PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cooks signs 5-year extension with Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooks is a beast. There is no denying that but I have no regrets in trading him. I would love for him to be here but at the price it wasn't going to be possible and we got a freaking 1st round pick.

We now have a battle royale of former 1st round picks vying to be our next outside receiver.

Yes we pay but reasonably.Once again we build the team not collect talents.

Cooks is a beast. There is no denying that but I have no regrets in trading him. I would love for him to be here but at the price it wasn't going to be possible and we got a freaking 1st round pick.

We now have a battle royale of former 1st round picks vying to be our next outside receiver.

He's a talented receiver but, in this offense, you need to be able to run more than 2 routes.

His # of catches/targets is hardly the sample size to prove Dorsett is now a sure- handed WR.

Thats not what I said.

I said that he has shown signs of progress, but still needs to put it all together to make the roster.

Why 66% is so important.

Brady attempted 581 passes last season.

A 50% catch or completion rate is 290 completed.
A 66% catch or completion rate is 387 completed.

97 more completions divided by 16 games = 6 more completions per game. Often times the game is decided by a handful of plays. If Welker catches the ball, the Pats win another Super Bowl. The Tyree catch was the game. Lee Evans drops a TD pass standing in the end zone for the Ravens.

Youre going to win a lot of games in the 66% range.

I have nothing against Cooks. He made some plays and didn't make some others.
But he kind of struggled becoming a superstar with 2 of the leagues best QB throwing passes to him..

Great production, well behaved... but neither NE or NO thought it mission critical that he stick around.

Thats not what I said.

I said that he has shown signs of progress, but still needs to put it all together to make the roster.

You didn't say that in your post. That's fine.

He's a talented receiver but, in this offense, you need to be able to run more than 2 routes.
I'm surprised so many here thought he was a good rr in the first place. He does almost everything fast but he never had the subtlety to transform routes into his own.
He's an elite deep threat that won't win physical battles. I like him a lot but nowhere near that money.

Personally i dont get it. There were cheaper options elsewhere & they have to pay better players that impact the game more.

Good for him. Hopefully he will screw up the SB for the Rams like he did for the Pats this past February. Yes I still am upset. Sorry.

Drops are factored in
Of course they are big catch rate has to do with a lot more than drops.

Dorsett mostly got deep low percentage targets in Indy. Here he got more short high percentage throws.
We consistently see that QBs complete something like 80% of short throws, 60% of intermediate and about 25% of deep throws.

To say catch rate is comparable without looking at those throws is ignorant. (Same with completion percentage but the larger sample size and the fact 1 qb makes all the throws and receives run different routes makes that less variable.)

A receiver getting 50 targets within 3 yards of the Los, 10 intermediate and 2 deep compared to a receiver that gets 15 short, 25 intermediate and 23 deep is comparing apples to oranges with catch rate.

I like Cooks. He is a good player. But he is not worth 16M a year.

I'd say at most he is worth 12M.

I like Cooks. He is a good player. But he is not worth 16M a year.

I'd say at most he is worth 12M.
He is worth more to some teams than others.
When you have Tom Brady he can make a less expensive WR Corps add up to a great passing offense so you can spend money elsewhere.
When you have Jared Goff you need to invest more into weapons to create a great passing game.

I'm not sure I saw $16m total in WRs running routes for the Pats last year never mind "a $16 mill WR"

Don’t hate on my boy Hogan! Cooks plus (a healthy) Hogan plus Dola combined are worth 16 mill, no question.

Don’t hate on my boy Hogan! Cooks plus (a healthy) Hogan plus Dola combined are worth 16 mill, no question.

According to the NFLPA's salary numbers combined they were worth @ $8.3m last year ;)

You didn't say that in your post. That's fine.

Yup, I sure did. # 47 in the thread.

His problems have been catch rate.

When he landed in NE, Dorsett did not play much at all. Later on in the season he made some nice catches after some development from the NE coaching staff. If he puts it all together and makes the roster it will be another savvy move by BB because he likely knew that Cooks was down the road. Brady was not enamored with Cooks.

Cooks averaged one catch per quarter as a NEP (65 catches)
4 catches per game
Gets rewarded with approx $1 mill / game contract
Pats WR
------------
Hogan $3.3 mill
Patterson $3.25
Britt $1.5
Dorsett $1.4
Matthews $1
Mitchell $0.8
Berrios $0.5
Hollister $0.5
McCarron $0.5
+ Edelman $5.5 mil
---------------------------
Approximately $18 mill in NEP WR contracts without taking into account expected cuts and Edelman's 1/4 season hiatus

Two different philosophies.
Our guy doesn't believe in sacrificing a disproportionate amount of cap space to one player who might touch the ball 6 times on a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents