PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017-18 LB Group evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberts is very cheap and will be a camp body. Hopefully, they can get to terms with Harrison, yes. He may be even better with a full camp in front of him.

But, doesn't hurt to have Roberts take reps in camp before being cut for a better player they can hopefully grab in this draft.

Roberts sucks

They have him playing too much situationally. Hes a downhill thumper and when his role is expanded it leads to problems.

he's 230lb ..... not much of a thumper

his real problem is that his speed (4.5-4.6) does not translate to football....crappy coverage.....he's like a slow safety...oh geez, we already have one of those (Richards/4.65)

David Harris retired.

If true, then it's a shame that Harris had to spend the last game of his career on the sidelines watching Elandon Roberts disgrace the position he helped define over the past decade.

I heard that was because Harris had left his walking cane on the bus and didn't have time to hobble back for it.

he's 230lb ..... not much of a thumper

his real problem is that his speed (4.5-4.6) does not translate to football....crappy coverage.....he's like a slow safety...oh geez, we already have one of those (Richards/4.65)
He plays with very good leverage downhill. Not to compare him with Singletary but he was also on the smaller side.

4.5 speed is fine for a coverage LB.

He just sucks at it

He plays with very good leverage downhill. Not to compare him with Singletary but he was also on the smaller side.

4.5 speed is fine for a coverage LB.

He just sucks at it

So far.

Roberts just complete his sophomore season, and he was really raw coming out of Houston as a 6th-rounder in 2016. There's still time for him to become a more reliable complementary contributor in a more limited role than what he (of necessity) played in 2017.

So far.

Roberts just complete his sophomore season, and he was really raw coming out of Houston as a 6th-rounder in 2016. There's still time for him to become a more reliable complementary contributor in a more limited role than what he (of necessity) played in 2017.
I hate his instincts beyond the LoS

I don’t, go younger and more athletic.

Again, it's the 90-man off-season/Camp roster we're working on right now. Harrison can be cheap insurance and a living blueprint for how the Pats want younger, more athletic OLBs to play the game.

Again, it's the 90-man off-season/Camp roster we're working on right now. Harrison can be cheap insurance and a living blueprint for how the Pats want younger, more athletic OLBs to play the game.

To me he’s done, it would be like carrying Steven Jackson into the next season just for a veteran presence. I would rather have a UDFA prospect take that roster spot.

To me he’s done, it would be like carrying Steven Jackson into the next season just for a veteran presence. I would rather have a UDFA prospect take that roster spot.

To learn from all the other experienced, veteran OLBs on the roster.

Oh. Wait.

To learn from all the other experienced, veteran OLBs on the roster.

Oh. Wait.

You seem to view Harrison as a mentor, I don’t. I think they need more speed and athleticism, and I don’t want a roster spot used on a guy who I think is washed up.

You seem to view Harrison as a mentor, I don’t. I think they need more speed and athleticism, and I don’t want a roster spot used on a guy who I think is washed up.

Harrison is too "washed up" to handle another off-season on the Pats roster? We'll just need to disagree about that.

Meanwhile, if McClellin doesn't make it back to this off-season's 90-roster, here are the NFL-career defensive snaps counts of the remaining "LBs" (liberally-defined) on the Pats roster for 2018:

3,843 = Hightower (only back thru 2012)
1,364 = Van Noy = 959 (Pats) + 405 (DET)
..829 = Roberts
..355 = M. Flowers = 283 (Pats) + 72 (CIN)
..281 = Lee
...14 = Grigsby
....6 = Langi
....0 = Rivers

Merely adding more raw speed and athleticism to the off-season roster has much less chance of "fixing" anything by the start of the 2018 regular season if it's not leavened/balanced with some significant experience.

Harrison doesn't need to directly "mentor" anyone, and it doesn't matter if he's slow in OTAs or Camp. He just needs to be a demonstration example for how it's done. Leaving him off the 90-man roster just to squeeze in one more raw UDFA seems kinda self-defeating to me.

Maybe you think its ok to post a pic of his AK47 on Instagram during the playoffs but I'm pretty sure Belichick doesn't like the distraction, or any distraction for that matter.

I'm anti AK-47s, full disclosure. I'm not a gun guy. But honestly, how long do you think it took to post an Instagram photo? He got so caught up in posting this photo that it distracted him from preparing for the game?

The whole "Belichick at the Timberwolves game" distraction theory was nonsense enough -- at least that was a few hours of his time. Posting that photo probably took Harrison ten minutes max.

If you don't like him as a dude, that's understandable. If you don't like him as a player, that's understandable. But this distraction take, I don't understand. I'd bring him to camp and see what he has left, he won't cost anything

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey