PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - In 2017, will we SIGN THE BEAST?! (Yet another Fitz speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kick the tires if the price is reasonable. I love seeing classy aging veterans get a 2nd chance on the Pats. Often times, even if they don't make it, they have great things to say about the experience. Would love to see him get a ring with Brady.

Reggie Wayne is another good example of somebody they kicked the tires on but didn't work out. In Wayne's case, as I read it, he didn't want to put in the work and didn't see how he was going to adapt to the Patriots' read-and-react route tree.

Malcolm Mitchell is such a huge find for this team. So far, it looks like he completely gets it, and Brady trusts him on 3rd down. We though Kenbrell Thompkins might have been that guy, but he wasn't. I hope Floyd can find a fit given that he's a Charlie Weis product from Notre Dame. Floyd's only 27 and has lots of years left.

My point is that if the value and opportunity is there then there is no reason to assume that BB would say no.

Reggie Wayne is another good example of somebody they kicked the tires on but didn't work out. In Wayne's case, as I read it, he didn't want to put in the work and didn't see how he was going to adapt to the Patriots' read-and-react route tree.

Malcolm Mitchell is such a huge find for this team. So far, it looks like he completely gets it, and Brady trusts him on 3rd down. We though Kenbrell Thompkins might have been that guy, but he wasn't. I hope Floyd can find a fit given that he's a Charlie Weis product from Notre Dame. Floyd's only 27 and has lots of years left.

Of all the WRs to come through here, Jabar Gaffney was the biggest miracle. Average at best receiver comes in off the street midseason and looks like he's been playing in the system for years. They should make him a scout or coach since he made the adjustment and maximized his talent fast and under duress.

And the Celtics will trade for Boogie Cousins and free beer tomorrow will finally come.

You are ignoring that Reggie Wayne was roaming around Foxboro for a few weeks. It all boils down to the question whether there is value (i.e. money) relative to the envisioned role for a player.
The main differences with the Wayne scenario:

--Our depth at WR was a joke. All of Edelman, LaFell (who would remain on PUP), and Dobson were injured at the end of training camp when Wayne was signed. Things are night and day different right now.

--While Wayne was a sunk cost, he was still a relatively cheap signing at the time for the 10 full days he was here. They lost out on a 450,000 signing bonus, but even if Wayne were to catch 100 balls and go to the pro bowl, his maximum value wouldn't have gone much above 2.5 million. Do you honestly see a guy like Larry Fitzgerald coming here for 2--2.5 million dollars?

I think there are a lot of differences with the Wayne/Fitzgerald situations.

--Our depth at WR was a joke. All of Edelman, LaFell (who would remain on PUP), and Dobson were injured at the end of training camp when Wayne was signed. Things are night and day different right now.

--While Wayne was a sunk cost, he was still a relatively cheap signing at the time for the 10 full days he was here. They lost out on a 450,000 signing bonus, but even if Wayne were to catch 100 balls and go to the pro bowl, his maximum value wouldn't have gone much above 2.5 million. Do you honestly see a guy like Larry Fitzgerald coming here for 2--2.5 million dollars?

My main point throughout the entire Fitzgerald scenario is that he needs to sign a low contract so his presence for rotational play can be considered value.

I understand the business reality of the NFL so generally I'd say that it's pretty unlikely but if anyone I could see Fitz take a heavy discount to come here for a shot at a ring and spending some time with BB/Brady. Overall I don't think it's very likely..

In terms of the Wayne situation I agree that our depth situation was completely different than it is right now. My point there was that BB doesn't have an issue with signing great players in the twilight of their career if there is value to be had.

Finally, who knows what the future holds for Amendola or Floyd.

In a nutshell, I think it's up to Fitz if he wants to join us next year to hunt his ring.

who is he going to take snaps from?

Hogan and brady are getting on to the same page.
Gronk is gronk
Jules is the security blanket.
Mitchel has been building trust

sad to say but fitzgeralds chances probably evaporated the last time he signed in extension in az.

Nope. He is starting to show his age and has slowed down at the end of the season. I don't think he is done but i have serious concerns if he can be effective come playoff time so i don't want him on the team for what he would cost (even at a discount of what he is getting paid now).

Time has come and gone.

I want defensive play makers. The offense is good as is for the most part.

I respect your opinion, but let's not compare Amendola to Larry Fitz.

Larry Fitz - 13 seasons - 14,000+ receiving yards & 103 Touchdowns.

Larry Fitzgerald Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Danny Amendola 8 seasons - 3,450 receiving yards & 17 touchdowns.

Danny Amendola Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Amendola stepped up in the playoffs, but Larry Fitz has also stepped up in the playoffs

I respect your opinion, but let's not compare Amendola to Larry Fitz.

Larry Fitz - 13 seasons - 14,000+ receiving yards & 103 Touchdowns.

Larry Fitzgerald Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Danny Amendola 8 seasons - 3,450 receiving yards & 17 touchdowns.

Danny Amendola Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Oh I never said Amendola > Larry Fitz. Clearly that is the other way around.

My issue is the price for each. Amendola can be had for 1-2M I am sure. Fitz even on a discount is 8-9M and If you pay him that he will not justify it where as Amendola can justify his salary. If you try to feature Fitz it will go okay but I do think just like this year he will slow down near the end of the year. That is why I don't want him. If he comes here for 1-3M and wants to be the 3rd or 4th guy so we ca nsave him fine but He won't go for that so it is a non-starter.

Also I am aware of Amendola cap hit next year but believe just like this year he will make a deal to stay cause he knows we will never pay him that. This year he went from 6.5 or something to 3M and next year he has even less leverage.

These threads drive me crazy. Let the Grigsons of the world sign a 34-year-old wide receiver. When are people going to learn that this is not what the Patriots do?

Reggie Wayne, Ochocinco, Torry Holt, Joey Galloway. But, apparently they shouldn't since it never seems to work out.

Reggie Wayne, Ochocinco, Torry Holt, Joey Galloway. But, apparently they shouldn't since it never seems to work out.

Ochocinco was the only one that the Patriots dropped some real money on, and that debacle had more to do with 85's inability to read defenses than age.

Ochocinco was the only one that the Patriots dropped some real money on, and that debacle had more to do with 85's inability to read defenses than age.

That very well might be the worst signing of BB's tenure here. $5.5m for 15 catches and 276 yards.

That beast is getting old man.

Not a bad deal for Ocho at $370K/catch.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3