PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also to the guys that are saying keep Godwin over Barrett. Tampa free agents next year are JPP, Vae, Davis, Whitehead, Jenson, D. Smith, and Cappa. I don’t understand how it could be justified to pay two WR’s 17+ mill a year when you got those guys to pay next year after giving Davis a contract this year. Pay Barrett and have he and Vae anchor the defensive line with David/White as linebackers
Jensen and Smith are in line for extensions this year, in order to lower their cap hits and help create space for this year's signings. They don't help your argument.

My dream offseason if they can somehow make it work

Restructure
Tom Brady
Mike Evans

Chris Godwin: Re-sign or tag
Antonio Brown: Re-sign
Ron Gronkowski: Re-sign
Lavonte David: Re-sign
Ndamukong Suh: Re-sign
James White: 2 year deal
Von Miller: 1 year deal
Shaquille Barrett: let walk
Leonard Fournette: let walk

Draft pass rush at 32.

I don’t know if they can even fit all that without restructuring anyone else, but these just came to my head while I was in bed unable to sleep.

I do think they should be doing everything possible to keep going all-in while Brady is there just like the Saints did the last few years for Brees.

Last edited:

Restructure
Tom Brady
Mike Evans

Draft pass rush at 32.

I don’t know if they can even fit all that without restructuring anyone else, but these just came to my head while I was in bed unable to sleep.

I do think they should be doing everything possible to keep going all-in while Brady is there just like the Saints did the last few years for Brees.

That's ideal. They could offer Von Miller the pats 2014 Revis contract with the poison pill to make his cap hit lower. He'd have a good chance at a rebound playing next to Vea.

With all the veteran pass rushers FAs they should be able to get another on a cheap contract while a rookie would factor in as the third rusher.

Restructure
Tom Brady
Mike Evans

Draft pass rush at 32.

I know that RBs aren't valued as much in the modern NFL but Fournette was a total beast in the playoffs. He averaged 121 yds from scrimmage (4.7 avg rushing & 86% catch rate) and scored 4 TDs (next highest: 2 TD) with 24 FD (next highest: 10 FD). He was literally running over defenders. He doesn't fumble either.

Jones can't catch the ball and White is not a beastmode RB. Having Jones/White is going to telegraph the play to the defense.

I would make a decent offer to Fournette to try to keep him, if not let him walk.

Can someone please clarify to me All Pro team selections?. I have done a google and All Pro selections from any of the following outlets are considered All Pro selections per the NFL record books:

1. Associated Press
2. Sporting News
3. PFWOA

Brady had two seasons 2012 and 2016 whereby he was selected by Sporting News as the All Pro? So why on his accolades does it often state he only has 3 All Pro selections 2007,2010,2017??

Can someone please clarify to me All Pro team selections?. I have done a google and All Pro selections from any of the following outlets are considered All Pro selections per the NFL record books:

1. Associated Press
2. Sporting News
3. PFWOA

Brady had two seasons 2012 and 2016 whereby he was selected by Sporting News as the All Pro? So why on his accolades does it often state he only has 3 All Pro selections 2007,2010,2017??
I believe all of those award All-Pro, but the AP All-Pro is the only one considered “official” on a players resume.

I know that RBs aren't valued as much in the modern NFL but Fournette was a total beast in the playoffs. He averaged 121 yds from scrimmage (4.7 avg rushing & 86% catch rate) and scored 4 TDs (next highest: 2 TD) with 24 FD (next highest: 10 FD). He was literally running over defenders. He doesn't fumble either.

Jones can't catch the ball and White is not a beastmode RB. Having Jones/White is going to telegraph the play to the defense.

I would make a decent offer to Fournette to try to keep him, if not let him walk.
Agree and I think another year with Brady will make him even better at catching passes and blocking. He's only 26 and was the number 4 pick, so I believe his upside is what we saw in the playoff. The question for me is will another team overpay for him? If not, he is staying probably on a 3 year contract with the first 2 years guaranteed.

Maybe Wickersham is a media punk bigmouth with a Brady/Patriots fixation that could use a well placed left cross right in his stupid friggin' mouth.
We finally disagree on something. I prefer the obvious left cross that gets him to drop his head down for a serious right uppercut to his chin. That way I can watch his eyes roll back into his head when he pops back up with a mouth full of teeth.

@Bleedthrough

Will we be treated to a fourth consecutive year of a dramatic postseason news leak from Brees that this will be his last run, followed by an extended decision making process where everyone says he’s retiring and then he dramatically changes his mind?

All signs pointed to Drew Brees retiring from the Saints, even before he slashed his 2021 salary as part of a broader plan to manage the salary-cap reckoning. However, Brees still hasn’t announced his intentions.

Given the estimate provided two weeks ago by Saints coach Sean Payton, an announcement regarding Brees’ plans should be coming any day now.

Fifteen days ago, Payton said that the Saints anticipate an “announcement” from Brees within the next “week, week and a half.”

@Bleedthrough

Will we be treated to a fourth consecutive year of a dramatic postseason news leak from Brees that this will be his last run, followed by an extended decision making process where everyone says he’s retiring and then he dramatically changes his mind?

All signs pointed to Drew Brees retiring from the Saints, even before he slashed his 2021 salary as part of a broader plan to manage the salary-cap reckoning. However, Brees still hasn’t announced his intentions.

Given the estimate provided two weeks ago by Saints coach Sean Payton, an announcement regarding Brees’ plans should be coming any day now.

Fifteen days ago, Payton said that the Saints anticipate an “announcement” from Brees within the next “week, week and a half.”

Most quarterbacks have an ego. Hes probably figuring that his performance was due to his injury and he can come back and be effective. Will be interesting to see if the Saints move on, he doesn't retire and goes the Brady route to another team.

@Bleedthrough

This dude is unbelievable. You could argue the Saints have had the most talented roster in football from 2017-2020 and they’re 3-4 in the playoffs, with the offense averaging 22.7 PPG. All 7 games in a dome.

It’s obvious he’s done but he just can’t admit to himself he’s going to lose his precious passing yardage record. Maybe he thinks he can come back and throw dump offs, screens, and slants to try and keep his stats going.

I believe the Saints go 14-2/15-1/16-0 with Brady this past season and win the Super Bowl, especially since they would have had Gronkowski and probably Brown as well.

Wonder what Saints fans are thinking knowing they pretty much had Brady in the palm of their hands until the Dome Gnome got word of it?

Most quarterbacks have an ego. Hes probably figuring that his performance was due to his injury and he can come back and be effective. Will be interesting to see if the Saints move on, he doesn't retire and goes the Brady route to another team.
He's going into broadcasting. Signed a contract at last year's SB.

Maybe but his career is finished in new orleans. Their cap situation is just a complete mess. I expect some veteran cuts. They need money for their draft picks. They likely will lose trey hendrickson.

This dude is unbelievable. You could argue the Saints have had the most talented roster in football from 2017-2020 and they’re 3-4 in the playoffs, with the offense averaging 22.7 PPG. All 7 games in a dome.

It’s obvious he’s done but he just can’t admit to himself he’s going to lose his precious passing yardage record. Maybe he thinks he can come back and throw dump offs, screens, and slants to try and keep his stats going.

I believe the Saints go 14-2/15-1/16-0 with Brady this past season and win the Super Bowl, especially since they would have had Gronkowski and probably Brown as well.

Wonder what Saints fans are thinking knowing they pretty much had Brady in the palm of their hands until the Dome Gnome got word of it?

I just can’t believe he’s still dragging his feet. Saints fans finally realized what we’ve been saying for years about Brees being the team’s biggest hindrance to winning it all. If he doesn’t retire, I think things will ugly for him this time.

I just can’t believe he’s still dragging his feet. Saints fans finally realized what we’ve been saying for years about Brees being the team’s biggest hindrance to winning it all. If he doesn’t retire, I think things will ugly for him this time.
I think he is waiting for the dust to settle from the Super Bowl. He knows the news will be big when he does retire and he does not want to take away Tampa's moment. He most likely announces it next week. It's not like the Saints don't already know which is why his salary was converted already saving them money against the cap.

They had a thread on it right after Tampa beat them. Most of them lamented that the Saints did not get Brady precisely because Brees came back. They felt the same way, that they would have won the SB with Brady.

Part of me does wonder what that team would have looked like with Brady, Gronkowski, and Brown.

Imagine Brady with that Offensive Line and Payton calling the plays

Thomas (who probably doesn’t get hurt against the Winston Buccaneers)
Sanders
Brown
Gronkowski
Cook
Kamara

Saints fans would have been stuck in a tough spot because Brady with those tools would have made Brees look really bad.

Oh well, instead we get to see Brady go to a team in their division, come in their house in the playoffs to beat them, then beat Rodgers, and Mahomes for his 7th ring.

I think he is waiting for the dust to settle from the Super Bowl. He knows the news will be big when he does retire and he does not want to take away Tampa's moment. He most likely announces it next week. It's not like the Saints don't already know which is why his salary was converted already saving them money against the cap.

Brees has gone way out of his way for years to draw attention to himself, and particularly his dramatic retirement waffling. He isn’t doing anything to take focus away from himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick