PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That TD throw to Miller was about 45-50 yards in the air and, as the announcer said at the time, it was like he dropped the ball into a 5 gallon bucket. Millers catch radius isn't so big, the DB was right there, and it was a window about a foot wide and a foot deep. Once of his best deep throws in years
The bootleg throw was damn good too. I had to look again to make sure it was TB. That thing came in hot.

He has some the best talent around him. And him playing at an MVP level is a bit of an overstatement.
No it isn’t. LMFAOOOO. Extrapolate his stats over a 16 game schedule, compare those stats with past MVP candidates, and get back to me.

He had two great games and one very good game this month. He has 18 TDs this season and nine of them came in two games. Let's see how this season plays out before we judge him on three games. If he wins the MVP, then I will admit I am wrong.
You’re aware that the season is longer than a month, yes? See what you’re doing here? You’re trying to dig your heels in and taking on what will ultimately be a losing argument to avoid admitting one thing - that you were wrong. Like I said, it’s Kellermanesque.

Show me where he can elevate a bad team. Show me that and then I am wrong.
Sure. Last year. If you’re going to excuse away the fact that they didn’t win the Super Bowl in 2006, thereby negating the assertion that he’s never been able to “elevate a truly bad team,” then you need to accept 2019. Either that, or you need to admit the former. But you can’t have both.

In 2019, he had the worst offense in his career one game away from a first round bye and a second seed, all the while throwing for over 4,000 yards, 24 TDs, and 8 INTs. That same team, with the addition of Byrd and a healthy OL, is currently one of the worst offenses of all time when adjusted for era. That fits your definition of “elevating a bad team.” You have no argument here.

Your argument about 2006 is ridiculous. The Pats were one play away from going to the Super Bowl with a #3 WR at best as your primary receiver and you say since he didn't get to the Super Bowl, he didn't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. You lose all credibility with this argument alone.

His supporting cast in 2006 was light years ahead of his supporting cast in 2019. It’s not even remotely close. Do yourself a favor and either just admit that you were wrong or bow out. There’s nothing but a world of aggravation down the path you’re currently on.

Were you on the set of that shoot?

No, company I work for uses that lab frequently. That picture was taken this summer, those are just plastic rings in the same locker.

He played three MVP quality games this year. I cherry picking the good games, not the bad games. If you want to throw in the game where he sucked more power to you.

The Bucks reloaded this year. Brady was far from the only addition that they added this year. They rebuilt the o-line and added players like JPP and Suh to the defense,

But you seem to forget that a horrible QB like Jameis Winston threw for 5109 yards and 33 TDs last year.

5109 and 33 TDs...you know the exact missing context and missing stats there. High efficiency/low turnovers often results in less passing yards. You’re looking at one of the worst points/turnover ratios versus one of the best.

Winston had:
  • 30 interceptions
  • 5 lost fumbles
  • 47 sacks taken
  • 28.6 ppg
Brady’s projection:
  • 9 interceptions
  • 2 lost fumbles
  • 18 sacks taken
  • 31.7 ppg

I was never one of those Brady is done people. I said he lost a step. I don't think he could elevate this team anymore with the talent (or lack there of) like he used to.

The Pats were one play away from the big game in 2006. And they would have won if they did go. Stop making it sound like the Pats were one and done in 2006. He made filet minion out of chicken **** in 2006.

One place he seems to have proved me wrong is his deep ball throwing. I thought that was deteriorated more than it looks in Tampa.
What has he slipped up in? He looks like the same player he was in 2016/2017.

I have to say that all these reporters like Peter King piling on to the Patriots are ridiculous. Brady didn't leave here because he thought the situation was hopeless.

He left because he had invested himself in the franchise so much and was not rewarded with what he wanted most: a deal that would assure he would keep playing as long as he wanted. It's that simple.

Peter King is late to the game. We know there was big disappointment for Brady after the contract negotiation in 2018. He put up his house for sale, for heaven's sake, a house he intended to live in for the rest of his life. He was leaving precisely because he didn't want to be jettisoned at the age of 44 after a bad season. It wasn't because of a lack of weapons. It was because of a lack of trust.

I have to say that all these reporters like Peter King piling on to the Patriots are ridiculous. Brady didn't leave here because he thought the situation was hopeless.

He left because he had invested himself in the franchise so much and was not rewarded with what he wanted most: a deal that would assure he would keep playing as long as he wanted. It's that simple.

Peter King is late to the game. We know there was big disappointment for Brady after the contract negotiation in 2018. He put up his house for sale, for heaven's sake, a house he intended to live in for the rest of his life. He was leaving precisely because he didn't want to be jettisoned at the age of 44 after a bad season. It wasn't because of a lack of weapons. It was because of a lack of trust.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

You never thought the ones who slighted and doubted Tom would be the Patriots.

The Pats demise is something the media has been waiting on for a long time now. There's blood in the water, so the sharks are out. If the Pats lose this weekend, watch out...

I disagree with this

I think Brady would have liked to have stayed here, but there was more going on than just a contract. This roster, offensively is terrible. There is no other way to look at it. Had Harry not been a bust, and Bill actually made any attempt on a real TE then maybe it's a different story. But with a closing window, and slowly diminishing skill set why would he accept what the Pats have for him to work with?

What do you mean down to Thuney and Edelman? Thuney is relatively young. He's in his 5th year. The entire OL is a foundation and building block for this team. We don't have a single hole there. Which means we better get cracking on WR and TE.
Veteran leaders who have won a Super Bowl. I forgot about Andrews, Mason, White and Burkhead.

I'm confident Thuney will not re-sign with the Pats as he will wait to see if Quinton Nelson cracks the $20M per year mark. I doubt BB franchises Thuney again.

I disagree with this

I think Brady would have liked to have stayed here, but there was more going on than just a contract. This roster, offensively is terrible. There is no other way to look at it. Had Harry not been a bust, and Bill actually made any attempt on a real TE then maybe it's a different story. But with a closing window, and slowly diminishing skill set why would he accept what the Pats have for him to work with?
Both of you are correct. Pre 2019, Brady wanted to extend and retire a Patriot. I'm sure Brady was absolutely disgusted/embarrassed/betrayed/etc. not getting an extension given what he's done for this Franchise and BB's career. Post 2019, there was no way he was coming back even had the Pats matched the Bucs offer due to what the Pats had on the Offensive side of the ball. It was really a blessing in disguise for Brady because he'd be rotting his last few years here and regretting signing a Pats extension.

However, the timing on this is extremely poor.
The Pats demise is something the media has been waiting on for a long time now. There's blood in the water, so the sharks are out. If the Pats lose this weekend, watch out...
Yep, this has been brewing since he started his success in 2001. The media hated how he handled press conferences and guys like Borges and Tomase despised them so much which eventually led to the Super Bowl walkthrough scandal. That was downright dirty by Tomase.

They've allowed the mumbling and the cut off sleeves or homeless look slide for years. But now that they are losing without Brady, it's open season.

Last edited:
That was the one and only source which was reporting that. Nobody else did. I have my doubts this is anything more than speculation.

There is zero chance Belichick would turn down a 1st round pick for Garoppolo who at that time had less than one half of meaningful NFL experience.
I know Joe Thomas was in the building at the time and was pretty open about what happened. Some of this is his opinion

JOE THOMAS SAYS CLEVELAND BROWNS WOULD HAVE 'OUTBID EVERYBODY' FOR JIMMY GAROPPOLO​

The New England Patriots traded Garoppolo to the San Francisco 49ers for a second-round pick.

Author: Ben Axelrod
Published: 5:14 PM EST January 12, 2018
Ever since the New England Patriots traded Jimmy Garoppolo to San Francisco last October, fans have wondered why the Cleveland Browns -- armed with a treasure chest of assets -- never trumped the 49ers' offer.
Conspiracy theories have ranged from now-former vice president of football operations Sashi Brown not being at the team facility on the night of the trade deadline to Bill Belichick still resenting Cleveland, where he used to be the Browns head coach.

As it turns out, neither of those explanations were likely accurate. According to someone who was in the Browns facility when the Garoppolo trade went down -- left tackle Joe Thomas -- Cleveland was never given the opportunity to put its best offer on the table with New England.

Thomas delved deeper into his team's failed attempt -- or lack thereof -- to acquire Garoppolo on the latest ThomaHawk Show podcast, which he hosts with former Browns receiver Andrew Hawkins.

“I remember being in the building and in Cleveland when we heard that Garoppolo was traded and I had some discussions with people in our building in the front office and they were just as perplexed about what happened as anybody in the media because the people in Cleveland have had a great working relationship with the Patriots front office," Thomas said. “The Browns people said to the Patriots, ‘If Jimmy Garoppolo is ever available, make sure we’re the first ones you call because we would love to make a deal.’"
Thomas proceeded to reveal that given the opportunity to do so, the Browns would have done all that they could have to land Garoppolo, who closed the 2017 season with five straight wins as the 49ers' starting quarterback.

“There was definitely plenty of overtures throughout the season," Thomas said. "And then to see that he was traded to San Francisco without the Browns even getting a phone call was sort of the confusion on everyone’s part. Like, ‘Wait a minute. We would’ve outbid everybody.'”
The 10-time Pro Bowl left tackle went on to explain that he believed the reason that Browns never got that call was due to Belichick's desire to send Garoppolo to a more stable franchise in hopes that he would re-sign there. Had he traded Garoppolo to the Browns, the former backup quarterback may have hit the free agent market, where he could have potentially signed with an AFC East rival.

I disagree with this

Your timeline is off. Brady made moves to prepare his exit in summer of 2018. This was before Harry's first season. That summer we had a bunch of WRs in the fold, and Brady had just played well with a very limited WR core of ONLY Edelman. He didn't want to be jettisoned by the Patriots.

Veteran leaders who have won a Super Bowl. I forgot about Andrews, Mason, White and Burkhead.

I'm confident Thuney will not re-sign with the Pats as he will wait to see if Quinton Nelson cracks the $20M per year mark. I doubt BB franchises Thuney again.

Both of you are correct. Pre 2019, Brady wanted to extend and retire a Patriot. I'm sure Brady was absolutely disgusted/embarrassed/betrayed/etc. not getting an extension given what he's done for this Franchise and BB's career. Post 2019, there was no way he was coming back even had the Pats matched the Bucs offer due to what the Pats had on the Offensive side of the ball. It was really a blessing in disguise for Brady because he'd be rotting his last few years here and regretting signing a Pats extension.

However, the timing on this is extremely poor.

Yep, this has been brewing since he started his success in 2001. The media hated how he handled press conferences and guys like Borges and Tomase despised them which eventually led to the Super Bowl walkthrough scandal. That was downright dirty by Tomase.

They've allowed the mumbling and the cut off sleeves or homeless look slide for years. But now that they are losing without Brady, it's open season.
All of which will mean nothing. Kraft is too smart to be looking to dump a coach who just brought him a 20 year period of sustained excellence.

How many games do "you" need? Seems like there's an ample sample size to actually form an opinion. He also lost OJ, Evans is hurt and missed time and so has Godwin. He's got a fluctuating WR corps and he's 18 TDs, 4 ints... on a brand new team in his first year.

Wow, wow, and wow.

Maybe BB should have listened to Tom and gotten him some better talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes