PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Have the Chiefs lost their swag?

KC can't stop the run.

No AFC QB's are better than Mahomes.

But your point about defense is valid.

I expect the defense to improve.
This is simply providing context from years of experience on both sides of great QB teams.

Payton Manning had by far the greatest weapons, but so too had to be perfect because that imbalance weakened other areas of the team significantly in the salary cap era.

Brady also had a gap in-between the two SB runs that was littered with examples of showing how much of the team game is highlighted by the playoffs. Whether it was poor OL, defense that couldn't stop the run, or other concerns as good as he is there are too many variables - football aint golf.

It tends to be the well-rounded teams AND good to great QB play that takes the title.

Walrus Andy is absolutely a HoF coach. Too many reg season wins and the SB win last year sealed it.
I think they’ll both be first ballot when it is all said and done. Mahomes has caught Russell Wilson Syndrome, though. He’s too concerned with trying to play sandlot ball and running all over the backfield so he can uncork one to Hill when, many times, he can simply climb the pocket. Like Wilson, it’s spectacular to watch when it works. It can also be a hindrance, though.

In all likelihood, Baltimore or Buffalo are probably KCs biggest threats. I think AFC you have mahomes, a big gap, then Josh Allen. Derek Carr is playing well, I'd throw him up there.

Even if KC has lost its swagger, so to speak, there are only two legit teams challenging them in the AFC right now (Oakland TBD).

NFC? They aren't beating Tampa or LAR.

Were they? The Ravens were so injured and opened the game with a gift pick six. I really thought KC was going to roll them.

Yeah They probably should have rolled them, but wasn’t their night. Still need to see a lot more before changing my view on kc though.

Their offense is just as insane as it ever was. Their defense looks suspect. All I know is it's only been 2 games, and Super Bowl winning teams have looked worse after 2 games in the past.

It seems Clyde Edwards-Helaire is their Sony Michel in that all their fans do is complain about him being a bust despite reasonable production.
It’s not that CEH is a bad player but when your offense is already that dynamic and your defense is a sieve those early picks need to be used to shore up the D.

If the Superbowl hangover was a real thing then explain how the Bills went to 4 straight Superbowls and lost everyone of them?
Because the AFC at the time was pathetic. The 3 best teams in the NFL were in the NFC and the NFCCG was the real Super Bowl.
That happened in the middle of a stretch where the NFC won 15 of 16 Super Bowls, 13 of which were won by Washington, NY, Dallas or SF.

We've been in situations where we've dug out of holes (2019 postseason & NE playoff game). We've been to two SB's. Got one win. So we've got experience.

We've got leadership and one of the best coaches.

Which AFC QB is better than Mahomes? And which team is flawless? No such team exists in this league.

The Chiefs are very flawed, but that doesn't mean they're not the best team in the AFC. I'm not sure if you saw a long post I wrote to you last week, but my question was whether you thought they spent wisely this offseason. I argued their defense has many huge problems, and they could have upgraded it from a C- to a B- by bringing in some difference makers. Rather, they upgraded their offensive line and perhaps upgraded their offense overall from an A- to an A. I didn't think they needed Thuney (broke the bank) or Brown (who will break the bank soon), as they just needed to upgrade horrendous, practice squad level tackles with average ones and focus on depth.

I think the first two games of the season confirm some of my criticism. I still think they'll win 13 games this year, but this stuff will make a bigger difference in the postseason when they're playing against the best competition with more tailored gameplans. That defense just lacks enough good players to actually be good; the only way to fix it is by the offense scoring tons of points, winning field position, and forcing other offenses to go into a one-dimensional pass only mode. And they've been able to do that in the past, but it's not a long-term sustainable strategy. The Chiefs have been pretty lucky that all of their superstars have stayed healthy, else that formula will break.

it's very difficult to sustain dominance in the NFL year after year, which is why we are so lucky as fans. Looking back over the last 20 years or so, what happened to the Rams Dynasty? Why was there never a Seahawks Dynasty? A Colts Dynasty? An Eagles (snicker) Dynasty? A Giants Dynasty? A Packers Dynasty? A Saints Dynasty? These were all teams that had visions of sustained greatness. The "Dynasty book" is still out on Mahomes and the Chiefs...I'm not writing them off just yet. But I have a lot more respect for the Dilfer Ravens, who knew they were lucky and never pretended to be a team of destiny, than I do for a lot of those wannabes.

Why can't the Chiefs beat TB or LAR in the SB? We've seen explosive offenses beat great defenses before.

NE over Seattle

KC over SF

By no means are those two teams a clear step above the Chiefs.

Also, can we talk about how BAD this interception was by Mahomes? Up 11 and he lets the Ravens back in with this Mayfield type throw, maybe worse. I thought he said he was going to stop doing this type of stuff and play more efficiently?

Reading his press clippings too much.

Did people think that the Chiefs would never lose in September under Mahomes, or something?

Their offense is actually just Mahomes and Tyreek. No one can really stop this duo. If you put 2 or 3 guys on Tyreek, then wide open spaces on the field are available for receiver #2 and Kelce. Tyreek is a freak and Mahomes is great, but I wonder about Mahomes when he loses Tyreek. If suddenly the spaces on the field tighten, then what?

That defense can easily come together as defenses often do, but the problems usually show up in the playoffs.

Regardless, KC is vulnerable. The Ravens are not that great.
They sure took Hill out of the game last night.

I think they’ll both be first ballot when it is all said and done. Mahomes has caught Russell Wilson Syndrome, though. He’s too concerned with trying to play sandlot ball and running all over the backfield so he can uncork one to Hill when, many times, he can simply climb the pocket. Like Wilson, it’s spectacular to watch when it works. It can also be a hindrance, though.
I was thinking Wilson myself but for different reasons. These guys like Mahomes and WIlson hit the ground running with a great defense, supporting cast and depth. Those early years in Seattle they had pro bowlers on the bench as backups on defense. They were kinda like the 98 Yankees. Then they had to pay him and suddenly the team is not elite on the defensive side of the ball and your depth is eroded.

If the Chiefs lose Hill or Kelce for any significant amount of time its season over. They won't be able to score enough to overcome that defense. A defense that I thought was below average two weeks ago and now thinking they are teetering on borderline sucking. Definitely bottom 10 in the league.

Why can't the Chiefs beat TB or LAR in the SB? We've seen explosive offenses beat great defenses before.

NE over Seattle

KC over SF

By no means are those two teams a clear step above the Chiefs.

The point spread would likely have the Chiefs favored against any other team; maybe a very slight underdog to Tampa Bay. Of course they're capable of beating any team in the league. I just think they've misplayed how to build a team around Mahomes-Hill-Kelce and they could be head and shoulders above anyone else (except the Bucs, but that's an entirely different situation in how they've build that roster.)

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back