OT: First bill for NFL Sunday Ticket came today

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasmlab

Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I just paid my first $50~ bill of six installments for DirecTV's Sunday ticket. Man do I hate this bill. $300 for the year on top of DirecTV service which I only watch for football games (broadcast and cable TV really sucks. Commercials: Really?)

With Brady leaving, we have no idea what kind of football 'product' were going to get out of Cam or Stid throwing to Sanu and Harry. Then those starters all opting out. Who are our linebackers again?

And then the season might get cancelled, shortened or something. Or we'll watch games with cardboard cut out fans and fake crowd noise. Does Buffalo still sound that awful steam horn when the opposing QBs are setting up, or does that become fake too?

The execs at DirecTV have to be sweating bullets. Huge people are cord cutters or want to be, but for me, I stay on for Sunday Ticket. When is it not worth it?

This could be enough disruption for DirecTV to either fail or have to give up its monopoly license arrangement it's had for 30 years. Then we could get something new. Amazon maybe. Or maybe the license won't be owned by a single company.

Of course, the reins are only so tight, I'm guessing, because of local auto dealers and employment lawyers who advertise locally during the game. They don't want to pay to have their ads go nationally. They could figure this out, though.

This could be an unexpected benefit of Covid19. Maybe.

(mods: apologies if this is the wrong forum for this post)

I'll probably renew. I do it primarily for gambling purposes. I hate when a $500 bet comes down to the final moments of the game and I am there watching the GameCenter summary. I want to know right away that I've lost that bet, d%#*!@t!!

i call them (Directv) every year and try to drop Sunday Ticket and every year they discount the price.

Thanks for reminding me. I had been a Sunday ticker customer since 1997, when I moved out of New England. I quit Directv right after SB 53, I was tired to their poor service. I don't miss the $2K I gave them every year. Streaming works...

I left DirecTV in January with plans to go to the bar in 2020.

And I just had DirecTV reinstalled....with Sunday Ticket for FREE (Genie receiver too).

Also, DirecTV is selling Sunday Ticket as an APP in 29 SELECT MARKETS. See link: Sunday Ticket: Why Is DIRECTV Selling to Non-Subscribers? - The TV Answer Man!

I did not go the app route because ST is free for me this year and it is easier to just get DirecTV which also gives me NBC (I cannot get this via antenna in my hood), CBS, FOX, Red Zone Channel, and NFL Network all in one package for $75 a month ($65 a month plus $10 regional sports fees for Lakers/Clippers B.S.).

Next season, I will be doing the DirecTV app and probably YouTube TV.....but need a way to get Red Zone/NFL Network which isn't on YT TV.

Look into cutting the cord. Get a nice set up/box & make it a point to learn about it. Think of ur TV as a phone and ur DL apps on it to watch different sh¡t.

I'm not smart and figured a lot out for myself. You'd be surprised what you can get. Movies that haven't come yet. Old TV shows on a loop w/e you want to watch that stuff. Love the cartoons, Batman series.

I'd see if you have any friends irl to help you out. If not YT/Internet/Reddit probably have step by step tutorials.

It's absolutely worth looking into. Especially if ur tech savvy and know a little about that stuff.

I saw on my PS4 that they have a SUNDAY TICKET APP

I have youtube-tv... and for the past r years have bought the international version of league pass which includes all the games live. I simply use a VPN. I even figured out a way to stream a different game to each of my 6 tvs on my game wall...that's a bit more complicated but where their is a will there is a way.

Either way a VPN aprox 150 bucks and you have Sunday ticket plus league pass.

$99 for NFL Gamepass.

Last year the noon games were available almost immediately after they finished. No commercials.

Just make sure to disable notifications on your phone so you don't get spoilers and you are good to go.

Cable/satellite is a rip off and it's a matter of time before they lower their prices/offer customized packages to keep up with the streaming services. People pay for many channels they never watch.

I only watch for live sports. The rest, I'm watching movies on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc.

Hmmm...$300 per year and Tom Brady is no longer with the Patriots. I think I remember in 2015 coming up with how much I'd be willing to pay to the NYJFL when this happens.

TYp3S.gif

Look into cutting the cord. Get a nice set up/box & make it a point to learn about it.

Cant agree more. Everything over IP (incl. mobile) and a good rooftop antenna and I get more than I need at thousands of dollars less including every Pats game.

I cannot wait until DirecTV loses control of Sunday Ticket.

I cannot wait until DirecTV loses control of Sunday Ticket.
It amazes me they are allowed to do what they do. If the whole thing was brand new, it would never be allowed. But since it has been this way for something like 30 years, it keeps going.

I haven't had DTV for years. I typically go to the bar or watch at home when the Pats are on national or local TV. Some seasons that was quite a few games. I will also listen to 1-2 games on SXM satellite radio each season while I work or drive home from a ski weekend out of town.

This season however was probably going to be heavy with the bar/sports bar viewing. Watching both the Pats and Bucs every Sunday.

Now with COVID I am probably NOT headed to the bar. I will not pay for DTV either.

Not sure what will happen? Maybe SXM radio or no NFL??!!

2020 has not been fun...

I left DirecTV in January with plans to go to the bar in 2020.

And I just had DirecTV reinstalled....with Sunday Ticket for FREE (Genie receiver too).

Also, DirecTV is selling Sunday Ticket as an APP in 29 SELECT MARKETS. See link: Sunday Ticket: Why Is DIRECTV Selling to Non-Subscribers? - The TV Answer Man!

I did not go the app route because ST is free for me this year and it is easier to just get DirecTV which also gives me NBC (I cannot get this via antenna in my hood), CBS, FOX, Red Zone Channel, and NFL Network all in one package for $75 a month ($65 a month plus $10 regional sports fees for Lakers/Clippers B.S.).

Next season, I will be doing the DirecTV app and probably YouTube TV.....but need a way to get Red Zone/NFL Network which isn't on YT TV.
I am moving before the season starts and going to go back to directv solely for the nfl package.
What is the genie?

It amazes me they are allowed to do what they do. If the whole thing was brand new, it would never be allowed. But since it has been this way for something like 30 years, it keeps going.
Cable TV companies are slowly eroding though.

The NFL has already talked about moving Sunday Ticket elsewhere. They really should. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I am moving before the season starts and going to go back to directv solely for the nfl package.
What is the genie?

Their best DVR/SetUpBox which allows you to view/download recorded shows on the go. Say, I am on the road...I can DVR the game and watch later. Or better yet, DVR the game then download it while at home to bring on a plane with you (can only download if u are on the same network, but can stream anywhere). I prefer downloading because I can fast forward/pause with my sliding finger easily.

Genie does many other things too, but the above is why I wanted it.

Their best DVR/SetUpBox which allows you to view/download recorded shows on the go. Say, I am on the road...I can DVR the game and watch later. Or better yet, DVR the game then download it while at home to bring on a plane with you (can only download if u are on the same network, but can stream anywhere). I prefer downloading because I can fast forward/pause with my sliding finger easily.

Genie does many other things too, but the above is why I wanted it.
Thanks. Are the boxes wireless?

Um....uh....I'm gonna say something. YOU will have to decide what to do. Amazon stick...everyone knows what that is right? Install the KODI app.Open KODI, go to sports tab...that's as far as I gonna go with you guys...it's ...ahem....well, let's just say it's a gray area legal wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back