PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2021 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady‘s recovery from knee surgery continues to look like a successful one.

Head coach Bruce Arians said last week that he thought Brady would be doing a lot of coaching during the team’s mandatory minicamp this week, but it doesn’t sound like Brady limited himself on Tuesday. Arians said, via Joey Knight of the Tampa Bay Times, that Brady “went full speed” in the team’s workout.

Tom Brady "went full speed" at Bucs minicamp - ProFootballTalk

“Especially having Tom Brady back there, that’s always in your mind — just making sure nobody comes close to him or gets near him,” Wirfs said during his Tuesday press conference. “But he told us — I remember he told us last year — he said, ‘Don’t get beat fast and don’t get beat inside and we’ll be alright.’ So I kind of held onto that pretty tightly last year. But no, it’s really cool having him back there.”

Wirfs also noted that Brady “definitely brings the best out of us.”

“You want to keep him safe,” Wirfs said. “You don’t want anything to happen to him.”

Tristan Wirfs: Making sure no one gets close to Tom Brady is always in your mind - ProFootballTalk

Video: Bruce Arians pleased with the overall retention level of his Bucs players, noting that some are making up for reps they might have missed.

Jordan Whitehead (@jwhite_333) not yet cleared to practice, was getting some work in today on an adjacent practice field with Roger Kingdom. Whitehead suffered a partially torn labrum in his shoulder in the NFC Championship and underwent surgery after playing in the Super Bowl.

Bruce Arians said Antonio Brown is about two weeks away from returning to practice. They’re in no rush with his knee. He said OJ Howard is very close too.

Tom Brady IS practicing today at Bucs minicamp. There was some concern about how much he’d do when I asked Bruce Arians last week. But he’s taken a lot of reps during the drill portion. We’ll see as practice continues.

The only thing Bruce Arians held Tom Brady out of? Blitz periods. He said the doctors gave Brady the green light. He looked good.

Arians told Sal Paolantonio on ESPN that he wants to be sure Brady is fresh and healthy when the regular season starts, and so he’s planning to have Brady do more in the shotgun and less under center, on the theory that dropping back from under center can put unnecessary strain on Brady’s knee.

“We talked to him a little bit about maybe practicing more in the shotgun, just to save those three or four steps,” Arians said. “They add up, especially through training camp. Maybe put a little pistol in, some things where you don’t have to do as man steps, which I’ve done with injured guys in the past. Just watch him every single day, have great lines of communication. That’s why we talk every week throughout the whole offseason.”

Bruce Arians plans more shotgun work for Tom Brady as he recovers from knee surgery - ProFootballTalk

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back