PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: my mother just had temporary paralysis due to low hemoglobin counts - Not a Stroke(UPDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very glad to hear the positive news.

You know, I’ve been skeptical about the universe heeding our thoughts and prayers on personal issues because we’re Pats fans and we’ve been so blessed anyway for the last 20 years? But I guess because we’re all awesome it still works :)

Good to hear it was a lesser evil than initially suspected. Prayers for a full and fast recovery.

Allow me to try to inject some humor into this now that everything turned out to be okay for your mom. At least your brother heard the cries and decided not to dismiss them as “the voices.” Too soon? Who knows. Could be a **** joke as well. I don’t know. I just woke up and I’m not exactly buzzing with the best material. Anyway, I hope the surgery goes well and she’s back on her feet soon. And tell her to start piping up about stuff when she’s hurting.
I considered clicking the funny emoticon as a joke but decided against it.

I considered clicking the funny emoticon as a joke but decided against it.
If they seriously thought you considered that funny, then they’re idiots and should avoid breeding in an effort to save the rest of humanity the grief of having to deal with their Mongoloid offspring.

Glad to hear some positive news Simpleton. Best wishes to her

Allow me to try to inject some humor into this now that everything turned out to be okay for your mom. At least your brother heard the cries and decided not to dismiss them as “the voices.” Too soon? Who knows. Could be a **** joke as well. I don’t know. I just woke up and I’m not exactly buzzing with the best material.

That thought was on my mind. Glad he didn't. He's on good medication and he's generally able to tell the difference though

Anyway, I hope the surgery goes well and she’s back on her feet soon. And tell her to start piping up about stuff when she’s hurting.

Believe me, we're working on it. My mom is an amazing woman but I came by my issues with low self esteem for a reason.

One more update, Mom is now in the care of the fine team at Eastern Maine Medical Center, she had an uneventful ambulance ride from our hometown of Calais. They're still doing ultrasound and MRIs and other scanny-searchy medical procedures, I'm pretty sure they threatened her with a colonoscopy at some point in the proceedings.

I wouldn't describe her as happy but she has her husband with her, I just skyped down to his computer and of course there he was, right at her side. Doctors are going to do the surgery either tomorrow or Monday. Which means we probably get her back sometime around the end of next week if things go well.

My younger brother has access to the family savings account so we're OK if it drags on for a bit. It doesn't sound like Mom is in any kind of mortal peril. In all it could be a lot worse.

My one regret right now is that I can't do anything really to support the family myself in Dad's absence. Unfortunately I'm not employed right now and my prospects aren't great. I'm 40, only an Associate's Degree, struggle with depression and obesity and am on the autism spectrum, so while I'm intelligent and reasonably articulate, "hireable" is not the first word one might use to describe me. Neither is "self-confident."

Basically I feel like I've spent the last 15 years stuck in neutral and I don't really know what I can do about it. So I do what I can to help around the house, mostly with the cooking. My parents are superheroes taking care of me and my older brother for as long as they have, I don't like being dependent on their generosity but I just can't get any traction.

Mods, could you please reference this post as an update post in the title?

Also please edit the title to mention that it was not a stroke.

And yeah, it wasn't a stroke, but it was temporary paralysis, triggered, somehow, no idea how, by low hemoglobin counts. Apparently my dear mother has been bleeding into her gasstrointestinal tract for 2 weeks and she's so reluctant to complain about anything that we had no idea how serious it was.

The good news though is that other than being reluctant to tell us her actual needs, there's nothing actually wrong with her brain structurally. The blood just wasn't delivering enough oxygen due to low hemoglobin levels... I guess?

Just a bit of background, Mom's a cancer survivor, she survived a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in the right side of her head about 18 years ago, but before the doctors beat it back it put some pressure on her brain, causing brain damage. my best guess as to what happened is that the area s of her brain had been using to work around that damaged region got short changed on oxygen and started malfunctioning.

Anyway, the bad news is she probably needs surgery, the good news is this seems to be something that surgery and a transfusion can improve her condition quickly. Good news, and massive relief for me. I'm not really ready to let my mother go yet. She's too awesome.
Very good news. Nothing is noir important than mom. My thoughts are with you her and your family.

I’ll be praying the rosary for you.

My one regret right now is that I can't do anything really to support the family myself in Dad's absence. Unfortunately I'm not employed right now and my prospects aren't great. I'm 40, only an Associate's Degree, struggle with depression and obesity and am on the autism spectrum, so while I'm intelligent and reasonably articulate, "hireable" is not the first word one might use to describe me. Neither is "self-confident."

Basically I feel like I've spent the last 15 years stuck in neutral and I don't really know what I can do about it. So I do what I can to help around the house, mostly with the cooking. My parents are superheroes taking care of me and my older brother for as long as they have, I don't like being dependent on their generosity but I just can't get any traction.
Sorry for your struggles.
I am assure you that your concern and “being there” for her are the greatest means of support your mother would want.
Have you considered any of the online, work from home positions that are available? Just a thought. If there is anything I can do to help feel free to reach out at any time.

Simpleton. Glad to hear there was some positive news. I would have responded that I was praying but I have not practiced my faith in so long I would have probably jinxed you. But I was giving positive vibes your way. Go Mom!

Sorry for your struggles.
I am assure you that your concern and “being there” for her are the greatest means of support your mother would want.
Have you considered any of the online, work from home positions that are available? Just a thought. If there is anything I can do to help feel free to reach out at any time.
I looked into that stuff but nothing really worked for me. I'm still looking occasionally, but I suspsect the Bureau of Labor would classify me as a "discouraged worker" because it can be some time between the bouts of self-confidence or desperation that send me on another hunt.

I looked into that stuff but nothing really worked for me. I'm still looking occasionally, but I suspsect the Bureau of Labor would classify me as a "discouraged worker" because it can be some time between the bouts of self-confidence or desperation that send me on another hunt.
Good luck.

Great to hear that it wasn't a stroke!

We need a hug emogi for posts like these where you support the person and not necessarily the content.

Hopefully things look up for you. I have a child with depression and it's no picnic.

Begging for thoughts and prayers

If you are from this area and have decent medical coverage, this whole area is rich with resources in dealing with these sort of issues.. positive thoughts about the outcome.

Maturity can sometimes suck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing