PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Random Kudos on the use of "Recency Bias"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides SB 51? There’s the 1958 NFL Championship, I remember 10 or so years ago the Packers beat the Seahawks on a pick 6 (the “we want the ball and we’re gonna win!” Hasselbeck game), the Panthers walked off against the Rams in the same year we would later beat them in SB38, and I remember good ole’ Flipper Anderson running off the field straight into the locker room in the Meadowlands one year.
They mean in regulation as time expires... clock goes to zero seconds before (during the actual play) he even scored the TD. Never happened in a playoff game ever before apparently

Um, since when does an overtime touchdown not count as a walk off touchdown?
They mean the clock literally runs out on regulation between the last snap and the winning TD.

Greatest baseball player ever - Babe Ruth
Greatest basketball player ever - Bill Russell
Greatest hockey player ever - Bobby Orr (defenseman), Wayne Gretzky (forward), #3 Gordy Howe
Greatest football player ever - Jim Brown or Tom Brady
Greatest sporting event ever - USA over Russia in 1980 Olympics hockey
Greatest U.S. president ever - George Washington

Screw recency bias
Ruth not the best baseball player ever by any stretch.

I have recency bias in sports because the television flushed so much money and national attention into the games the leagues (less so with baseball) were changed. 50's era NFL leagues had 12 teams and middle class salaries. Not only will you not attract the best athletes to fill out rosters, but winning titles was far easier. Just to win a conference championship today you have to be better than 15 other teams, 31 to get a ring. They beat out 11 teams half full of guys who play the game like a part time job.
Maybe but this current league is mostly **** teams who have no chance.

best football game-ending play I ever saw, at any level, was the Hail Flutie pass to beat U. Miami

It's much more common in college for some reason... Cal-Stanford lateral through the band, Colorado quarterback Kordell Stewart's 64-yard Hail Mary pass to Michael Westbrook, etc.

What about Young to Owens in 98 playoffs over GB?

Close, but there was still a little time left. San Fran had to kick off to GB. The kickoff was returned 40 yards before SF forced a fumble, ending the game.

Relative to his peers he was. He raised the single season home run record from 9 to 60.

They mean in regulation as time expires... clock goes to zero seconds before (during the actual play) he even scored the TD. Never happened in a playoff game ever before apparently
It may have been what they meant, but it wasn't what they said.

best football game-ending play I ever saw, at any level, was the Hail Flutie pass to beat U. Miami

It's much more common in college for some reason... Cal-Stanford lateral through the band, Colorado quarterback Kordell Stewart's 64-yard Hail Mary pass to Michael Westbrook, etc.
That may be a function of there being about 4 times as many college games, not to mention that kids are much more likely to make mistakes.

Close, but there was still a little time left. San Fran had to kick off to GB. The kickoff was returned 40 yards before SF forced a fumble, ending the game.
And yesterday's game ended on a kneel down..... so I submit that the OT games are the only true "walk off" touchdowns.

Not going for the conversion routinely on fourth down is an example of loss aversion.

He hit more home runs in a season than any other entire team then went out and had a 94-46 record pitching including a 23 and 24 win season (with Boston)

If he is not the best baseball player ever, who is?

It was romo talking about how when qbs are gone you forget about them and they're no longer in the goat conversation. Meanwhile brady keeps going and kind of wins by default. Kind of.

He hit more home runs in a season than any other entire team then went out and had a 94-46 record pitching including a 23 and 24 win season (with Boston)

If he is not the best baseball player ever, who is?
They didn't even allow black players to play against him. Also, MLB was kind of a joke for a long time. NYY, Dodgers, Giants were like the "Majors" and many other teams played and ran themselves like developmental teams. Ruth was fat, couldn't run.

It is a similar argument as like taking a basketball player from the 1940s or somethng (Ruth much earlier obviously) and saying he is the greatest ever. There is simply no way Babe Ruth is the greatest player ever lived.

Also, he might be just a legend from the past anyway (like Jesus) Not sure if he ever existed for sure. /sarc

Relative to his peers he was. He raised the single season home run record from 9 to 60.

He was also a Hall of Fame caliber pitcher. Ruth being the greatest of all-time in baseball seems like the least controversial of all of those positions (well, except hockey, though Deus cheated by picking three).

He was also a Hall of Fame caliber pitcher. Ruth being the greatest of all-time in baseball seems like the least controversial of all of those positions (well, except hockey, though Deus cheated by picking three).

I think hockey is different. Orr and Gretzky both completely revolutionized the game to the point that they were almost playing different sports in some ways, and Howe was an absolute freak of nature, who's greatness is such that both Orr and Gretzky bow to it. But, I think each player opens up a question, specifically when it comes to being the G.O.A.T.. Is Gretzky the G.O.A.T., when he was allergic to board work and fighting, and would never have survived back in the earlier eras? Is Orr the G.O.A.T., when his greatness was cut short by injury? Is Howe the G.O.A.T., when so much of his legacy is about longevity rather than sheer dominance?

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd probably choose Orr (best overall greatness) over Gretzky (longest period of sheer dominance in his era) over Howe (great to good for the longest time). But, for purposes of my post, any of the three would suit.

They didn't even allow black players to play against him. Also, MLB was kind of a joke for a long time. NYY, Dodgers, Giants were like the "Majors" and many other teams played and ran themselves like developmental teams. Ruth was fat, couldn't run.

It is a similar argument as like taking a basketball player from the 1940s or somethng (Ruth much earlier obviously) and saying he is the greatest ever. There is simply no way Babe Ruth is the greatest player ever lived.

Also, he might be just a legend from the past anyway (like Jesus) Not sure if he ever existed for sure. /sarc

Ahhhhh. Well, as primetime mentions above Ruth seems to be the unanimous pick when it comes to GOAT MLB players - this coming from most pro sports writers and baseball aficionados. Sure the league was different then just as the NBA was different when Russell played (less teams). You can make an argument for any era being more difficult or easier to fit a narrative.

Regarding your statement about black players. Lets say we use that argument that Ruth did not play against black players. That means that if they removed black players from the game today, some white guy would have to hit more home runs than any other whole team did combined. Then go out and pitch 20 win seasons which I now assume would be higher since he did not have to pitch against black players????

Ahhhhh. Well, as primetime mentions above Ruth seems to be the unanimous pick when it comes to GOAT MLB players - this coming from most pro sports writers and baseball aficionados. Sure the league was different then just as the NBA was different when Russell played (less teams). You can make an argument for any era being more difficult or easier to fit a narrative.

Regarding your statement about black players. Lets say we use that argument that Ruth did not play against black players. That means that if they removed black players from the game today, some white guy would have to hit more home runs than any other whole team did combined. Then go out and pitch 20 win seasons which I now assume would be higher since he did not have to pitch against black players????
No it is not as simplistic as you are making it, but rule out an entire group of athlete as competition in my opinion makes one being called "GOAT" very questionable.

Also, baseball writers and true enthusiasts and purists are some of the more foolish people in sports. Babe Ruth played in 1908. It is quite simply a joke to think he is better base ball player when he was basically hitting what we would call MLB batting practice pitching at that time.

Why not call someone from the 1880s the greatest ever? It is a total joke. If he tried to play today he would not make triple A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back