

Unless some surprise opening pops up it looks like it is Atlanta or nothing for Bill. Crazy to think he might not be on the sidelines anywhere next year.
Yeah I'd give better than even odds that BB is not coaching next year.

Yup. The league is just different. We don't have the whole "dictator coach that controls everything" mentality that used to persist in the past. Andy Reid doesn't want to do it, Pete wasn't doing. The Patriots were the last bastion of the coach shopping for the groceries and if you read between the lines of Kraft's press conference, Bil was fired mostly because they were over having him be the ultimate authority on all aspects of the team.

It's hard to envision a scenario where a team rips apart their front office for Bill to assume total control. Part of it is that he's 72 and not a longterm deal, but part of it is just that the NFL doesn't function that way anymore. Bill was an anomaly here and we kept it going until it stopped working. If he really wants full control, he's fighting an uphill battle and it's limiting already limited options.
If I had to decide between Bill Belichick and Rich McKay, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't choose McKay.

I would imagine that Bill's okay with some kind of GM, because he has to be at this stage, but I don't blame him for thinking the Falcons can do better.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back