Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that

1. Successfully focus your entire defense on stopping Hill
  2. Let Kelce get his yards and hope the LBs can limit that a bit
  3. Get to the quarterback at a record percentage
  4. Face Mahomes when he's got a tender ankle

is generally repeatable
Exactly.

You can't copy that game plan if you don't have an elite and very athletic front 7.

Would be great to see Godwin get an extension to free up space and ensure Brady has his weapons until he retires.
If Godwin insists on getting top of the heap money, I don't think he'll be in Tampa beyond this season, unless this team is a SB team again this year.

1618352452675.png

NFL's highest paid players by position: Rankings for 2021 NFL season

He's just outside of that this year, but I'm not sure the team's going to invest much more annually moving forward, unless the team is still right at the top of the league.

If Godwin insists on getting top of the heap money, I don't think he'll be in Tampa beyond this season, unless this team is a SB team again this year.

View attachment 32110

NFL's highest paid players by position: Rankings for 2021 NFL season

He's just outside of that this year, but I'm not sure the team's going to invest much more annually moving forward, unless the team is still right at the top of the league.
The extension would definitely need to be a huge hometown discount.

As a FA he will easily command 20+ mil a year. But maybe the Bucs will make that commitment with the cap eventually going up due to the extended season and tv contracts.

So as a discount maybe 5yr/90mil at 18/yr could work out.

Would give Godwin his set for grandkids life while giving the Bucs a discount.

With all of the returning players the Bucs might have an advantage if all the teams skip OTAs
I was thinking the same thing although having no off-season last year really hurt the development of rookies. I really wish these guys would just mask up and show up. I think the Pats would be hurt the most if our guys opt out because we have the best coaching and we have so many new FAs, plus Cam's development given he had no off-season last year.

With all of the returning players the Bucs might have an advantage if all the teams skip OTAs
One thing seems sure in Tampa, and that is that Arians' comments about not having the voluntary workouts will hurt the chances of rookies, and that's probably more true for Bucs rookies than the rookies of any other team. Imagine being a low, or even mid, round Bucs draft pick, seeing that the team is bringing back almost the entire squad, and then realizing that you're trying to crack that squad based on a couple of mandatory OTAs and a shortened exhibition season.

Awesome breakdown here. I was enjoying another read through of the SB55 pregame thread on Chiefs Planet and someone made a comment that was echoed, at least implicitly, by the national media: Bowles is no Belichick and doesn‘t know how to gameplan for tendencies.

This guy does a great job showing just how brilliant the gameplan was. Here are a few highlights:

• The three games where Bowles blitzed least in his career were all against Andy Reid and the Chiefs.
  • The two high safety scheme, however, was really unique for the Bucs and Bowles and a total shock to the Chiefs. They didn’t seem to have any answer and kept throwing deep despite that coverage.
  • The schemes were much more complex than simply the position of the safeties and lack of blitzing. The corners handed off coverage really well and slid over; the entire defense anticipated that Mahomes would get flushed out of the pocket immediately, and the linemen purposely made him go in a certain direction.

If a team is looking for a head coach, I think Bowles is going to be a great one. You can’t judge him for not winning with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith with the worst organization in the league. He handled himself really well with the NY press though and his leadership skills were obvious. Give this guy a competitive team (with a real QB) and he’s going to excel.

I still remember that field goal Bowles called for against the Pats in 2016 when his Jets were down 41-0 late in the 4th just so it wouldn’t be a shutout. Weak sauce.

But yeah he probably earned himself another look at a head coaching gig next year with his Super Bowl game planning.

I was thinking the same thing although having no off-season last year really hurt the development of rookies. I really wish these guys would just mask up and show up. I think the Pats would be hurt the most if our guys opt out because we have the best coaching and we have so many new FAs, plus Cam's development given he had no off-season last year.

Except that Tristan Wirfs played like a top10 offensive tackle last year and Antoine Winfield became a starting FS for a Superbowl winner....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back