PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This “mortgaging the future” GM’s spew is the reason why they don’t win a Lombardi and why most of them eventually end up getting fired. And I’m only referring to the ones that have good teams and/or an elite QB.

For example, you have a Bucs team that’s been to the playoffs TWICE since 2002 before Brady showed up. They have the GOAT QB who just won the easiest Super Bowl of his career. They should not think twice about the “future” because they they weren’t winning anything before and odds are they probably won’t win much after Brady leaves. Maximize what you have now! The Bucs are doing the right thing retaining everyone they can.

Green Bay should take notice and stop penny pinching. Rodgers will never win there and his 11 year drought continues.
Rodgers is a loser by nature. His teams have been plenty talented enough the last 2 years and he has not closed the deal. That pass Brady hit to Miller to put the dagger in, is a play you almost never see Rodgers make to win a big game. For Brady, it's routine. Watch the NFL footage of that game and the sideline of the Packers, in particular Rodgers after Brady hits that pass. They all have their heads down and are defeated. Not a peep from Rodgers. Some STs player is trying to egg them on after halftime when their heads are still hanging low including Rodgers who he is specifically talking to. The guy is simply not a leader at all. Focused too much on his stats. I am pretty sure he was practicing his post-game speech in his head at half-time.

I agree but it does look like they're mortgaging a bit of their future looking at some of the contracts with voidable years but at the same time they are in a win now mode after they've just won so who can fault them for that? How long they could prolong the win now mode is beyond me.

They are in year 2 of going all in. There are alot of bombs set to go off in two seasons:

Brady 45+
Godwin due 20+ million a year
Evans due a similar extension
an average LT making elite money
the interior OL are FAs
Gronk’s retirement

JPP decline
Suh decline
Vea FA
David FA
nearly the entire secondary FA

Similar spot to the early 2010s ravens, mid 2010s seahawks & late 2010s eagles & pats. These team’s usually don’t draft well in the late 20s/30s (Chiefs already whiffing with Frank Clark trade & an average RB) & don’t replace these players adequately.

This “mortgaging the future” GM’s spew is the reason why they don’t win a Lombardi and why most of them eventually end up getting fired. And I’m only referring to the ones that have good teams and/or an elite QB.

For example, you have a Bucs team that’s been to the playoffs TWICE since 2002 before Brady showed up. They have the GOAT QB who just won the easiest Super Bowl of his career. They should not think twice about the “future” because they they weren’t winning anything before and odds are they probably won’t win much after Brady leaves. Maximize what you have now! The Bucs are doing the right thing retaining everyone they can.

Green Bay should take notice and stop penny pinching. Rodgers will never win there and his 11 year drought continues.

Despite that, I’m with this philosophy for the Bucs due to Tom’s age. The Saints did the same thing with Brees anyway. Not sold it’s smart business with a QB in their prime as the Seahawks have been stuck with an elite QB & an average team for awhile.

Last edited:
They are in year 2 of going all in. There are alot of bombs set to go off in two seasons:

Brady 45+
Godwin due 20+ million a year
Evans due a similar extension
an average LT making elite money
the interior OL are FAs
Gronk’s retirement

JPP decline
Suh decline
Vea FA
David FA
nearly the entire secondary FA

Similar spot to the early 2010s ravens, mid 2010s seahawks & late 2010s eagles & pats. These team’s usually don’t draft well in the late 20s/30s (Chiefs already whiffing with Frank Clark trade & an average RB) & don’t replace these players adequately.

Despite that, I’m with this philosophy for the Bucs due to Tom’s age. The Saints did the same thing with Brees anyway. Not sold it’s smart business with a QB in their prime as the Seahawks have been stuck with an elite QB & an average team for awhile.

That's all true, but I guess they do not care about that, especially not if they can get another SB with Brady.

Then, they'll bottom out and rebuild.

I mean, just look at the Pats. Yes, last year sucked ass. Brady saved our bacons in 2019. But, before that, we went to 4 Super Bowls in 5 years, winning 3. I'll take a "meh" year and a **** year (that was still not really bottoming up, we managed to be 7-9 playing a tough schedule) for that kind of success. Heck, I'd take it only for ONE SB! We truly have been spoiled for 20 years.

Yeah it had been 13 years since the last time the Bucs made it to the playoffs and 18 years since they last won a playoff game (their first SB title). I doubt they mind selling their souls for this run with Brady, it’s already been worth it for them.

Yeah.
Fournette was on TV here in Tamper area last night saying he took a bit less to return to Bucs because of the team atmosphere and a good shot at another ring. Said that last year playing for Tamper matured him, gave him a better perspective and made him a better person so another year of that would be a good thing for him.
I remember him post SB effusing over Brady. Get a room bro!
I remember Fournette being a problem child when he first came into the league and it sounds like he's learned a lot and has matured.

Brady has that effect on everyone he comes into contact with. Too bad Bill and Bob didn't appreciate that before they chased him out of town.

I remember Fournette being a problem child when he first came into the league and it sounds like he's learned a lot and has matured.

Brady has that effect on everyone he comes into contact with. Too bad Bill and Bob didn't appreciate that before they chased him out of town.
No kidding. Talk about a force multiplier.

And hitting on a QB in the top of the 1st round is a still a crap shot. Winston and Mariota, then Goff and Wentz were taken 1st and 2nd in back to back years and they are still developing and struggling to be a QB1. Even Lamar still can't throw very well and will be QB2 when he slows down a bit in his late 20s.

Giving up all those picks for a QB that might develop into a JG level talent at best will bite them. Why not tell JG to stay in the pocket. Brady has done it for 21 years and he hasn't done too bad. Oh wait, they thought Brady was washed up and plays like a dinosaur.

Anyways SF loss will be NE gain. JG will be coming back either this season or next.
Surprisingly Shanahan uses a ton of bootleg in SF and ATL. Jimmy isn't a great fit for SF because he's injury prone. He would be better in a quick passing attack

Yeah, that if they can’t keep the team good Brady is gonna go to San Fran right when it turns out their new QB is a bust and win a Super Bowl in his home town to cap off his career.

I’m only half joking.
It's possible that Brady holds a grudge against the 49ers for not taking him in 2000.

It's possible that Brady holds a grudge against the 49ers for not taking him in 2000.

So does Rodgers interesting enough.

But anyway it’s pretty safely known that Brady wanted to go there in 2020 so obviously he was able to get past the draft. But I can see him taking this second slight, in favor of Jimmy G of all people, as a big deal.

So does Rodgers interesting enough.

But anyway it’s pretty safely known that Brady wanted to go there in 2020 so obviously he was able to get past the draft. But I can see him taking this second slight, in favor of Jimmy G of all people, as a big deal.
He ended up in the perfect place for him.

I wouldn’t trust AB to not do something ridiculously dumb the moment he’s no longer living in Brady’s house.

I think at this point, AB needs the bucs more than they need him. They will be fine if he does not resign, but how many teams are going to take a chance on him, thats the question.
Certainly with the salary cap crunch not to many teams going to risk it. It's a shame AB is still top tier talent. Both he and Bell screwed themselves trying to **** over the Steelers. Such petty krap and both players paid a steep price for their antics. Bell was considered a HoF dual threat RB and receiver before he sat out against the Steelers. He cost himself millions of dollars and now his stock is at an all time low.

Certainly with the salary cap crunch not to many teams going to risk it. It's a shame AB is still top tier talent. Both he and Bell screwed themselves trying to **** over the Steelers. Such petty krap and both players paid a steep price for their antics. Bell was considered a HoF dual threat RB and receiver before he sat out against the Steelers. He cost himself millions of dollars and now his stock is at an all time low.

I do feel sympathy for Bell because while he was a **** about things he ultimately bet on himself and failed.

ABs problems are entirely his doing.

Rodgers is a loser by nature.
Yes he's been a choke artist since 2014. He's been wanting a home Championship game for a long time and he finally got one yet choked. However, see below.
His teams have been plenty talented enough the last 2 years and he has not closed the deal.
As much as he's choked in the playoffs, his former GM (Ted Thompson) was blowing draft after draft for years and wouldn't sign any FA's to help. Then the next GM and Coach are doing the same thing (trading up for a QB in the 1st round LOL). As much as I've ragged on Bill for not getting enough help for Tom over the years, Aaron has had it way worse. Rodgers has been carrying that team for years and has disguised all their weaknesses to the media/fans in thinking they were any good until they play a real team. They've overachieved in the last two years and were severely overmatched against the 49ers in 2019 and the Bucs in 2020. In fact, 3 out of 4 times they faced those teams they got blown out.
That pass Brady hit to Miller to put the dagger in, is a play you almost never see Rodgers make to win a big game.
And that came off of a Rodgers INT. I thought that was the nail in the coffin but Rodgers did make it a game and didn't cave like I though he would.
Watch the NFL footage of that game and the sideline of the Packers, in particular Rodgers after Brady hits that pass. They all have their heads down and are defeated.
He surprisingly made a come back though after that horrific 1st half.
Not sold it’s smart business with a QB in their prime as the Seahawks have been stuck with an elite QB & an average team for awhile.
They've found some nice players on offense, but can't draft for squat on D. However, Wilson is becoming a choke artist. In fact, his INT in the 2014 Super Bowl isn't looking like a fluke anymore. Them losing at home to the Rams was unacceptable.
I wouldn’t trust AB to not do something ridiculously dumb the moment he’s no longer living in Brady’s house.
He still lives with Tom and Giselle?

And hitting on a QB in the top of the 1st round is a still a crap shot. Winston and Mariota, then Goff and Wentz were taken 1st and 2nd in back to back years and they are still developing and struggling to be a QB1. Even Lamar still can't throw very well and will be QB2 when he slows down a bit in his late 20s.

Giving up all those picks for a QB that might develop into a JG level talent at best will bite them. Why not tell JG to stay in the pocket. Brady has done it for 21 years and he hasn't done too bad. Oh wait, they thought Brady was washed up and plays like a dinosaur.

Anyways SF loss will be NE gain. JG will be coming back either this season or next.
Yep, Lynch and Shanahan are rolling the dice big time and their jobs will be determine by the QB's success. Passing on a 6 time Champ because "the future" is beyond laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back