PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Have the Chiefs lost their swag?

The point spread would likely have the Chiefs favored against any other team; maybe a very slight underdog to Tampa Bay. Of course they're capable of beating any team in the league. I just think they've misplayed how to build a team around Mahomes-Hill-Kelce and they could be head and shoulders above anyone else (except the Bucs, but that's an entirely different situation in how they've build that roster.)
To be fair, Kelce is the best TE in football currently. Hill is the best receiver by far.

I can't blame them for going with the strategy they did.

To be fair, Kelce is the best TE in football currently. Hill is the best receiver by far.

No he isn't. He's a jacked up WR and only half a TE. Gronk is a thousand times the player he is.

They really need to find a way to run the ball better. CEH looks like a JAG. The constant throwing will look good during the regular season, but some team in the playoffs that can match up with them in the passing game will haunt them.

Best at what, receiving yards?

Two weeks in gronk looks like the best TE in football again. Oh, and he's a vastly superior blocker.

No he isn't. He's a jacked up WR and only half a TE. Gronk is a thousand times the player he is.
I mean overall the past few years he's been the best.

Hill is clearly superior to Julio, Diggs, Evans, Adams etc.

No...that's the opposite of what I'm saying. I'm saying those two are great. Signing them and building around them is a great starting point. It's how they've filled out the roster around their superstar trio of Mahomes-Kelce-Hill that's where I think they're missing the boat.

Up until last year, they were paying Watkins an ungodly amount of money. You simply don't need to pay a #2 receiver that much when you already have Hill and Kelce creating so many mismatches and so much spacing for everyone else. That's where you find a bunch of solid, inexpensive veterans to get plenty of catches.

I think it's the same thing with the offensive line. The Super Bowl was a perfect storm disaster, and the overreaction level is high. The team didn't need to spend $18M per year on Thuney. They've been fine with competent linemen. They didn't need to trade for Brown, who they'll soon have to overpay. They just need to ensure there's depth and at least average play from these guys.

Meanwhile, on defense, what a **** show. And that's my whole point about allotting their money in the wrong places. They don't have Mahomes-Kelce-Hill on defense, or some superstar trio that will automatically make them a top unit and make everyone else better. They just have a ton of holes and no way to fix them other than by re-allocating the offense's money to bring in top level players on defense. If Mathieu or Jones goes down, they may have the worst defense in the league, and that's not an exaggeration. Even with those two, they're at best a bend-don't-break.

No...that's the opposite of what I'm saying. I'm saying those two are great. Signing them and building around them is a great starting point. It's how they've filled out the roster around their superstar trio of Mahomes-Kelce-Hill that's where I think they're missing the boat.

Up until last year, they were paying Watkins an ungodly amount of money. You simply don't need to pay a #2 receiver that much when you already have Hill and Kelce creating so many mismatches and so much spacing for everyone else. That's where you find a bunch of solid, inexpensive veterans to get plenty of catches.

I think it's the same thing with the offensive line. The Super Bowl was a perfect storm disaster, and the overreaction level is high. The team didn't need to spend $18M per year on Thuney. They've been fine with competent linemen. They didn't need to trade for Brown, who they'll soon have to overpay. They just need to ensure there's depth and at least average play from these guys.

Meanwhile, on defense, what a **** show. And that's my whole point about allotting their money in the wrong places. They don't have Mahomes-Kelce-Hill on defense, or some superstar trio that will automatically make them a top unit and make everyone else better. They just have a ton of holes and no way to fix them other than by re-allocating the offense's money to bring in top level players on defense. If Mathieu or Jones goes down, they may have the worst defense in the league, and that's not an exaggeration.
I agree on the defense.

Chris Jones is great. Um....otherwise it gets shaky.

Honestly, as long as Mahomes has sufficient protection, KC can win the SB. Let’s not let one game/envy allow us to kid ourselves. Will they win? Now that’s a completely different discussion that nobody has the answer to.

Last edited:
They got caught up in talking undefeated season. They don't have the coaching staff to real them back in.

I agree on the defense.

Chris Jones is great. Um....otherwise it gets shaky.
I don't get why they moved him to a 3-4 I had him diagnosed as a Pats 3-4 DE in the draft that year. I knew he'd be good. He has that length and size that's hard to get, besides finding a 3-4 NT, which is why so many teams don't bother running any 3-4. It's hard to get.

Anyway, he's by far and away your best player. Your issue is, Veach has overpaid all of your players, regardless of how good they are. That's why Mathieu, who is good (but overpaid by at least 4 million a year), is asking for another deal, but doesn't have one. He's gone.

Honestly, as long as Mahomes has sufficient protection, KC can will the SB. Let’s not let one game/envy allow us to kid ourselves. Will they win? Now that’s a completely different discussion that nobody has the answer to.
I don't do bets.

But I'm willing to negotiate a friendly wager they do indeed win the SB on Feb 13th, 2022.

Yeah, his blocking is next level as that KC running game is as feared as the passing game.

He's is a top 10 WR...in a TEs body.
They don't need him to block though.

Mahomes gets it out so quick.

You think Kelce spending his day blocking would've won that game?

No way.
I think you need to bring better arguments to the table. And I also think that trying to move the goalposts is something that no Mahomes fan should have to do. If you find yourself doing that, as you did here, you should just concede the minor point and move on. Mahomes is good enough that he can be allowed his imperfections.

I think you need to bring better arguments to the table. And I also think that trying to move the goalposts is something that no Mahomes fan should have to do. If you find yourself doing that, as you did here, you should just concede the minor point and move on. Mahomes is good enough that he can be allowed his imperfections.
Kelce sucks at blocking.

Everyone knows it.

There

We've been in situations where we've dug out of holes (2019 postseason & NE playoff game). We've been to two SB's. Got one win. So we've got experience.

We've got leadership and one of the best coaches.

Which AFC QB is better than Mahomes? And which team is flawless? No such team exists in this league.
I don't love the leadership to be honest. I mean, you have immature Hill, Mathieu, Kelce likes to run his mouth with Jones predicting "6 or 7 Super Bowls", etc.

I also think, for whatever reason, they looked past TB last year in the SB just assuming they'd win. We've seen this before, is all I am saying. A lot of teams have been 1 year "dynasties" the last decade or so.

I do have mad respect for Mahomes, Reid, etc, and I love Jones's game, but I think you're in trouble a bit after this year. Your LT isn't that good which is why Baltimore didn't want to pay him (not that they could with the Lamar Problem hanging), you overpaid in crazy fashion for Thuney as much I loved him while here, and waited to pay all the players whether it be Hill, Jones, etc. And, Veach traded picks for Clark and Clark is overpaid. So, you're all in and you're 1-1 in SBs and honestly, Mahomes wasn't good in either one.

When his salary goes up more next year, it will be a problem. Buffalo has that issue now, Baltimore probably will as will Cleveland. The latter two may be scared you know what to do it. As great as Mahomes is, 40 million per year is really dumb.

IMO, the AFC has a lot of competition with KC, Cleveland, Buffalo, NE, Pitt, Baltimore, etc. Our team is on the front of a build here early in the season and has a lot of work to do, but you saw what the Pats D did last year with no offense vs your team. BB has KC's number in terms of slowing them down. He did it in 2019, too, where the zebras got involved in the 4th, but they totally outplayed KC in the 4th in that game.

There are a lot of teams that can go toe to toe with yours, so it's not a slam dunk that your run just automatically continues. And, believe me, we know how crappy it is to lose a game with a fumble at the end like that. It's a killer.

Agree, Mahomes is clearly the best QB and all teams have a flaw or two (or more).

If the Superbowl hangover was a real thing then explain how the Bills went to 4 straight Superbowls and lost everyone of them?

Teams can quickly go from being good to mediocre in the salary cap era.
Weak conference. I mean, they used to get cupcakes like the Raiders and teams like that. Denver with Elway and the pre cap cheating Broncos or even the Chiefs with Dave Krieg under Center.

That's why it happened and why they got waxxed by the Skins and Dallas. The NFC was superior by a wide margin at that point.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back