PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they signed Mahomes and he became the starter, the majority of their cap is tied up in outside guys on both sides of the ball. I am not saying they have no depth at all. I am talking about the approach.
You said that they were building from outside in. That hasn't been the case. They've been building largely from the lines out. Also, their depth hasn't really been the problem. Their starters either sucking or being frequent and/or long term injury magnets have been a big part of the problem. Eric Berry's just one obvious example of that. Not keeping the right veterans has been a part of the problem. Rodney Hudson's one obvious example of that.

But a lot of posters here need to step back and rethink all their previously held beliefs about the Patriots and the Patriots successes/failures/approaches. And that's because Brady being gone has already shown a bunch of them to be highly questionable without the G.O.A.T..

You said that they were building from outside in. That hasn't been the case. They've been building largely from the lines out. Also, their depth hasn't really been the problem. Their starters either sucking or being frequent and/or long term injury magnets have been a big part of the problem. Eric Berry's just one obvious example of that. Not keeping the right veterans has been a part of the problem. Rodney Hudson's one obvious example of that.

But a lot of posters here need to step back and rethink all their previously held beliefs about the Patriots and the Patriots successes/failures/approaches. And that's because Brady being gone has already shown a bunch of them to be highly questionable without the G.O.A.T..

Your last point is very true.

Ah, I see where you are coming from now with your last sentence. I was not insinuating that the Pats approach is the right or best approach. It has its warts to even when Brady was our QB. I was just pointing out the differences with what KC is doing. It takes an awful lot to go right to win the SB even though the Pats made it seem routine at times.

I doubt BB would have let his tackles be exposed like the Chiefs ones were against a defense like that. Adjustments would have been made in game.

I doubt BB would have let his tackles be exposed like the Chiefs ones were against a defense like that. Adjustments would have been made in game.
How does the K.C. offense work?

Mahomes being so good that more often than not he can pull magic out of his ass.
That's not really it, though. Mahomes is obviously a big key, but the offense was a good one even under Smith.

1619310259451.png

The top 3 years are Mahomes, but Smith had a top 10 scoring offense 3 times in 5 years.

Andy Reid is one hell of an offensive coach, and he likes to be sure that he has the game plan, and personnel, to stress an opposing defense on all 4 levels.

That's not really it, though. Mahomes is obviously a big key, but the offense was a good one even under Smith.

View attachment 32336

The top 3 years are Mahomes, but Smith had a top 10 scoring offense 3 times in 5 years.

Andy Reid is one hell of an offensive coach, and he likes to be sure that he has the game plan, and personnel, to stress an opposing defense on all 4 levels.

This is why I believe that if the Bears drafted Mahomes in 2017 at 2 that he’d have been ruined.

He made everybody else look stupid, but he was simply practical, methodical - and he didn't waste time. If a player showed up who might have promise, he picked up the phone. Considering the kid Cowens from Florida State, there was concern among scouts that he might be too short (6'9") to play center. And I don't know that Red ever saw him play in college. No problem. Bill Russell to the rescue: "I met him. I shook his hand, and looked him in the eyes. You'll be all right with him. This kid has that determination," was all he needed to say to Red. We drafted him and the rest is history.

The media declared with absolute certainty that there was no way to get Danny Ainge out of his Blue Jays contract. So the rest of the league was pissed (and I was thrilled) when Red drafted him anyway. You know the rest.

DJ was supposed to be a malcontent locker room cancer in Phoenix. And Rick Robey was supposed to be that great big man that Parish and McHale turned out to be.

The list goes on...Don Nelson was supposed to be washed up.

Now: Red was human. He screwed some things up. Like Belichick, he wasn't perfect!! Paul Silas. Paul Westphal.

Then again, maybe he just had a problem with guys named 'Paul'... :)

Joe Barry Carroll is the Drew Bledsoe the Celtics would have had if Kraft had bought the team from John Y. Brown and Red went through with defecting to the Knicks.

Len Bias was Red's magnum opus. I couldn't understand trading Gerald Henderson - at first.
I remember hearing about Bias' death in traffic when a police detail yelled it to me as I went by him early in the morning. I was in shock.

I can only remember two players who cried when they were traded by the Celts, Gerald Henderson and Danny Ainge. That kind of emotion showed how much they wanted to be Celtics.

If I had to pick a favorite Red move it would be drafting Bird as a junior.

I remember hearing about Bias' death in traffic when a police detail yelled it to me as I went by him early in the morning. I was in shock.

I can only remember two players who cried when they were traded by the Celts, Gerald Henderson and Danny Ainge. That kind of emotion showed how much they wanted to be Celtics.

If I had to pick a favorite Red move it would be drafting Bird as a junior.
Diametrically opposite trades: Henderson was genius; Ainge was hideous, sick and wrong. Just like flying elvis.

But it did give Danny the chance to play in two more finals. Wasn't happening here under Thanksdad Gaston.

NFLPA says "It's too dangerous to practice in person, because coronavirus".

vs.

Pretty cool.

The PA is just leveraging Covid for its political purposes. Brady would not have been at OTAs anyways given his knee. Arians said they have been dialed in over Zoom getting the team ready. Once Brady's knee is a go, they will be doing the practices.

Just watching this video reminded me of the reasons why Gronk retired. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of those hits would be flagged in today's league.

Glad he didn't get beat up coming out of retirement. It helps that TB has more than 1 star receiver for the defense to focus on. And of course the rule changes.

Last edited:

Just watching this video reminded me of the reasons why Gronk retired. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of those hits would be flagged in today's league.

Glad he didn't get beat up coming out of retirement. It helps that TB has more than 1 star receiver for the defense to focus on. And of course the rule changes.

It's amazing to look at our team and realize Brady had nowhere to go with the ball except to Gronk. This allowed Kam and Thomas to just line Gronk up play after play. Zero outside threat.

Now you look at Tampa and there is so many options on every play. No wonder Gronk is coming back from another year. Plus Arians gave him time off from practice too.

The shot from Earl Thomas was nice and clean, but brutal

The Seahawks were one of the only teams that actually played Gronk like men within the rules in that Superbowl.. they were going for body shots up high, which puts them at a disadvantage, have to give them props and tip the cap because they weren't trying to turn him into a cripple by chopping out his legs like every other DB in the league

The shot from Earl Thomas was nice and clean, but brutal

The Seahawks were one of the only teams that actually played Gronk like men within the rules in that Superbowl.. they were going for body shots up high, which puts them at a disadvantage, have to give them props and tip the cap because they weren't trying to turn him into a cripple by chopping out his legs like every other DB in the league
It was not the SB. I believe that was the regular season game in Foxboro a couple of year later, 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back