Will Sam Darnold ever be a top 10 Quarter Back

• Yes

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 28 84.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, decision-making is the most important element of success for a QB in the NFL, followed by accuracy, toughness (mental and physical), arm talent, and mobility, in that order. After this many years watching Brady, this is what has become most clear for me.

Thus in assessing Darnold, who I liked watching in college, my biggest question is about his decision-making and accuracy. His biggest issue last year in college was turning over the ball, both on INTs and fumbles, and the Pac 12 wasn’t all that strong as a conference last year. Now he is starting Game 1 with all the pressure that entails for even experienced QBs while simultaneously trying to correct his biggest flaw from last year. I think it’s a very tall order for him and was pretty surprised that Bowles didn’t wait until Darnold had a decent number of snaps through say 4 games backing up McCown (similar to how Parcells eased in Bledsoe behind Secules in Drew’s first year).

Great post.

I believe there is a minimum arm strength that a quarterback must possess, and there have been plenty of cases of quarterbacks who lacked it and couldn’t cut it for that reason. But beyond that amount needed to play the position well, it seems like the idea of having a “rocket arm” is totally overrated. Sure, maybe there are a handful of plays you’ll see a guy make every season (more on midrange bullets than deep passes, since honestly, how often does a receiver catch the ball 80 yards from the line of scrimmage?) So it’s nice to have that extra gear once in awhile, but decision making and accuracy are important on every play, and if you’re a good decision maker and can make quick reads, there isn’t a big need to be scrambling that much. Toughness is harder to quantify but it’s probably the thing that makes TB12 the greatest, which is ironic because he seems so effeminate off the field, or at least he used to be...lol

• Ha Ha
Reactions: jah
IMHO, decision-making is the most important element of success for a QB in the NFL, followed by accuracy, toughness (mental and physical), arm talent, and mobility, in that order. After this many years watching Brady, this is what has become most clear for me.

Thus in assessing Darnold, who I liked watching in college, my biggest question is about his decision-making and accuracy. His biggest issue last year in college was turning over the ball, both on INTs and fumbles, and the Pac 12 wasn’t all that strong as a conference last year. Now he is starting Game 1 with all the pressure that entails for even experienced QBs while simultaneously trying to correct his biggest flaw from last year. I think it’s a very tall order for him and was pretty surprised that Bowles didn’t wait until Darnold had a decent number of snaps through say 4 games backing up McCown (similar to how Parcells eased in Bledsoe behind Secules in Drew’s first year).
I believe you're wrong about Bledsoe playing behind Secules. Drew started his rookie season No. 1. He was hurt for a few games mid-season and Secules played, but then Drew came back.

Last edited:
I believe you're wrong about Bledsoe playing behind Secules. Drew started his rookie season No. 1. He was hurt for a few games mid-season and Secules played, but then Drew came back.

I distinctly remember something about how Secules was the starter in the offseason but even Parcells' distaste for playing rookies could make a scenario where he was better a better option than Drew.

TommyD really seems to hate the Rats....I like that in a Pats fan.

Here's a glimpse into Darnold's future when Jete fan sours on him...

FlashyGlisteningArrowcrab-size_restricted.gif

I get that it's fun to root for a new player on your team but I've seen so many preseason Hall of Famers that I think you got to wait at least half a season before you are able to even start to evaluate him.

Brady lead the league in TDs in his second season but was nothing like what he became. At the same time I remember guys like RGIII who looked better than Luck in their rookie years and is working at a Trader Joe's now or something.

Darnold looked solid in the preseason but I'm actually suspicious that Teddy B wasn't the better QB.

TommyD really seems to hate the Rats....I like that in a Pats fan.

Here's a glimpse into Darnold's future when Jete fan sours on him...

FlashyGlisteningArrowcrab-size_restricted.gif

My hate for the Jets is only surpassed by my hate for the Dolphins.

you know Tommy...it really is too bad that Dan won't get his....ring....:D:p:D:p:D:D:p

in fact, I wrote a little tune based on the Phizz..er..Phins fight song...here's a few bars..

Dolphinzz...Miami Dolphins..oh the greatest team that never wins a thing...

Dolppins...Miami Dollphins...oh, it's too bad that Dan

won't get his RING!

After reading the Pepper Johnson comments on how the Jets are run, nothing surprises me.. How many new and exciting QB's have been cast aside and lost their mojo when playing for really crappy teams???

You and Gumballs are the two obvious ones I was referring to, numbnuts.

Cmon, he’s a jet fan. Smarts went out the window a long time ago. How could you expect him to pick up on that?

Makes you wonder how bad Hackenberg really is if he couldn’t even get a game over Petty after the season was shot. We already knew Petty didn’t have it, why not throw the other kid out there...?

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. At least see what he had. But that's what happens when coaches are looking over their shoulders.

Come what may, Bowels will be fired at the end of the season. That will give McGags 2 more years over a new coach before the Piper comes for McGags. It’s simple loser GM math.

I distinctly remember something about how Secules was the starter in the offseason but even Parcells' distaste for playing rookies could make a scenario where he was better a better option than Drew.
I don't think so, Bledsoe won the job in training camp and was atop the depth chart from day one. His superiority to Secules throwing the ball was obvious.

Bowles seems to be a Jim Caldwell kind of coach. He looks dead on the sidelines.

Once the Jets made an investment to move up in the draft in order to get one of the good QB's of this class and ended up with "The QB" they wanted according to reports, a QB that supposedly wouldn't make past the Giants, they should've also packed Bowles and started a new cycle. Whatever Darnold develops with him will be temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back