PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cooks signs 5-year extension with Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
good for cooks.

and to think, some posters here were talking about how we'd resign him for 9 mil a year, and that they thought that would be too much.

Lul.

It always perplexes me when posters talk about the Lloyd season like it's an old shame and pretend he gave an Ochocinco-like performance. In reality, he gave us some of the best production from the WR2 role we've seen this decade.
Think he had a monster game against SF that year.

Did any of you see a $16 mill WR running routes for the Pats last year? I didn’t.

It seemed like a lot of the board wanted to re-sign him earlier in the offseason. There was no way we weren't even going to be I the same stratosphere as those numbers.

If you count this year's salary the average is just under 15 but if you just count the new money the average is 16M. Wow.

Happy for Cooks but I think the Rams are going to regret this.

I agree, Cooks is a high character guy and a great person.. so I have no ill will towards him whatsoever and appreciate his contributions, but the only receivers I would ever see as being worth getting paid that kind of money are the monsters like Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, OBJ, D. Hopkins, etc.. guys that can make plays even when they have a defender (or 2) draped all over them.. Gronk is also an example of this type of player, but fortunately for us he gets taken advantage of due to his TE position grouping in terms of salary

Its hard to believe he's the same size as Antonio Brown... Brown just looks like he has way more length to him, but they're the exact same height and from the sites i checked he is actually 4lbs heavier than Brown too

It always perplexes me when posters talk about the Lloyd season like it's an old shame and pretend he gave an Ochocinco-like performance. In reality, he gave us some of the best production from the WR2 role we've seen this decade.

Lloyd was ok but he is not in Cooks league. Lloyd had one great year and 2 decent ones. His catch rate is not great and his YAC (at least while he was here) was non existent. Decent complimentary piece in the right system but IMO he is softer than Cooks on top of it. As mentioned, a good option 2 in the right system.

Lloyd has 9 seasons (and he was only in the NFL for 11 seasons) where his catch rate was lower than Cooks WORST rate which was 57% (last year). And Cooks is a down field threat while Lloyd was not as much.

Lloyd has SIX seasons under 50% catch rate.

I thought cooks was starting to build chemistry with Brady until he got hurt. It’s a shame he couldn’t be here for his coming year. So whose our deep threat this year?

Cooks deserves to get paid. He has had production unlike Sammy Watkins whose vastly overrated.

Did any of you see a $16 mill WR running routes for the Pats last year? I didn’t.

I'm not sure I saw $16m total in WRs running routes for the Pats last year never mind "a $16 mill WR"

I thought cooks was starting to build chemistry with Brady until he got hurt. It’s a shame he couldn’t be here for his coming year. So whose our deep threat this year?

Reports are that the Patriots tried to work out an extension with Cooks, but couldn't reach an agreement. If the reported numbers on this contract are mostly real, we now know why.

As for the deep threat this year, it remains to be seen. It's still not out of the realm of possibility that Hogan ends up being that again.

Reports are that the Patriots tried to work out an extension with Cooks, but couldn't reach an agreement. If the reported numbers on this contract are mostly real, we now know why.

As for the deep threat this year, it remains to be seen. It's still not out of the realm of possibility that Hogan ends up being that again.

Well i am hoping matthews has a big year. He took a 1 year deal. Hope he can put up big numbers so he can get paid.

Well i am hoping matthews has a big year. He took a 1 year deal. Hope he can put up big numbers so he can get paid.

I'm not sure he's the same type of receiver (downfield threat) that we're discussing. Matthews has been more of a short - intermediate route runner with a career yards / reception of under 12. He's likely a decent fit in the slot, but probably won't clear out coverage like Cooks.

Lloyd was ok but he is not in Cooks league. Lloyd had one great year and 2 decent ones. His catch rate is not great and his YAC (at least while he was here) was non existent. Decent complimentary piece in the right system but IMO he is softer than Cooks on top of it. As mentioned, a good option 2 in the right system.

Lloyd has 9 seasons (and he was only in the NFL for 11 seasons) where his catch rate was lower than Cooks WORST rate which was 57% (last year). And Cooks is a down field threat while Lloyd was not as much.

Lloyd has SIX seasons under 50% catch rate.

I wasn't the one who introduced the Cooks-Lloyd comparison, which I don't actually think is apt. My post was mostly a tangent, I have to confess. I think Cooks is about as good a #1 as Lloyd was a #2.

I'm not sure he's the same type of receiver (downfield threat) that we're discussing. Matthews has been more of a short - intermediate route runner with a career yards / reception of under 12. He's likely a decent fit in the slot, but probably won't clear out coverage like Cooks.

Dorsett's the one to watch. Whether he gets cut tomorrow, makes the all-NFL team for the Patriots, or falls somewhere in between, he's the one WR on the team with the theoretical combination of skill set and measurables to really take the deep threat role following Cooks.

I wish him well, but I also think Belichick made the right decision in this case.

I liked Cooks, he was a good player. But his Super Bowl mistakes (that stupid jump and his whole spin in a circle and get knocked out move) were very likely the difference between a win and a loss.

Yes, I know the defense sucked. But that first down could lead to seven points and pressure on Philly, and him getting knocked out I believe led to Philip Dorsett being in the game for much more than he should have been.

Play for the Patriots get paid insane money somewhere else....
Derrell Revis
Chandler Jones
Jamie Collins
Malcolm Butler
Brandin Cooks
Just to name a few. Bat signal call to any veteran still in their prime looking for a 1 year deal and then that last huge contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back