PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: I am amazed at how many NFL fans think the NFL is rigged

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I should clarify that the people who bother to post on message boards such as our own are a small sample of all American NFL fans. But I am often stunned at how many fans talk about how "it's in the script" whatever. Such utter foolishness to think any sport could be fully "orchestrated" in such a manner. Ultimately it really is just a few crazies.

I think selection bias is partly to blame. It's easier to remember the close calls and stuff that go against your team compared to the ones that go your way. Add it up together for years and fail to examine your assumptions anywhere near enough (you know, like a fan, which is short for fanatic) and the result is an ever growing mound of "evidence" that the league doesn't like your team in particular and rigs things against it.

Now of course in our case, the fact that the commissioner plainly DOESN'T like our team and claerly HAS rigged things against it, doesn't help matters lol.

I think selection bias is partly to blame. It's easier to remember the close calls and stuff that go against your team compared to the ones that go your way. Add it up together for years and fail to examine your assumptions anywhere near enough (you know, like a fan, which is short for fanatic) and the result is an ever growing mound of "evidence" that the league doesn't like your team in particular and rigs things against it.

Now of course in our case, the fact that the commissioner plainly DOESN'T like our team and claerly HAS rigged things against it, doesn't help matters lol.
I think the past decade plus of very suspect work by the competition committee and commissioner has damaged the brand. I know it has in my eyes.

I don't think games are rigged or scripted, but I have little doubt that the front office uses their power to put their thumb on the scale. Honestly I think the refs do an admirable job given the corrupt clowns they answer to.

I think the past decade plus of very suspect work by the competition committee and commissioner has damaged the brand. I know it has in my eyes.

I don't think games are rigged or scripted, but I have little doubt that the front office uses their power to put their thumb on the scale. Honestly I think the refs do an admirable job given the corrupt clowns they answer to.
Well... Can you give an example of how they put the thumb on the scale? I'm not saying that the NFL office has not done a crappy job, I agree with that. But what do you mean by putting their "thumb on the scale"? Like the Brady suspension or something? If so they are working against the Pats not for us.

The Denver board is astounding to me about talking about how rigged it is.

Thumb on the scale is a great way to describe it. Well-done and, obviously, I agree with you. Someone here earlier this week wrote something to the effect that the Commissioner and league office tried to fix the outcome of this past season, which is essentially what you're saying and that poster was correct, also.

I'm baffled by people who tell me the league WANTS to see the Pats win. WTF? If the league is "rigged" it's 100% rigged AGAINST the Pats. The amount of draft picks stolen between 2008 + 2016/2017 along with the ridiculously extreme suspension of Brady proves to me that the league is doing everything it can to make sure the Pats DON'T win.

Thumb on the scale is a great way to describe it. Well-done and, obviously, I agree with you. Someone here earlier this week wrote something to the effect that the Commissioner and league office tried to fix the outcome of this past season, which is essentially what you're saying and that poster was correct, also.
What? So you mean the Brady suspension was meant to affect the Pats not winning a Super Bowl this year?

I'm baffled by people who tell me the league WANTS to see the Pats win. WTF? If the league is "rigged" it's 100% rigged AGAINST the Pats. The amount of draft picks stolen between 2008 + 2016/2017 along with the ridiculously extreme suspension of Brady proves to me that the league is doing everything it can to make sure the Pats DON'T win.
I'm going on record in saying that there is nothing, whatsoever, 0%, "rigged" from a league and team level stand point in sports. Rare examples are shame outliers (Black Sox, some ref on the take, point shaving, etc)

It is the same thing as saying we didn't land on the moon.

Well... Can you give an example of how they put the thumb on the scale? I'm not saying that the NFL office has not done a crappy job, I agree with that. But what do you mean by putting their "thumb on the scale"? Like the Brady suspension or something? If so they are working against the Pats not for us.

The Denver board is astounding to me about talking about how rigged it is.
The Brady suspension, the Saints punishment, the Chiefs punishment, the non punishments for the Giants, Falcons, Seahawks, Jets, and Steelers. Changing the ref grading from being merit based to being opinion based. Year after year of changing rules to target the Patriots. I'm sure there's stuff under the surface we can't see.

There were a fair amount of people on here last year that thought things were rigged so Manning can win. I do get a laugh about people thinking things were rigged when Fox had the graphic on the screen in overtime saying the Patriots win with a touchdown, that's just plain stupidity...

The Brady suspension, the Saints punishment, the Chiefs punishment, the non punishments for the Giants, Falcons, Seahawks, Jets, and Steelers. Changing the ref grading from being merit based to being opinion based. Year after year of changing rules to target the Patriots. I'm sure there's stuff under the surface we can't see.
OK. But nothing is fixed or rigged though. All those things could be true and be examples of unfair treatment, but it does not mean anything is rigged in any way or scripted. (I'm not saying that is what you are saying, I just to be clear what I mean)

It's quite easy to understand for even a simple Jet's or dare I even say Steeler's, Bronco's or Raven's fan.

When the Pats squeeze a win out of the Seahawks and Falcons, it is clearly rigged.

However, when the Giants sneak by the Pat's twice it is not rigged.

There were a fair amount of people on here last year that thought things were rigged so Manning can win. I do get a laugh about people thinking things were rigged when Fox had the graphic on the screen in overtime saying the Patriots win with a touchdown, that's just plain stupidity...
that is laughable. stupid people lol

It's quite easy to understand for even a simple Jet's or dare I even say Steeler's, Bronco's or Raven's fan.

When the Pats squeeze a win out of the Seahawks and Falcons, it is clearly rigged.

However, when the Giants sneak by the Pat's twice it is not rigged.
exactly. You know how many times Tyree, Eli, and Rodney had to rehearse that helmet catch before they had it down too.. a lot

Most (all?) of the morons arguing that SB51 was rigged are saying that the Falcons were in on it..

There are really no bad calls that they can point to which helped out New England. Their primary "evidence" is the bad play calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back