PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is by far the most bizarre pick BB has ever made.

I thought that happened a few years ago with that JAG he took in the 2nd round? I think his name was Tavon Wilson or something like that.

Was Winfield Jr. still on the board?

He sure was. Dugger was the first S taken off of the board.
Actually Xavier McKinney was the first Safety off the board, at 36 by the Vagiants immediately preceding our pick at 37...
But that's cool because I didn't want McKinney either...
And you're right that one of Winfield (at FS) and Chinn (at SS/LB) should've been Bill's choice if he just couldn't help himself
and absolutely, positively had to have a Safety at 37...

Xavier McKinney was. Also Grant Delpit was taken before Winnfield too.

Actually Xavier McKinney was the first Safety off the board, at 36 by the Vagiants immediately preceding our pick at 37...
But that's cool because I didn't want McKinney either...
And you're right that one of Winfield (at FS) and Chinn (at SS/LB) should've been Bill's choice if he just couldn't help himself
and absolutely, positively had to have a Safety at 37...
I didn't notice it browsing quickly since he was taken right before Dugger. My bad @PatsBoy12

How won’t he be as expensive?

is it logical to pay two WR’s that much money when Barrett and other defenders are about to get payed. They also have miller/Johnson if they’re smart you pay AB less get picks for Godwin and pay the defense

Bucs are going all in for a superbowl this year and next. Once brady is gone its back to the cellar for them. it makes sense for them to go all out and spend to bring home that ring.

unlike patriots who decided to prepare for the brady succession.....with no successor or offensive talent prospects for the future.

Bucs are going all in for a superbowl this year and next. Once brady is gone its back to the cellar for them. it makes sense for them to go all out and spend to bring home that ring.

unlike patriots who decided to prepare for the brady succession.....with no successor or offensive talent prospects for the future.

Explain how the Bucs are more “all-in” than other NFL teams. I know the media is constantly writing this but have yet to find an actual explanation.

• They’ve acquired all of these players while retaining almost all of their draft picks.
  • Their salary cap doesn’t have much dead money.
  • They haven’t signed players to heavily backloaded contracts or restructured to delay cap hits.
  • They have few players on their roster who are paid more than they’re worth.
  • They don’t have an relatively old or aging roster.
  • They have plenty of productive young players on rookie contracts.
  • They only have a few UDFAs next season, with Godwin the only one who will cost significantly more than now.
  • They don’t have chemistry problems with their only notable concern a guy who signed a one year, dirt cheap deal as a bonus player.

I mean, Kansas City just signed a bunch of their players to huge backloaded long-term deals and Mahomes has a time bomb contract. Seattle just traded away two first round picks for Jamal Adams. Baltimore will need to pay Jackson soon and loaded up with huge defensive stars (along with their contracts.) The Saints have basically re-done their 2010s strategy of extreme cap delaying and will be a 4-win team within a year or two.

I think the opposite of this narrative is true, to be honest. The only reason people may say Tampa is “all-in”, implying they’re mortgaging their future for the very short-term is Tom Brady’s age. He may play four more seasons, which is a huge window in the NFL, or if he retires, they’d be a great QB away from contending like most teams.

Last edited:
I love how when Brady leaves Tampa it's back to the cellar but NE loses Brady and we are 'preparing'. All about how we word things I guess.
Not wording, fandom. This is just a case of fans being fans.

Explain how the Bucs are more “all-in” than other NFL teams. I know the media is constantly writing this but have yet to find an actual explanation.

• They’ve acquired all of these players while retaining almost all of their draft picks.
    Their salary cap doesn’t have large cap hits kicked down the road.
  • They haven’t signed players to heavily backloaded contracts.
  • They have few players on their roster who are paid more than they’re worth.
  • They don’t have an relatively old or aging roster.
  • They have plenty of productive young players on rookie contracts.
  • They only have a few UDFAs next season, with Godwin the only one who will cost significantly more than now.
  • They don’t have chemistry problems with their only notable concern a guy who signed a one year, dirt cheap deal as a bonus player.

I mean, Kansas City just signed a bunch of their players to huge backloaded long-term deals and Mahomes has a time bomb contract. Seattle just traded away two first round picks for Jamal Adams. Baltimore will need to pay Jackson soon and loaded up with huge defensive stars (along with their contracts.) The Saints have basically re-done their 2010s strategy of extreme cap delaying and will be a 4-win team within a year or two.

I think the opposite of this narrative is true, to be honest. The only reason people may say Tampa is “all-in”, implying they’re mortgaging their future for the very short-term is Tom Brady’s age. He may play four more seasons, which is a huge window in the NFL, or if he retires, they’d be like a lot of teams, a great QB away from contending.
Brady playing four more seasons would just out of this world amazing as a fan! We can only hope!

I love how when Brady leaves Tampa it's back to the cellar but NE loses Brady and we are 'preparing'. All about how we word things I guess.

I know, right? Tampa has “sold their soul” for a chance to compete while other teams with elite QBs will still contend for a Super Bowl with their scab backup or will merely “develop” a replacement (the ultimate NFL myth.)

Do people even realize that Tampa was 7-9 with a 35-turnover QB last year? That’s normally 4-12 territory. From a roster standpoint, if you take away the quarterback, they have a top 5 team. It’s a similar talent level to the 2012-15 Broncos.

I know, right? Tampa has “sold their soul” for a chance to compete while other teams with elite QBs will still contend for a Super Bowl with their scab backup or will merely “develop” a replacement (the ultimate NFL myth.)

Do people even realize that Tampa was 7-9 with a 35-turnover QB last year? That’s normally 4-12 territory. From a roster standpoint, if you take away the quarterback, they have a top 5 team. It’s a similar talent level to the 2012-15 Broncos.
It is the new formula. I was just thinking about it in another thread. You maximize a small 2-4 year window and go for it and it's the right call. It's incredibly difficult to impossible to try and be consistent for longer. Tampa folks are loving this. The hype the last 2 weeks is out of control and I said something like "calm down" in some other tampa thread one day and I was burned down to a crisp. This team in NE has been spoiled. We don't celebrate anything in week 7 but I think moving forward the next time we are 5-2 we will.

It is the new formula. I was just thinking about it in another thread. You maximize a small 2-4 year window and go for it and it's the right call. It's incredibly difficult to impossible to try and be consistent for longer. Tampa folks are loving this. The hype the last 2 weeks is out of control and I said something like "calm down" in some other tampa thread one day and I was burned down to a crisp. This team in NE has been spoiled. We don't celebrate anything in week 7 but I think moving forward the next time we are 5-2 we will.

Based on the 4-5 year rookie contract, the window really is about that long. Maybe a little longer if you can backload an extension like the Chiefs did with Mahomes, maybe a little shorter considering QBs very rarely win their rookie year no matter how good they are.

But in terms of a team’s window of being elite, you’re looking at a few years before the bill comes due. A team’s window for being competitive is a lot longer, as a market-value paid guy like Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, etc. should srill make you a 10-11 win squad and contender but not a juggernaut due to the huge cap allotment at QB. You’re also no longer getting lottery picks at that time and the more successful you are, the more your players value increases.

Look no further than the recent SB teams to confirm this: 2019 Chiefs, 2018 Rams. 2017 Eagles, all teams realizing they need to maximize their roster while they still can and pushing their QB contract down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes