PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d just like to ask in advance that people in this thread separate causation from coincidence. I’ll be rooting for TB12 to win MVP at age 44. This has zero to do with winning a championship and it isn’t an either/or. That’s just superstition...but every time I say I like his chances, I find at least three people make the same nonsensical comment: “I’d rather see him win a Super Bowl” like it’s one or the other.

All of these “curses” like the MVP/Super Bowl, Madden, etc. are legit curses right up until the moment they‘re not.
2017 should have broken the "curse" Not only did he win MVP, he was also on the cover of Madden. If not for Belichick and the defense then he wins the Super Bowl. 2017 was arguably his best playoff run.

1,132 Yards (377 YPG)
8 Touchdowns
0 Interceptions
8.1 Y/A
108.6 Passer Rating

All of that with no Edelman, Gronk missing a lot of the AFC Championship Game, and Cooks missing most of the Super Bowl.

I’d just like to ask in advance that people in this thread separate causation from coincidence. I’ll be rooting for TB12 to win MVP at age 44. This has zero to do with winning a championship and it isn’t an either/or. That’s just superstition...but every time I say I like his chances, I find at least three people make the same nonsensical comment: “I’d rather see him win a Super Bowl” like it’s one or the other.

All of these “curses” like the MVP/Super Bowl, Madden, etc. are legit curses right up until the moment they‘re not.
highlander-there-can-be-only-one-gif-1.gif

why-not-both-gif-6.gif

tenor.gif

DSC_0143_grande.JPG

I have been thinking about his and I think it is fair to wonder how much Brady could have won with a different GM. I realize some of what Tampa has done is for short term success although their cap is in great shape because they have drafted so well since 2015 but it is hard not to come to the conclusion that Bill's defense first approach and building a mid-tier team with very little elite talent while giving Brady the leftovers on offense was not a good approach given what Brady can do with any semblance of talent. The guy is a force multiplier like no other team sport has ever witnessed. That 10 year drought while Brady was in his prime is an inexcusable and rolls right up to Bill.

Inopportune injuries had a lot to do with that ten year drought. I don't put that on BB.

TB figures to be stronger this season than last. That said KC improved tremendously on their OL.

Brady-Mahomes III in SB 56? #8
This is the thing though, everyone has been so fixated on the Chiefs being down their tackles in that SB, that no one mentioned how their defense was shredded at will by the Bucs. Brady did whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. Their secondary held all over the place which was pretty much their theme all season - grab and hold. Tampa took the entire 4th quarter off and still put up 31 which could have been 40+ easily.

I think Mahomes is a pretty special QB but it really does not matter if the other side of the ball is a sieve. In both of his playoff losses to Brady his defense was shredded. But the Chiefs continue to pour money into their O which I get on one hand but with Mahomes' talent, I would have beefed up the D as much as possible. Although, to be honest not sure it will matter vs the Bucs offense this season. No one is stopping them.

10 years of injuries?
It was a funky stretch.

Bruschi's stroke in 2005, paired with Johnson's concussion related retirement
Team sick for AFCCG in 2006
Brady injured before 2007 SB, Neal injured early in the game
Brady lost to injury in 2008
Brady rehabbing from injury in 2009, Welker pops ACL at end of regular season
Brady injured during 2011 SB
Receiving corps injured thoughout 2013

It was a funky stretch.

We were definitely unlucky between 2006-2013. Especially in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011. We could and should have won at least 2 of those years. But we didn't.

It was a funky stretch.

Sure. But the injuries torpedo a season when the elite talent is thin to begin with. For Welker to be our main receiver as many years as he was with no real outside threat other then the year he played with Moss is inexcusable. The margin for error was so razor thin especially on offense because most years our entire offense was based on only 2 real threats. If one got injured, we were pretty much screwed.

Sure. But the injuries torpedo a season when the elite talent is thin to begin with. For Welker to be our main receiver as many years as he was with no real outside threat other then the year he played with Moss is inexcusable. The margin for error was so razor thin especially on offense because most years our entire offense was based on only 2 real threats. If one got injured, we were pretty much screwed.
Yes, injuries can be a problem with teams that have insufficient depth. But injuries also torpedo seasons when it's the elite, cornerstone players going down, especially late in the year.

Brady twice for the SB itself (2007, 2011)
Welker once in the last game of the regular season (2009)
Gronk in December (2013)

Yes, injuries can be a problem with teams that have insufficient depth. But injuries also torpedo seasons when it's the elite, cornerstone players going down, especially late in the year.

Gronk in December (2013)
It's a lesson I'm sure Brady has learned and I wonder how much enfluence he has on TB bringing back starting level depths such as Brown and Brate, and that new running back.

I think TB will be drafting for depth players who can start if needed on DL, OL, and corner/safety.

If the injury bug hits, they will be in a great position to keep on humming along without missing a beat.

Gronk in December (2013)
Are you really counting Brady in 2011? Gronk sure, he was hobbled in that SB but Brady was not as injured as he was in the 2007 SB with his ankle.

But to the larger point, we were an offense completely dependent on our slot receiver and TE. A TE who was injury prone given his style of play and slot receivers who go over the middle. We literally had nothing behind of them of consequence which crippled our teams from winning it all.

Are you really counting Brady in 2011? Gronk sure, he was hobbled in that SB but Brady was not as injured as he was in the 2007 SB with his ankle.

But to the larger point, we were an offense completely dependent on our slot receiver and TE. A TE who was injury prone given his style of play and slot receivers who go over the middle. We literally had nothing behind of them of consequence which crippled our teams from winning it all.
In 2011, Brady was on fire, having thrown a record number of completions in a row. There was a play where a defender got through, drove Brady to the ground, and clearly hurt Brady. Brady wasn't quite the same for the rest of the game.

Tom Brady's Shoulder Injury Flared Up In The Super Bowl, According To Report

bradyhurt_medium.gif

Tom Brady Checked By Trainers After Justin Tuck Sack

And I hadn't even mentioned Gronk, but that was huge as well.

I can't believe the Bucs returned back everyone and they still have all of their draft picks and a great drafting GM plus this season they will have chemistry, which will greatly improve the team. The Bucs are going to be a historic team this season. It would be hilarious if the historically losing and known for losing Bucs do something crazy like repeat and then 3 peat and have a perfect season also. Brady might be able to finally retire after that lol

The Patriots (and Bucs) only lost two postseason games with a semi-healthy Gronkowsk after his rookie year: 2015 and 2017. And Gronk had superhuman games both times. He was by far the biggest factor when it comes to injuries. I think there's very little question they win SB42 if he isn't limping around on a high ankle sprain. His absence made a huge deal in 2012 and 2013 as well.

Talib was also a major factor, as his absence created bad domino effect on defense that had little depth, especially in the secondary. He got injured in the first half of both AFC Championship games in 2012 and 2013. The Patriot defense was holding their own in both those games and then collapsed without him.

Talib was also a major factor, as his absence created bad domino effect on defense that had little depth, especially in the secondary. He got injured in the first half of both AFC Championship games in 2012 and 2013. The Patriot defense was holding their own in both those games and then collapsed without him.
I didn't add Talib because I thought there was more of an asterisk to what impact he might have made. He's definitely another big injury example, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back