PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Mike Vrabel named Titans coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhhh so you're one of those fans. "______ player is gone because he wasn't good anymore". Carry on.

Everybody gets old, some get cut, especially people with bad backs. He didn't produce much his last year, if that's what you mean.

BBFL expanding..

(Flores close to Arizona job as well unfortunately)

Waiting for the rest of his staff but I think he is definitely not ready to be a HC just yet. Hope the Titans give him time to work it all out because he could develop into a good one.
Very surprised. It seems awful soon. Although I guess if you are the right guy you are the right guy and playing in the league as long as he did should give you the base of knowing the ins and outs, but I’m skeptical.

Mike Ditka?
nailed-it-moon.png

I like Vrabel. Not sure this is good for the QB. Very few defensive head coaches help their QBs by seeing the whole game e.g BB. Josh with mariota wouldve been very interesting to see.

Congrats to Mike. Wish him success except obviously vs. the Pats.
Was certainly one of my favorite players and very much a coach on the field.
Echoing others, it seems a year or two too soon. But he's a smart guy, hope it works out.

He must be the type of guy that nails the hell out of interviews because because his resume as a DC is light and unimpressive.

Last edited:
Texans are expected to have assistant head coach-defense Romeo Crennel run the defense again with Mike Vrabel moving on to coach the Titans. Crennel had the Texans ranked first in total defense the previous season.

The NFL is quickly becoming a 3 coaching tree (NE, SEA, Holgren a/k/a GB) world

Congrats to mike. He has earned this position. I wish him the best against everybody but us.

Ps: may he have an undefeated record against the jets!!!!!

It does feel too soon for Vrabel, but there are precedents for guys turning into decent coaches without dominating as coordinators.

I'm not a fan of Tomlin or Harbaugh, but both have winning records and have been around a while despite not having great track records as coordinators.

Tomlin was Tampa's DB coach for a few years with Dungy, then served 1 year as the DC for Minnesota when they finished 14th in points allowed (8th in yards allowed to be fair), then beat out two internal Steelers candidates (Whisenhunt, Grimm) to surprisingly get the job.

Harbaby was a special teams coach for several years, then got a chance to coach the DBs for one year, where the Eagles finished 18th in passing yards allowed. But he still got the job with the Ravens the next year, largely due to Jason Garrett turning down the job and Belichick highly recommending Harbaugh to owner Steve Bisciotti.

I think it will be tough for Vrabel, but not impossible. I worry that he's too far behind with the assistant coaches, as many of the top names have already found new homes. He should hire or keep veteran coordinators, perhaps some with previous HC experience. I feel like Sean McVay really benefited from having Wade Phillips as his DC, not just on the defensive side but also as a mentor to help him adjust to the head coaching role. Vrabel would be wise to do something similar.

Loved Vrabes here.
Agree that it's premature ejaculation into a HC slot.
Wish him the best except for one game.
AFC South will be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back