PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - In 2017, will we SIGN THE BEAST?! (Yet another Fitz speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald hints at playing elsewhere in 2017

Larry Fitzgerald, the Ultimate beast
The one who got away
The player we all wanted in our team, maybe

If he is indeed a FA 2017, he would be a great addition. Amendola is quite expensive and, clutch and reliable as he is, Fitz is a better receiver than him AND only 2 years older. PLUS he is one of the best professionals out there, being commended by Brady and BB on multiple occasions

Nope. He is starting to show his age and has slowed down at the end of the season. I don't think he is done but i have serious concerns if he can be effective come playoff time so i don't want him on the team for what he would cost (even at a discount of what he is getting paid now).

Time has come and gone.

I want defensive play makers. The offense is good as is for the most part.

It sounds good in theory, but do you really envision Fitzgerald coming here to take over Danny Amendola's place (WR4)?

Understanding that Fitz has been moved to the slot on most occasions, I just have a hard time seeing how we would justify paying that salary. Many here don't feel that it's a good use of financial resources as it is, let alone bumping it up a few/several more million a year.

With Mitchell, Edelman and Hogan coming back next year, I'm perfectly fine with having Amendola as a role player/possession receiver with limited targets. This is also assuming that Floyd does not return.

5 years ago sure. Maybe even 3. His problem was/is he is a loyal guy. He should have bounced from here years ago but pride kept from doing so.

I can say that about a lot of players.

I want defensive play makers. The offense is good as is for the most part.

I hear that. We need depth and youth for both the front seven as well as the secondary, particularly after March comes and steals some of our FAs.

Best blocking receiver, great in the slot, and a playoff destroyer?

Nah, I will roll the dice on a third rounder.

At this stage, I am really comfortable giving Brady whatever he wants. He probably wouldn't hate having another GOAT level talent to throw to.

Plus, it would be signing him after being cut, so it doesn't effect any comp picks.

Best blocking receiver, great in the slot, and a playoff destroyer?

Nah, I will roll the dice on a third rounder.

At this stage, I am really comfortable giving Brady whatever he wants. He probably wouldn't hate having another GOAT level talent to throw to.
I think that's actually the argument against him, though. In past years, it would be a no-brainer, but now we have Hogan and Mitchell on the outside, with Gronk as the big RZ and downfield seam route target.

With Julian Edelman and a fairly affordable Amendola in the mix, where would Fitzgerald fit? I'm all for bringing him in and paying more money to the WR4 position if that's what Belichick feels is best, but I think the odds of that happening are pretty low. Just my opinion. I'd welcome my hometown hero Fitz with open arms.

We still have the RBs, too. Guys like Lewis and White certainly count as receiving options. Ultimately, it's all about whether BB feels his value would be here, but it's not easy envisioning how he'd immediately come in and be the highest paid WR in a closely knit and experienced corps.

I predict the following will happen yet again:

1. A 30-something free agent who still appears to be productive is rumored to be looking to play for a contender next year.
2. Patriots fans wet their pants that this player will have tunnel vision, accepting a team friendly offer from the Patriots while ignoring 31 other teams.
3. Free agency begins.
4. One minute into free agency, the player signs a lucrative deal with a different team, often a fringe contender.
5. Patriots fans get mad that said player teased us into believing he would sign here. Although a few of them take their disappointment out on the most successful coach/ player evaluator in NFL history by calling him "cheap" and not understanding the player's value.

I think that's actually the argument against him, though. In past years, it would be a no-brainer, but now we have Hogan and Mitchell on the outside, with Gronk as the big RZ and downfield seam route target.

With Julian Edelman and a fairly affordable Amendola in the mix, where would Fitzgerald fit? I'm all for bringing him in and paying more money to the WR4 position if that's what Belichick feels is best, but I think the odds of that happening are pretty low. Just my opinion. I'd welcome my hometown hero Fitz with open arms.

We still have the RBs, too. Guys like Lewis and White certainly count as receiving options. Ultimately, it's all about whether BB feels his value would be here, but it's not easy envisioning how he'd immediately come in and be the highest paid WR in a closely knit and experienced corps.

I agree to some extent.

The most logical location for him to go if he wants to have a shot at a championship while still being on the field a reasonable amount of time is Green Bay.

That being said, it will be a question of money in the end. If he is fine signing a low contract like Long did this year and work in a rotational role then I see no reason to think why we wouldn't offer him the space. We have seen this year how fast you can be down to 3 healthy WRs. Who knows if Floyd actually agrees to a one year prove-it deal.

The only drawback would be the opportunity cost associated with a 1-2 year end-of-the-road player taking up a roster spot.

It would be an awesome opportunity for Mitchell to learn from one of the best.

These threads drive me crazy. Let the Grigsons of the world sign a 34-year-old wide receiver. When are people going to learn that this is not what the Patriots do?

Moves like this put the team back in terms of developing players for the future. Every snap Fitzgerald would take is one that Mitchell, or possibly Floyd, does not.

Think about what the Steven Jackson signing meant. Blount and Develin were out and the Pats were desperate. Signing the best big back around for the stretch made sense but resulted in nothing.

It's more than likely that Amendola will face stiff competition for his spot on the roster - maybe Edelman, too. The Patriots will bring in rookies and mid-career veterans to give them a run for their money next summer. The best outcome will be a guy or two that can give them five or six productive years. That's not Fitzgerald.

Fitzy cannot help in STs. DA can.

DA is still a 30-50 catch guy. They just don't need him to be.

That is DAs unappreciated value. He backs the team up in so many roles.

They claimed Floyd, so they are not comfortable with the depth at WR. And Fitz showing his age?
He has 98 catches for 949 yards and 5 TDs. And he has shown that he can do it all.

I'm not saying we should break the bank for him but if he'd be willing to sign a contract like Hogan, I'd be more than happy.

These threads drive me crazy. Let the Grigsons of the world sign a 34-year-old wide receiver. When are people going to learn that this is not what the Patriots do?

Moves like this put the team back in terms of developing players for the future. Every snap Fitzgerald would take is one that Mitchell, or possibly Floyd, does not.

Think about what the Steven Jackson signing meant. Blount and Develin were out and the Pats were desperate. Signing the best big back around for the stretch made sense but resulted in nothing.

It's more than likely that Amendola will face stiff competition for his spot on the roster - maybe Edelman, too. The Patriots will bring in rookies and mid-career veterans to give them a run for their money next summer. The best outcome will be a guy or two that can give them five or six productive years. That's not Fitzgerald.

You are ignoring that Reggie Wayne was roaming around Foxboro for a few weeks. It all boils down to the question whether there is value (i.e. money) relative to the envisioned role for a player.

No FA WR's, please.

The only "young WR" we have is Mitchell.

Do this through the draft and let's give Lucien and Floyd (he's damaged goods and won't demand as much as his field play is worth) a good look in TC.

You are ignoring that Reggie Wayne was roaming around Foxboro for a few weeks. It all boils down to the question whether there is value (i.e. money) relative to the envisioned role for a player.

Reggie Wayne is another good example of somebody they kicked the tires on but didn't work out. In Wayne's case, as I read it, he didn't want to put in the work and didn't see how he was going to adapt to the Patriots' read-and-react route tree.

Malcolm Mitchell is such a huge find for this team. So far, it looks like he completely gets it, and Brady trusts him on 3rd down. We though Kenbrell Thompkins might have been that guy, but he wasn't. I hope Floyd can find a fit given that he's a Charlie Weis product from Notre Dame. Floyd's only 27 and has lots of years left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News