PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:QB Trade Idea (No not TB12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperGTS

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I was wondering and I'm probably a gazillion miles off here, but what if they traded Jimmy G PLUS another first, plus a second or so for one of the early picks to take a QB in this upcoming draft. Maybe a team that's feels they can't wait for a QB to develop could use Jimmy G right now instead of waiting for Darnold or Rosen to mature.

I just figured it is an interesting thought and it would solve the QB dilemma for the future and really solidify a continuation of the dysnasty.

Or Jimmy signs a cheap deal or they draft a QB in the 2nd again or whatever. Just figure if there was an elite level QB coming out maybe it's worth investigating.

The team with the high draft pick would have to weigh the idea of selecting a QB like Darnold, who is about 4 yrs younger and would be coming extremely cheap on a five year rookie deal vs. paying someone like Garoppolo a big money deal.

Trade Garopollo for a talented crapshoot college QB? I think the other way around. Maybe BB is hoping to trade JG for a talented lottery QB plus extra picks. That's probably Plan A. Plan B, more complicated, is somehow keeping JG without having to get rid of Brady until Brady is no longer better than JG or Brady no longer wants to play. Garopollo is the real deal (and Brady being the GOAT still in his prime is NOT a mutually exclusive concept.)

I don't see it. I do think the Pats should and will pick a QB in round 1 next year. There are 5 or so guys who actually deserve it and frankly there is no sure pick the way Luck and Manning were though many promising picks. I would rather just stand pat and take my shot between the guys who fall.

As far as JG goes he needs to be traded next year or Brady does. The idea we can franchise him (and that is what it would take) and spend 20M or so on Brady and not hurt our chances next year is just flat out wrong to me. That is a lot of money to tie up in the QB position and if they don't win a SB that year you will always wonder what if...

Best to trade one of the two. Assuming Brady doesn't show signs of slowing down keep him and trade JG. You can probably get a 2nd for him as the team he is traded to has the right to franchise him IIRC or we can do it before we trade him. Then they can sign him to a deal or franchise him again next year. Going year to year for a few years isn't a bad idea until you can get a long term deal worked out. Washington is showing though unconventional it isn't killing their cap situation or hurting how Cousins is playing.

In fact if I traded for JG I would use the franchise tag 2 years in a row before giving him a big pay day just so I am sure it is what I want to do.

I honestly don't think BB is overly concerned about the qb position. Find someone that is accurate; doesn't turn the ball over, and BB will make it work.

I honestly don't think BB is overly concerned about the qb position. Find someone that is accurate; doesn't turn the ball over, and BB will make it work.

I'm not so sure about that. Not just any QB could do what TB12 did in 49&50.

Great ideas so far. Just wanted to drive some discussion.

I feel bad for Brady's successor. He's going to constantly be reminded and compared to the Brady era his entire career. This is why I secretly hope BB coaches like 8 or so more years. Ride Brady for 3-5 more seasons then let the successor be coached under the greatest coach ever for a while. I really think thatd be a huge positive for the next Patriots QB.

I was wondering and I'm probably a gazillion miles off here, but what if they traded Jimmy G PLUS another first, plus a second or so for one of the early picks to take a QB in this upcoming draft. Maybe a team that's feels they can't wait for a QB to develop could use Jimmy G right now instead of waiting for Darnold or Rosen to mature.

I just figured it is an interesting thought and it would solve the QB dilemma for the future and really solidify a continuation of the dysnasty.

Or Jimmy signs a cheap deal or they draft a QB in the 2nd again or whatever. Just figure if there was an elite level QB coming out maybe it's worth investigating.

I don't see it. I do think the Pats should and will pick a QB in round 1 next year. There are 5 or so guys who actually deserve it and frankly there is no sure pick the way Luck and Manning were though many promising picks. I would rather just stand pat and take my shot between the guys who fall.

As far as JG goes he needs to be traded next year or Brady does. The idea we can franchise him (and that is what it would take) and spend 20M or so on Brady and not hurt our chances next year is just flat out wrong to me. That is a lot of money to tie up in the QB position and if they don't win a SB that year you will always wonder what if...

Best to trade one of the two. Assuming Brady doesn't show signs of slowing down keep him and trade JG. You can probably get a 2nd for him as the team he is traded to has the right to franchise him IIRC or we can do it before we trade him. Then they can sign him to a deal or franchise him again next year. Going year to year for a few years isn't a bad idea until you can get a long term deal worked out. Washington is showing though unconventional it isn't killing their cap situation or hurting how Cousins is playing.

In fact if I traded for JG I would use the franchise tag 2 years in a row before giving him a big pay day just so I am sure it is what I want to do.

I agree in part with both ... JG will fetch a #2 and #3 at least IMO why? If he leaves in FA they will get a #3, #2 is the probably a fair a fair return - see Wilkerson's situation. If i were the Pats organization i would use our top pick on a QB. Why? The draft is deep but we pick at the end so he will be basically a 2nd round choice with a 5th year option. If they do this, Butler is probably gonna leave, this 'new' pick we can use to replace him, and with our own pick we select an OLB to replace Van Noy.

Cap Space: 26m + AH's money
Picks: #1,#2,#4.a #4.b #4.c #6

QB (2) T.Brady, J.Garoppolo >>> Like i said i would trade him for a #2 and #3. We won't have a #3 because Rowe will play more than 50% os the snaps, Use our top pick to bring a guy to learn the system for 2 years. Is the the ideal? No but they can't pay 2 QB's without compromising depth.
RB (6) M.Gillislee, R.Burkhead, J.Develin, D.Lewis, J.White,B. Bolden >> Extend Lewis and Burk for 2 more years. Let Bolden Walk
WR (6) B.Cooks, C.Hogan, D.Amendola, M.Slater, P.Dorsett, M.Mitchell >>> I would love to keep both. Extend Amendola for more one year 2m and Slater for 2 more years. Edelman will be back and they wont carry 7 WR's. I hope Dorsett to have a good year. They will flip him for a late 4th Why? They have to pay Cooks and Hogan, i can't see they paying 3 and the other 2 are superior players.
TE (3) J.Hollister, D.Allen, R.Gronkowski
C (1) D.Andrews
G (2) S.Mason, J.Thuney >> They need interior depth they will add some via draft
T (5) N.Solder, C.Fleming, L.Waddle, C.Croston, M.Cannon >>> Let Fleming walk and Waddle is gonna be cut after week 6. Pay Solder!!! Use Garcia as our swing T and keep Croston for depth purposes on both G/T.
DE (3) T.Flowers, C.Marsh, D.Wise >> Extend Marsh and Rivers will be back, position is fine.
DT (5) A.Branch, M.Brown, L.Guy, A.Butler, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Hightower, E.Roberts, D.Harris >>>> They need to upgrade Roberts and that should be easy
OLB(4) K.VanNoy, H.Langi, M.Flowers, S.McClellin >> Let Van Noy go use our #2 to replace him, use our 4th from Dorsett's potential trade to replace McClellin!!
CB (5) M.Butler, J.Jones, S.Gilmore, J.Bademosi, E.Rowe >> Use our #2 to replace Butler and a 4th to upgrade J. Jones
SS (4) P.Chung, N.Ebner, J.Richards, B.King >> Need to upgrade Richards
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

SO:

Trade Jimmy: #2 +#3
Trade Dorsett: #4
Comp Picks: #4+#4
Total Picks: #1, #2.a, #2.b, #3, #4.a,#4.b,#4.c,#4.d,#6

QB (2) T.Brady, Pick #1
RB (5) M.Gillislee, R.Burkhead, J.Develin, D.Lewis, J.White
WR (6) B.Cooks, C.Hogan, D.Amendola, M.Slater, Edelman, M. Mitchell
TE (3) J.Hollister, D.Allen, R.Gronkowski
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, Pick 4.c
T (4) N.Solder,C.Croston, M.Cannon, T. Garcia

DE (4) T.Flowers, C.Marsh, D.Wise, Rivers
DT (5) A.Branch, M.Brown, L.Guy, A.Butler, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Hightower, D.Harris, Pick #4.a
OLB(3) M.Flowers, Pick #2.b, Pick #4.d
CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.Bademosi, Pick #2.a, Pick #4.b
SS (4) P.Chung, N.Ebner,B.King, Pick #3
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

I would rather have a Kirk Cousins type handling this team than go balls deep on the sexiest of all possible college QB.

The talents BB wants most in his quarterbacks don't tend do be grabbed up in the first round anyhow. He wants a smart coachable team leader not some arrogant hotshot who wants to do everything his own way.

You get a top college quarterback because you want him to take over and change the culture of your
offense that's the last thing we need right now.

I think our next starter will be drafted on day 2 or later just like Tom and Jimmy

I prefer to hang on to Jimmy and once TB wins his 6th Superbowl this year like to see him ride off into the sunset.
So there never has to be a nasty cut or trade scenario even in the discussion.

Whatever the mechanics are, using JG for a QB this year makes all the sense in the world. With the 5th year option of the incoming rookie, Brady would be 46 by the time he plays out his rookie contract. 47 when the incoming rookie would be in the first year of his second contract.

Whether it's trading up for a top pick or finding another JG in the second round, the timeline for Brady's successor would finally fit. I love JG, I really do, but unless something unexpected happens with Brady, the timeline has never fit for him.

I'm not so sure about that. Not just any QB could do what TB12 did in 49&50.

Great ideas so far. Just wanted to drive some discussion.
It isn't no just any QB it is NO OTHER QB.
But BB is smart enough to know there is only one Brady and he has to find a different way to win in 5 or so years.

I prefer to hang on to Jimmy and once TB wins his 6th Superbowl this year like to see him ride off into the sunset.
So there never has to be a nasty cut or trade scenario even in the discussion.
Why in the world would you want Brady to retire prematurely?

Why in the world would you want Brady to retire prematurely?
Everyone doing this is doing it out to f fear of the "lose Jimmy because we took Brady for granted, then lose Brady to random football God's BS" scenario

the opportunity to get a kings ransom for JG ended at the draft.

the best we can hope for is a first rounder, but more then likely we are going to see something similar to the cassell trade where we get a low second rounder and a player or two.

Everyone doing this is doing it out to f fear of the "lose Jimmy because we took Brady for granted, then lose Brady to random football God's BS" scenario
There is one GOAT. There are plenty of Jimmys

Brady is playing until his mid 40's and at a high level. Draft and develop another qb with a 3rd rounder and bring in a veteran next year as insurance.

Jimmy is gone next year. He'll either walk in free agency or they franchise and trade.

It seems like having year-to-year stability at QB2 is a recent phenomenon. The Pats have had plenty of years where you are picking up an unknown Guiterez or Hoyer off the street or drafting a Mallett and praying nothing bad happens.

Next year after Jimmy is gone they can draft someone in the second or third round, add an UDFA, and a vet and have a legit back up QB competition during camp.

At the very least, it will give us old ladies something to chat about on the discussion board.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back