PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same TB12, only older. "Weaponz" was supposed to change things. Football was supposed fun again, no more of that heavy discipline stuff slowing us down. End result is TB12 missing a bunch of throws, his new weaponz running poor routes, TB12 fixating on favorites and icing out others who are open and of course the general lack of discipline all Arians teams have.

How does time fix all this, especially with Arians throwing TB12 and others under the bus and Gronk having lost his breakaway speed?

It's not a victory lap. I was hoping to see TB12 enjoying himself playing good football and adapting to new circumstances, but he looks like the same grumpy and under-productive guy we saw last year.

Yikes. Seeing the film of some of those plays makes it even worse than watching real time yesterday. I don't know what he was thinking on the out route pick six and forcing to Gronk with two guys open is crazy. Physically he seems fine but his decision making on a few plays yesterday was downright awful which is out of the norm.

We have a Jets thread all year round that stays on page one. This isn't a Jets board. They're not even a relevant team at least Tampa has two of the greatest Patriots to ever play on their roster.

I don't have any problem with the thread being here, I get that there is a ton of interest in past and present Pats fans in TB. But you shouldn't be surprised that fans with contrary views post here given that it's in our faces every day.

I don't have any problem with the thread being here, I get that there is a ton of interest in past and present Pats fans in TB. But you shouldn't be surprised that fans with contrary views post here given that it's in our faces every day.
If they don't like it then don't click on it.

I watched the TB game off and on, thought the teams looked undisciplined, lots of mental errors. Looked like a pre season game for both teams. Next week, I'll probably watch it closer, as it will be on the local channels for me.

Yikes. Seeing the film of some of those plays makes it even worse than watching real time yesterday. I don't know what he was thinking on the out route pick six and forcing to Gronk with two guys open is crazy. Physically he seems fine but his decision making on a few plays yesterday was downright awful which is out of the norm.
I think we saw signs of him last year fixating on favored receivers. Gronk is a natural for that treatment. Luckily Scott Miller is one guy who he seems to be in sync with and the results look promising. Evans seems to be one who may end up in the dog house.

If they don't like it then don't click on it.

Expect lots of click through when the Bucs f*ck up. It's right there and irresistible, and makes us feel better after absorbing venom all offseason from the supposed Pats fans who are rooting for the Bucs to do better than the Pats.

Expect lots of click through when the Bucs f*ck up. It's right there and irresistible, and makes us feel better after absorbing venom all offseason from the supposed Pats fans who are rooting for the Bucs to do better than the Pats.
If it came down to the Bucs vs Pats I am all in on the Pats 10 times out of 10 but the venom directed Brady's way on this site by a much larger segment than I ever would have imagined is ridiculous. I just don't understand how after all he gave this franchise after two decades so many of these "fans" just want to bash him and refuse to give him any credit for 6 rings and 9 appearances. I am on record of having said I think we have one of those he dumber fanbases long before Brady left. Now I feel like I underestimated how dumb a decent size segment of the fanbase truly is (quote a few of them have posted quote a bit in this thread).

I think we saw signs of him last year fixating on favored receivers. Gronk is a natural for that treatment. Luckily Scott Miller is one guy who he seems to be in sync with and the results look promising. Evans seems to be one who may end up in the dog house.
I wonder if Brady still thinks Gronk is what he was. In the 2015 AFCCG Brady locked on Gronk down the stretch and Gronk had one of the most dominant performances I have ever seen a player have. It was like watching Michael Jordan in prime. Everyone knew where the ball was going but they just couldn't stop him. Maybe he is expecting Gronk to be Michael Jordan when at this point in Gronk's career he is Steve Kerr.

I guess that’s it, though. It’s been proven that Brady is nothing without Belichick.

The Pats could go 16-0 while the Bucs go 0-16 and nothing about Brady or Belichick's relationship would be proven one way or the other. The idea that going to a stacked offense and being successful would somehow show that Brady doesn't need Belichick is as irrelevant as the Pats making the postseason without Brady.

Two people, doing two completely different jobs, on two separate teams playing mostly different teams. Instead of enjoying two games a week we get a weird **** measuring contest between two equally dumb sides of an argument nobody asked for.

One thing I'll definitely say is I may have underrated how bad Arians is. I never thought he was anything special but I viewed him as decently competent. He may still be. But the lack of discipline and willingness to throw players under the bus to the media is eye opening as someone who didn't really pay attention to him. I don't know how that will fly with Tom. For anything snarky Bill may have said I don't recall him talking about Tom ****ing something up on the field specifically. It was usually just a criticism of everyone, coaches and players.

Quite frankly I think Tom knew what he was signing up for in terms of Arians' blowhard nature and I don't think it will bother him that much. What will drive him absolutely insane is the other theme of Bruce Arians teams keeps showing up.. lack of discipline and focus.

The fourth down that Vita Vea screwed up and jumped is the perfect microcosm of Arians' coached teams.

Way too early to tell because TB12 is getting used to a new system and new receivers...but I saw a lot of misses yesterday that looked like his misses last year.

Only difference? The HC didn't wait until the Team Meeting to jump on him but did it in the media.

Mmmm....wonder how long Football is going to be "fun again" for the GOAT?

Quite frankly I think Tom knew what he was signing up for in terms of Arians' blowhard nature and I don't think it will bother him that much.
I sincerely doubt this. I think Brady behind the scenes will be furious to be called out especially if they keep playing in such a sloppy manner in every aspect of the game. The guy was in the New England culture for almost twenty years.

I sincerely doubt this. I think Brady behind the scenes will be furious to be called out especially if they keep playing in such a sloppy manner in every aspect of the game. The guy was in the New England culture for almost twenty years.

That's pretty much what I tried to say. The sloppyness and lack of discipline is what will eventually get under Brady's skin. The blowhard comments from Arians by themselves ? Those he can handle and deflect.

My takes from yesterday:
  • Arians' offense is not suited for Brady's skill set and definitely not that o-line's. Brady can throw vertical, but it isn't his game.
  • That o-line is going to get Brady killed. They are worse than the Pats' last year based on the one game sample.
  • Gronk looks done. He has no strength or speed. He couldn't get off the blocks on the line and he couldn't shed coverage. He may not even be a good decoy this year if he plays like this going forward.
  • I felt Brady was on the decline last year. So far nothing has convinced me otherwise. A QB like Brady isn't going to decline like a Marino or Peyton Manning, his decline will be far more subtile. He doesn't rely on his arm strength as much. I think his reads are a tick slower at times and his ability to step up is not as good.

Maybe it is me but It seems that he threw a lot more INTs on this kind of out the past few years more than before. The pick 6 against Miami last year was the same kind of throw, same in the SB against the Rams in 2018.

maybe it is not arm strength, but I think he lost accuracy on this kind of throw

I bet you he connects on it a lot as the season goes on.

Last year was a total waste w/ everything going wrong from hurt wrs, lack of wrs, his elbow injury, and the makeshift OL. If you can't push the DBs back, they will pick those passes.

My point is exactly that. Brady is old that’s a fact. i think Brady is still good but his skill has diminished and now he needs to have talent around him more than before. There is no shame to recognize that. But people here expect the same from him at 43 than at 30. That’s unrealistic.

The positive for TB is that it was still only a one score game in the 4th quarter playing a very sloppy game against a well oil saints team that had almost everything going for them.

I think the argument of the people who expect a huge improvement from him s the season goes on is that he looked bad last year--but that was after a mere 6 months when he looked excellent in the playoffs.

So I always thought--how much could he really lose in 6 months?

For this reason, I think it was the circumstances last year that made him look bad. He's not going to look like he did against the Eagles 3 years ago, but I expect he'll look much better than he did last year.

My takes from yesterday:
  • Arians' offense is not suited for Brady's skill set and definitely not that o-line's. Brady can throw vertical, but it isn't his game.
  • That o-line is going to get Brady killed. They are worse than the Pats' last year based on the one game sample.
  • Gronk looks done. He has no strength or speed. He couldn't get off the blocks on the line and he couldn't shed coverage. He may not even be a good decoy this year if he plays like this going forward.
  • I felt Brady was on the decline last year. So far nothing has convinced me otherwise. A QB like Brady isn't going to decline like a Marino or Peyton Manning, his decline will be far more subtile. He doesn't rely on his arm strength as much. I think his reads are a tick slower at times and his ability to step up is not as good.
That O-line isn't bad. Just the most important part: left tackle. Donovan Smith is bad and played even worse last night.

Seriously this guy is such a ****ing clown. I get that the Bucs had nice weapons with Godwin and Evans but having to suffer through Arians' ****tery for 2 full seasons will leave some marks.

I just saw that comment by Arians on another site. My head almost exploded.
So yesterday, he blames Brady for overthrowing Evans when a 10 yr old could see that Evans pulled up on his route. His "reason" it was the right thing for Evans to do with that coverage.
So now today, hes seen the film and reverses course. Said Evans shoulda kept going. Duh?!
The worst thing was him throwing Brady under the bus yesterday. Shoulda kept his fat mouth shut, even if he was right. which of course, he wasn't. Ive never ever heard either Belichick or Brady ever throw another player, coach or teammate under the bus.
So now Arians can join Peyton as scumbags.
Brady has got to be thinking " what the **** have I done?" Grass aint lookin greener now.

Why even bother playing the rest of the games then. I guess the SB was played yesterday. :rolleyes:

Yeah well you aren't objective. He has his good moments and his bad moments as any older QB will. Montana took the Chiefs to the playoffs, but nobody would say that was vintage Montana. Thus, the same will happen in Tampa Bay with the additional problems of a coach who airs his stuff out publicly and teammates that have played for years in a carefree city and coaches.

180 complete degree shift from what he was used to and lived in. This won't be easy due to age, diminishing skills, teammates who are not used to accountability etc.

Maybe Mike Evans cannot run the proper routes. I distinctly remember a play against the Jets about 4 years ago. Jets were playing a zone, and Edelman ran down the field 25 yards or so and stopped, turned around and the ball as there. Brady knew exactly where he would be and the ball was out when he was halfway there.

He will not have that in Tampa. How many WRs have come through that failed here because they couldn't live up to his standards. Moss is an all timer so he was an outlier. Mike Evans is not Randy Moss. Names don't mean anything when the game starts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back