PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: First bill for NFL Sunday Ticket came today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Are the boxes wireless?

Still needs the coaxial, power, and HDMI cables plugged in. Otherwise, you can connect wirelessly with your phone, tablet, and probably laptop (never tried this).

Look into cutting the cord. Get a nice set up/box & make it a point to learn about it. Think of ur TV as a phone and ur DL apps on it to watch different sh¡t.

I'm not smart and figured a lot out for myself. You'd be surprised what you can get. Movies that haven't come yet. Old TV shows on a loop w/e you want to watch that stuff. Love the cartoons, Batman series.

I'd see if you have any friends irl to help you out. If not YT/Internet/Reddit probably have step by step tutorials.

It's absolutely worth looking into. Especially if ur tech savvy and know a little about that stuff.
Um....uh....I'm gonna say something. YOU will have to decide what to do. Amazon stick...everyone knows what that is right? Install the KODI app.Open KODI, go to sports tab...that's as far as I gonna go with you guys...it's ...ahem....well, let's just say it's a gray area legal wise.
Yes

Cable TV companies are slowly eroding though.

The NFL has already talked about moving Sunday Ticket elsewhere. They really should. I would buy it in a heartbeat.
The NFL will move it - or keep it where it is - based purely on who the high bidder is. However, given what is going on in the world of satellite TV, AT&T/DirecTV may find themselves outbid.

Thanks. Are the boxes wireless?
Main genie box hooks to power , tv and Directv dish coaxial. Other boxes just hook to power and tv if I recall.

Paying around $100.00 for NFL Game Pass is a lot better than getting gouged by DirecTv.

You have to wait until around 4:00 p.m. to watch the 1:00 p.m. Sunday games but I have no problem waiting.

Um....uh....I'm gonna say something. YOU will have to decide what to do. Amazon stick...everyone knows what that is right? Install the KODI app.Open KODI, go to sports tab...that's as far as I gonna go with you guys...it's ...ahem....well, let's just say it's a gray area legal wise.

Someone here (perhaps you) posted this advice a few years back. I bought a jail-broke Fire stick with Kodi on it, and while it had all kinds of interesting stuff, I could never get any football to reliably connect. I love the idea, though. Maybe I'll try again.

move to new england. that's what i did so i'd be able to stop streaming low quality games from some sports streaming site

Just make sure to use a VPN, with net neutrality abolished it is more important than ever to do anything like this over a VPN client

Paying around $100.00 for NFL Game Pass is a lot better than getting gouged by DirecTv.

You have to wait until around 4:00 p.m. to watch the 1:00 p.m. Sunday games but I have no problem waiting.
That's not called watching the games, that's called watching highlights from a game.

I would not be surprised if the status quo gets maintained on TV (streaming is another matter). Sunday Ticket is a loss-leader for AT&T/DirecTV to the tune of about a half a billion dollars. They do it because they know they have many subscribers (like me) who use DirecTV for that reason alone and would switch to cable (or cut the cord) if they lost Sunday Ticket.

So they pay more for Sunday Ticket than it is worth. Needless to say, the NFL likes that. While I would not be surprised to see the NFL have a streaming package for Sunday Ticket (potentially through Amazon or Facebook), I do not see Sunday Ticket abandoning TV completely. If DirecTV lost it - or, to be more precise, lost the exclusive rights - it would be made available through cable providers (and, presumably, the satellite companies). If I am not mistaken, that creates a situation where the NFL simply gets a certain amount of money for each subscriptions sold. No outlet is going to pay a premium for something that every outlet has.

Would the additional revenue by having more potential customers offset the premium DirecTV pays for the exclusive rights? Maybe, maybe not.... I'm sure the NFL has marketing analysts running those numbers as we speak.

That's not called watching the games, that's called watching highlights from a game.

Sorry Bucaroo...they replay the whole game just as it was broadcast on TV not just highlights.

Sorry Bucaroo...they replay the whole game just as it was broadcast on TV not just highlights.
If it's a replay taking place after the game is over, it's glorified highlights. I'll watch my sports live, TYVM.

I've had alot of luck lately, cough, cough, streaming the games. I used to have Direct TV and yes, by all means call to cancel the sunday ticket and they will drop the price for you. Think of it as haggling.

Looks like I'm stuck in DC again, which means the Redskins (YEs, I siad it!) and the Ravens, so I will be looking to the BWW or the interweb for Patriots action.

Comments:

1.) Streaming games on Kodi is unreliable even with VPN. The NFL has been more active in recent years in cutting off access online and I'd hate to have to switch to another stream mid-game. Not to mention that it is possible that lawyers will go after you in the future for retroactive $$$ loss..although extremely unlikely. Plus, there's the hassle of setting it all up....whereas DirecTV is only an ugly dish plus a bloated TV package attached to ST.

2.) There's a lawsuit against DirecTV's Sunday Ticket monopoly that has reached the Supreme Court....not sure what happened or whether the SCOTUS will even hear it.

3.) I am 95-99% sure Sunday Ticket will be made non-exclusive in the near future. And I am hoping that when that happens, they will break up the package even more into smaller tiers (e.g. Patriots games only) and better pricing.

4.) Game Pass, I'd go that route if I didn't live in the U.S. and wouldn't be watching games in real time. But man, that sucks...not knowing what's going on with the Pats in real time and avoiding ALL OF THE INTERNET at the same time. I don't just follow the Pats, but I am fantasy football and gambling heavy...and always need to keep on top of results for Sunday Games in real time. Also, being on the west coast...there is NOTHING AS GLORIOUS as a 10AM Pats game with breakfast, followed by 1-4PM Red Zone action and partial napping, walking the dog/cooking dinner between 4-5:25PM, Sunday Night Football, and then "The Walking Dead" after that.... with Game Pass...my schedule shifts by 3 hours that day and I can't be online either.

If it's a replay taking place after the game is over, it's glorified highlights. I'll watch my sports live, TYVM.

One of the greatest sports events in history took place on a delayed broadcast and no one in their right mind would say the 1980 USA Olympic hockey game vs the USSR was a glorified highlight.

Watch it "live" and pay DirecTv if you want. Game Pass is better...even more so if you can stay away from the score for three hours.

One of the greatest sports events in history took place on a delayed broadcast and no one in their right mind would say the 1980 USA Olympic hockey game vs the USSR was a glorified highlight.

Watch it "live" and pay DirecTv if you want. Game Pass is better...even more so if you can stay away from the score for three hours.

Also looking at the 2020 schedule 8/16 games are either Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, or 4:25 start. So you basically get half of the games live already.

You cannot possibly be drawing an analogy between today and 40 years ago.

Seriously.... if you have to reference events during the Carter administration to defend your thesis, I think you’ve really only managed to weaken it.

You cannot possibly be drawing an analogy between today and 40 years ago.

Seriously.... if you have to reference events during the Carter administration to defend your thesis, I think you’ve really only managed to weaken it.

Says the poster using an avatar image dating back to 1976 LOOOOL!

Whatever Bucky...If you're too weak to wait three hours then feel free to pay as much as you want. A full game is not a highlight or a glorified highlight so you were wrong from the beginning and now I'm done with you.

Says the poster using an avatar image dating back to 1976 LOOOOL!

Whatever Bucky...If you're too weak to wait three hours then feel free to pay as much as you want. A full game is not a highlight or a glorified highlight so you were wrong from the beginning and now I'm done with you.
If you think the desire to watch sports live instead of waiting 3 hours for a glorified highlights package is some sort of weakness, then you're really only showing your own insecurities.

What can I say.... I'm just consider myself fortunate in that spending the extra couple hundred dollars every 12 months is not the hardship for me that it seems to be for you.... obviously that amount of money is a tremendous burden for you.

When I see how incredibly dedicated you are to save yourself such a meager amount of money, I think "There but for the grace of God go I...."

Also looking at the 2020 schedule 8/16 games are either Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, or 4:25 start. So you basically get half of the games live already.

National games are a blessing of being a Patriots fan (although for how long now?).

That also means my DirecTV set up costs me $150 per game to watch.

My friends are all Lions fans. This year they have zero night games and one 4PM game. The only game broadcasting where we live will be Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back