PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Simmoms ... Atlanta Front Office Does Not Want Bill.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Bill Simmons said on eponymous podcast:

'The Atlanta thing, there's a lot of buzz going around right now about the Atlanta job, that the executives that are there are trying - and I've heard this, I'm telling you from so many different people - basically Arthur Blank wants to hire Bill Belichick, and all the front office people in Atlanta don't want to hire Belichick because it's like any big company - sports franchises are like microcosms of all big companies,' Simmons said on his eponymous podcast.
The people that run the franchise, they just want to keep their jobs, they're in job preservation mode, so they're like ''Maybe we hire Raheem Morris.'' Yeah, you hire Raheem Morris, he's young, you'll have your job for five more years.' 'You bring in Belichick - you think Belichick's going to listen to like [John] McKay's kid … or [general manager Terry] Fontenot. He's going to be like, ''I'm going to do my own thing.'''

I mean they have a point ... what coaching staff would want Bill?

Last edited:
Not surprising. Rich McKay has spent years consolidating his power base in Atlanta. I'm sure he doesn't want the inevitable conflict that will happen.

BB is going to have a uphill battle finding a new job. The trend in the nfl is to hire younger coaches, and at near 72, thats will be a deciding factor for a lot of teams in their coaching decisions.

Not surprising. Rich McKay has spent years consolidating his power base in Atlanta. I'm sure he doesn't want the inevitable conflict that will happen.

BB is going to have a uphill battle finding a new job. The trend in the nfl is to hire younger coaches, and at near 72, thats will be a deciding factor for a lot of teams in their coaching decisions.
I am going to go out on a limb and say he's not getting the job. If they are continuing to interview, they aren't going to hire him, otherwise it would be done. Something happened in the second interview and McKay and Fontenot don't want him.

You have to give him control, he's 72, so he's a short term answer. So you bring in his system (him) and then in 2-3 years you're back here looking for a young guy.

He's the GOAT, but his best days are behind him.

I am going to go out on a limb and say he's not getting the job. If they are continuing to interview, they aren't going to hire him, otherwise it would be done. Something happened in the second interview and McKay and Fontenot don't want him.

You have to give him control, he's 72, so he's a short term answer. So you bring in his system (him) and then in 2-3 years you're back here looking for a young guy.

That’s the rub, it’s a short term hire, and everyone other then the owner is in job preservation mode.

Only way it works is

1) owner completely cleans house and goes with BB

2) owner runs the football operations like Jerry Jones but that ship has already sailed

A lot of people on here thought there’d be a lineup for BB, but it looks like he doesn’t have to many options right now.

BB is going to have a uphill battle finding a new job.
I thought the same immediately after "agreed to part ways" with Pats was done

This doesn't surprise me. All rumors were that Arthur Blank really wanted Bill, then they had interviews.... then they just started interviewing other candidates and a rumor came out that someone else would get approval over the coach. Sounds like their is a dispute over Bill Belichick.

I said before, it's probably Atlanta or bust for Bill, he might need to start smoothing things over or making concessions.

agreed... 10 years ago? he's house hunting in Buckhead and looking for a weekend retreat on Lake Lanier already... but today? realities of the NFL

This is the problem I see too. How do you justify giving someone with only a few years all the control to shape your organization knowing he's not going to be there longterm? I could see if it was like the Cowboys and they thought they could win right away in the next 3 seasons. But the Falcons aren't Super Bowl contenders next year. So you already sort of know Bill's first year or so will be just him building something he might get a year with.

It sounds like if Bill wants to continue coaching he may have to compromise. I can understand why a team wouldn't give a short term hire full control.

Rich McKay and Terry Fontenot may win the battle but continue to lose the war. The owner is an old guy who wants to win now, if he “Bob Kraft‘s“ on this latest hire and they wind up with 9 wins or less again next season they will for good reasons be house hunting themselves.

This is how organizations screw themselves, which is why I’m suddenly quite skeptical about what the near term holds for our Pats under the know-it-all twins Amos Alonzo Kraft and Never Played Competitive Sports Jonathan

This was always a risk without another team entering the fray. As for short-termed.... almost everyone gets about 3 years to move the needle. How many of them can hit the ground running? Old or not?

I bet there are some teams keeping their powder dry. If Atlanta falls through, they can come in and get a better deal. Belichick wants that record

The Panthers just hired their former LB, Dan Morgan, as their new GM. Doesn’t sound like they’re interested in Bill.
Wonder if they try to hire Ben Johnson again.

Now who would want to hire the coach that brought his opposing team back from a 28 - 3 deficit in the biggest game of the year??!! These guys are probably just getting their pants back from the cleaners from that experience and don’t want to walk in the office everyday to be reminded of their sheer incompetence in blowing an almost insurmountable lead along with the game… The owner should tell them to put their big boy pants on and get over it….

Rich McKay is chairman of the NFL Competition Committee, which proposes rules changes. OF COURSE BB is going to bump heads with that guy -- probably early, often and pretty damn hard. For that reason alone I'm surprised he's a serious candidate in Atlanta.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back