PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Gilmore still complaining about how the Pats treated his recovery

I personally never cared for his antics, and didn’t find the “lovable meathead” thing funny, or endearing. Not a “prototypal patriot”. Find his smile goofy, and his spike celebration lame. Goat at the position tho. Diva as hell.
Right, all those 'diva' things Gronk did like...uh...um...one second, I'm sure I'll think of something.

IMHO Gronk was no diva. He was goofy and fun, and BB let him roll with it, as much as BB would. But I do think Gronk yearned for a less structured environment, and Brady beckoning him to Tampa was something he loved the idea of, especially with that coach. I wish Gronk hadn't left in the manner that he did, but he was a great player for us, and I loved rooting for him.

Maybe 'diva' is the wrong word, but the "Gronk Nation" bit with his family intervening in his affairs, challenging team decisions, and publicly discussing Rob's medical status in contrary terms to the team's was ... off-putting at least.

Not gonna bite on that one bud
Good point, you're the one making the claim why should you be the one to back it up. What is this 1984?!

Diva behavior is demanding the ball, or not caring about practice, or not wanting to hit someone because you might get hurt. Divas care more about their brand and their stats than the team.

Gronk aside, you might want to work on learning to not hate everyone who moves on from this team.

IMHO Gronk was no diva. He was goofy and fun, and BB let him roll with it, as much as BB would. But I do think Gronk yearned for a less structured environment, and Brady beckoning him to Tampa was something he loved the idea of, especially with that coach. I wish Gronk hadn't left in the manner that he did, but he was a great player for us, and I loved rooting for him.
I agree. He wasn't a diva. He was unselfish and busted his ass here.

He just got burnt out.

Didn't Belichick do Gilmore a favor by trading him to the team that plays close to where his extended family is, and where he grew up? I took that as a favor from the GM/coach to the player - it isn't going to work out here, so let's get you home.

It's great when the forum scientists, doctors, and now physical therapists come out. I always learn so much about this stuff at the football forum. Idk how you guys do it w/o actually seeing the players to evaluate their injuries or at least review their medical files and test reports.

I'm no professional athlete but I know that when I had PT for a torn rotator cuff, it was hard, painful work just to lift my arm above my head. The rehab was long and slow but it worked.

Personally, having no other information, take these athletes at their word. Gilly never seemed like a snake that would lie about stuff like this. He was always the anti-diva.

He helped the team a lot and I wish him well in his future endeavors wherever that might be.

He isn’t making any more money in Carolina. Originally it was about money. Now it’s about spite, it seems.
Carolina has cap space galore right now, I'm sure there is a quid pro quo offer there if Gilmore can prove he's healthy to give him a contract that the Pats had zero inclination to match.

He just got burnt out.
I don’t think he meant diva on the field. I think he meant his off-the-field antics like the WWE stuff, the party bus and the Gronk experience event in Florida.

I don’t think he meant diva on the field. I think he meant his off-the-field antics like the WWE stuff, the party bus and the Gronk experience event in Florida.
I don't see that as diva activity. That's just pure goofiness.

Then only time he came close to diva was that weird press conference/ Monster energy drink thing.

Didn't Belichick do Gilmore a favor by trading him to the team that plays close to where his extended family is, and where he grew up? I took that as a favor from the GM/coach to the player - it isn't going to work out here, so let's get you home.
Let's not rush to give credit to Belichick...

Bills-coach-Sean-McDermott-wasnt-impressed-with-Bill-Belichick-after-758x505.jpg

Chose money over playing for a winning team. Couldn't care less about him at this point.

Oh man. Making your family and favorite causes less better off just because you want to have some more pleasure at work?

I don't think it was a favor, they realized he wouldn't adjust his contract and Carolina was probably the best for the pats.

He just got burnt out.

I think it had to do with (a) his contract, wanting to get a new deal instead of those one year incentive-laden deals, and (b) long-term tensions with the Patriots medical staff over rehabbing and returning too soon.

This counts for zero on a message board, but I have a family member who knows Gronkowski's father (he's in the gym/fitness equipment business.) These are the two things he griped about; I can't be sure Rob shared the same viewpoint, but clearly he had issues. And to your point, I think the burning out part may have to do with the fitness regiment/conditioning program and back to suspected injury causes. I'm sure Alex Guerrero and Brady's take on the workouts/long-term health stuff just added fuel to the fire.

I understand the team's perspective and the player's perspective. And I wish Brady/Gronk had a more trusted authority than Guerrero because I think there is a lot of validity to what they wanted to do in terms of load management.

But yes, anyone who says Gronk was a diva is totally warped. Gronk is one of the most unselfish superstars you'll find in sports. Just a genuinely nice person who never let fame and money get to his head. Never hesitated to be a decoy, or a blocker, or whatever gave the team the best chance to win.

I think it had to do with (a) his contract, wanting to get a new deal instead of those one year incentive-laden deals, and (b) long-term tensions with the Patriots medical staff over rehabbing and returning too soon.

This counts for zero on a message board, but I have a family member who knows Gronkowski's father (he's in the gym/fitness equipment business.) These are the two things he griped about; I can't be sure Rob shared the same viewpoint, but clearly he had issues. And to your point, I think the burning out part may have to do with the fitness regiment/conditioning program and back to suspected injury causes. I'm sure Alex Guerrero and Brady's take on the workouts/long-term health stuff just added fuel to the fire.

I understand the team's perspective and the player's perspective. And I wish Brady/Gronk had a more trusted authority than Guerrero because I think there is a lot of validity to what they wanted to do in terms of load management.

But yes, anyone who says Gronk was a diva is totally warped. Gronk is one of the most unselfish superstars you'll find in sports. Just a genuinely nice person who never let fame and money get to his head. Never hesitated to be a decoy, or a blocker, or whatever gave the team the best chance to win.
Agree 100%. I think the treatment of his arm issue back in 2012 was the catalyst of medical mistrust between Camp Gronk (inc Gronk) and the team.

For many reasons at the end, I do believe Gronk was trying to shoot his way out of town. Contract, burn out, etc. He just had enough of BB and the program.

With that said I do think BB was going to move on from Gronk after the 2018 season so Gronk decided to retire. He was physically and mentally cooked. Additionally he didn't want the indignity of bring traded or cut.

But diva? No.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back