PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins might be closing in on a deal for Deshaun Watson (edit: or not)

They didn’t want to take a shot on a QB with the #7 overall pick, huh? How is it that amateurs like you and I can identify their moronic thinking about wasting a lottery pick opportunity on a CB, when you have a bust you’re hoping will improve via magic? Now that I’ve heard the counter-argument about how “you can’t just use first round picks on QBs because what about the rest of the team!?!?” I see they’re looking now to pony up 2-3 first rounders for a QB embroiled in some serious **** and due $30M per year. These NFL guys really aren’t very bright…they’re blinded by arrogance.

If you’re not certain you have your long-term QB, and you have blue chip QB available, ****ing draft him. Get as many chances as you can.

Not a big fan of Watson. Big star but always falls short when he needs to get it done. Now, with this bad PR / bad legal situation / bad decision making / bad behaviour…. I’m glad NE has Mac.

We went from it was a done deal two weeks ago to it was a done deal if certain criteria happened last week to it ain't happening at all.

It never made any sense for a team to acquire Watson until this was resolved. There are just too many things that could happen. Watson could be completely vindicated to ending up in jail or anywhere in between. The Dolphins would have had been complete morons to make the trade without at least the civil cases not being settled. Obviously, the initial reports were overstated or the Dolphins realistically expected that Watson would settle all 22 cases by the trade deadline.

With the Dolphins, Eagles, and Giants with multiple high first round picks this year, there could be a bidding war before the draft next year assuming Watson doesn't veto two of the three teams.

what now for the texans?

I put the guy on a suspended list and start going after his money. Whats baffling is that they didn't do that from the beginning.

Break those guarantees for conduct detrimental. Next year is a 35 million dollar salary. Get some leverage over him via forfeiture. Trade him out of the division - too bad if he doesnt like it. He no longer has to work.

Wonder how long it will take watson to figure out that it's fairly difficult to find jobs that pay upwards of 35 million a year when the Texans still hold your rights...

Florio harping that the teams were very close, but then it appeared Watson might settle, so the Texans kept increasing the price. It would be great if the legal stuff takes a turn for the worst and the Texans get stuck with him. Caserio picking up right where he left off as a buffoon.

Florio harping that the teams were very close, but then it appeared Watson might settle, so the Texans kept increasing the price. It would be great if the legal stuff takes a turn for the worst and the Texans get stuck with him. Caserio picking up right where he left off as a buffoon.

It could go both ways. Watson could have been telling the Texans that he had no intention of settling with the plantiffs even though Caserio was telling his side that getting the cases settled increases his chances of getting traded this season. And then when the Texans made a below value trade deal with the Dolphins pending the cases being settled, Watson decided to make a quick settlement with the plantiffs to get the deal done so he can get traded this year. And if he was willing to do that quick deal several weeks earlier, the Texans could have gotten their original asking price from the Dolphins.

It could have easily been Watson's fault the deal wasn't done today and not Caserio's. It could be Caserio too.

Yea I'm not sure how much Watson's fetching-price will go up once he settles. He's still tarnished and his market-ability has taken a hit.

IMO Caserio should have cut his losses and moved on. Take the picks and cap space and call it a day. That's what BB would have done.

It's a distraction. Get rid of it.

Yea I'm not sure how much Watson's fetching-price will go up once he settles. He's still tarnished and his market-ability has taken a hit.

IMO Caserio should have cut his losses and moved on. Take the picks and cap space and call it a day. That's what BB would have done.

If nothing new comes out and he settles, Caserio will get as much or more than what he would have gotten today. I don't know if I would make that gamble myself. I would have made the trade myself. If the Dolphins were willing to give up three first rounders as reported but less than two second rounders for additional compensation, I would have jumped at it and been done with it.

But I wouldn't have traded for Watson right now if I was the Dolphins too. Caserio might have saved the Dolphins from themselves while screwing himself over.

As long as he doesn't end up in the AFC east. I'm good.

Who knew that Watson would have all these allegations? I think Caserio did the right thing ignoring Watson as 99.9% of the time players cave, but then the allegations came out and wrecked everything.

But hiring the create a Coach in Madden was really bad.

We went from it was a done deal two weeks ago to it was a done deal if certain criteria happened last week to it ain't happening at all.

It never made any sense for a team to acquire Watson until this was resolved. There are just too many things that could happen. Watson could be completely vindicated to ending up in jail or anywhere in between. The Dolphins would have had been complete morons to make the trade without at least the civil cases not being settled. Obviously, the initial reports were overstated or the Dolphins realistically expected that Watson would settle all 22 cases by the trade deadline.

With the Dolphins, Eagles, and Giants with multiple high first round picks this year, there could be a bidding war before the draft next year assuming Watson doesn't veto two of the three teams.
Hey Rob!

"The Dolphins did due diligence on Watson and had conversations with the Texans, but Miami's owner Stephen Ross had contingencies that needed to be met for any deal and made the final decision to not move forward, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter."

LMFAO

"it's elementary my dear Watson...you sir are a degenerate miscreant while the game's afoot..."

Yes…Houston is underestimating their own opportunity cost in not being able to move on. They‘ve assessed the market for six months. Every team has talked about what they’d trade, if anything, for Watson. They could have just said “highest bidder - all sales final” and gotten a lower return or included some type of conditional.

Now, they apparently think that going into 2022 the market will heat up. I don’t see that happening. They’ll have a guy who just got paid all this money to sit on the bench, hasn’t played for a year, still hasn’t served an imminent suspension, and could potentially have even more problems. A year on the bench, maybe another half season suspended…will be 27 which isn’t old but isn’t 24 either.

If I’m a team, I’m sure thinking even more about whether I want to give up multiple picks for this guy. The draft suddenly has some appeal for QBs and other teams might be willing to consider trading Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, etc for multiple first round picks. Teams in October, with fans demanding success and coaches/GMs desperate, are a lot more likely to make a move like this than in March when the possibilities are endless.

If I were Houston, I would have considered trading Watson for virtually zero draft compensation, just as long as someone would take that mega contract he just signed. If they’re actually turning down multiple first round picks, Caserio/Easterby and those team of morons are even dumber than I thought, which was a high bar to clear.

If nothing new comes out and he settles, Caserio will get as much or more than what he would have gotten today. I don't know if I would make that gamble myself. I would have made the trade myself. If the Dolphins were willing to give up three first rounders as reported but less than two second rounders for additional compensation, I would have jumped at it and been done with it.

But I wouldn't have traded for Watson right now if I was the Dolphins too. Caserio might have saved the Dolphins from themselves while screwing himself over.
Watson's net worth is $24 million. I'm not sure that's even enough money to settle all these cases.

Hey Rob!

"The Dolphins did due diligence on Watson and had conversations with the Texans, but Miami's owner Stephen Ross had contingencies that needed to be met for any deal and made the final decision to not move forward, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter."

LMFAO

Yes, and Watson is a Dolphin today because of it. You got that right too.

Your obsession to prove me wrong is adorable, but my point of the Dolphins not doing their due diligence only applied to the rumor that the trade deal was done and Watson would have been a Dolphin player today. I said there is no way to do your due diligence with 22 open civil cases, an open criminal investigation, and an unknown of what Goodell would do and come to the conclusion that it was worth multiple first round draft picks to trade for him now. And I was right. And Ross agreed with me.

But thanks for pointing out I was right. Feel free to find a post that I wrote that proves me wrong.

Yes…Houston is underestimating their own opportunity cost in not being able to move on. They‘ve assessed the market for six months. Every team has talked about what they’d trade, if anything, for Watson. They could have just said “highest bidder - all sales final” and gotten a lower return or included some type of conditional.

Now, they apparently think that going into 2022 the market will heat up. I don’t see that happening. They’ll have a guy who just got paid all this money to sit on the bench, hasn’t played for a year, still hasn’t served an imminent suspension, and could potentially have even more problems. A year on the bench, maybe another half season suspended…will be 27 which isn’t old but isn’t 24 either.

If I’m a team, I’m sure thinking even more about whether I want to give up multiple picks for this guy. The draft suddenly has some appeal for QBs and other teams might be willing to consider trading Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, etc for multiple first round picks. Teams in October, with fans demanding success and coaches/GMs desperate, are a lot more likely to make a move like this than in March when the possibilities are endless.

If I were Houston, I would have considered trading Watson for virtually zero draft compensation, just as long as someone would take that mega contract he just signed. If they’re actually turning down multiple first round picks, Caserio/Easterby and those team of morons are even dumber than I thought, which was a high bar to clear.
Caserio never struck me as an uber - intelligent guy. Seemed to copy everything BB did and said. Certainly competent here but on his own...?

Easterbunny is a backstabbing, scrupulous clown

Watson's net worth is $24 million. I'm not sure that's even enough money to settle all these cases.

The settlements won't be as big as you think. This is anecdotal, but there is a president/owner of a company that I used to do business with who actually drugged a woman's drink and raped her (hence why I say I used to do business with him) and he paid her off for something like $20k to make any civil and criminal case go away. He isn't worth Watson money, but he is probably worth about $10 million. He's worth less now since I took away my business and gave it to his competitors.

EDIT: Not that I am saying that Watson will get off as remotely as easy as this guy, but you would expect a guy who is worth as much as this guy to be hit with hundreds of thousands of dollars in a settlement. Being a public figure and the number of cases that Watson has will definitely up the ante, but I bet it will cost him like $3-5 million range.

Last edited:
So did Ross basically just tank his own team’s locker room and screw his coach and QB for the rest of the season for no real reason?

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back