PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Rams Frustrated with Stafford

McVay: Hey Staffman you sexy beast wanna redo your deal?
Stafford: Not unless you want to put more money innit lol.
McVay: Nvm I'll just trade Kupp instead. Ooooh is that BB on the line?
Stafford: Wait what stahp--
McVay: Sup Bill. Two 4ths? Ok deal!

The last mega contract rookie still playing. Don’t think anyone has made more in a full career than this guy. To each his own. Not gonna fault the guy for making as much as he can, but if they worked it out so he was helping the team out financially and still getting the same money I’d have a problem with it. It’s not written anywhere they want him to take a pay cut.

If they cut him this year and take the 20 million cap hit are they still on the hook for 50 million per in 24,25,26?

I don't blame Stafford.

I do think the Rams should have just played it out instead of extending him like that though.

They probably thought he was mid, and felt he looked bad last year, horrible offensive line withstanding.

Stafford had a bruised spinal cord that caused numbness in his legs. He absolutely deserves to get every cent he can going forward. His $31M salary in 2024 is fully guaranteed now, too.

I don't blame Stafford.

I do think the Rams should have just played it out instead of extending him like that though.

They probably thought he was mid, and felt he looked bad last year, horrible offensive line withstanding.
The extension was moronic.

Why are we not competitive now?!

We traded every high draft pick for the next five years, signed every high priced player on the market with from loaded deals that will destroy our cap for at least four more seasons, extended declining players to kick consequences down the road, and have more dead money than Elvis's royalties.

Okay then. Can't we just, like, restructure some stuff or something?

The Rams front office is not the brightest
A very peculiar and unorthodox financial model.

They are Bizarro world Patriots.

There is no rush to restructure. He is still reasonably cap friendly this year with a $20 million hit. It isn't until next year when his cap hit balloons to almost $50 million. Don't be surprised if they convert his salary to a signing bonus.

Goff was holding a stacked Rams team back and Stafford came in as a consistent franchise guy and was able to get that team over the hump. For a franchise that was irrelevant since the start of the Pats dynasty and the fact that Stafford's legacy as a player isn't going to change a whole hell of a lot over the next 1-3 years he probably has left, I don't see a single reason why he should do them any favors. Take the money while you have the leverage.
A very peculiar and unorthodox financial model.

They are Bizarro world Patriots.
Everyone knew the rams were just selling out for a ring. They got their ring and now they have to pay the piper and they are upset that they have elite talent like Donald and Kupp who are primed right now that might not be by the time they get out of this. It's the price you pay for going all in short term. But it could be worse. Plenty of teams tried to build responsibily and methodically and never got a ring for it.

Goff was holding a stacked Rams team back and Stafford came in as a consistent franchise guy and was able to get that team over the hump. For a franchise that was irrelevant since the start of the Pats dynasty and the fact that Stafford's legacy as a player isn't going to change a whole hell of a lot over the next 1-3 years he probably has left, I don't see a single reason why he should do them any favors. Take the money while you have the leverage.

Everyone knew the rams were just selling out for a ring. They got their ring and now they have to pay the piper and they are upset that they have elite talent like Donald and Kupp who are primed right now that might not be by the time they get out of this. It's the price you pay for going all in short term. But it could be worse. Plenty of teams tried to build responsibily and methodically and never got a ring for it.

No risk it, no biscuit.

Agree but the number of big money deals and trading of high picks for players is not traditional NFL team-building.

With that said they won a SB so it worked and they've also been a fairly consistent winner since McVay joined the team.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back