PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Conor McDermott re-signed

No matter what the contract says? Id wait for the numbers before going into any of that..

Best case scenario: its close to a vet min contract (id be surprised his agent would sign that at this point in time)
Mid case scenario: low backup contract making him thanksdad Ferentz 2.0 > illusion of real backup/depth (esp with his coach Klemm on board)
The timing would suggest more depressing scenario > solid multi yr backup OT contract with significant guarantees..

I dont mind bringing him back - it was obvious it was going to happen (no one else in the league values him more than Pats atm + Klemm conn) - but signing him on a new contract at this point just doesnt bode well for those who hoped for the end of “serviceable guy“ experiments and hoped for significant revamp of OL - not just starters but depth as well..

Not sure who these mythical people are "who hoped for the end of "serviceable guy" experiments and hoped for a significant revamp of OL" but MOST people with a modicum sense of football knew that wasn't happening via free agency alone. Not to mention that teams ALWAYS need serviceable players so the whole idea seems to be something you made up.

For RTs, you have 4 players under 30 in McGary, McGlinchey, Taylor, and Wylie would would be upgrades. For LTs, you have Orlando Brown Jr. That's not a lot of talent out there to work with.

Your GUESS regarding the timing is perplexing. Do you understand how many OTs the Patriots had on the team prior to signing McDermott? 2. Trent Brown and Andrew Steuber. ONE had the worst year of his professional career. The other didn't play a snap for the Pats. So, adding McDermott, who has experience and played better than Cajuste and Wynn and as good as Cannon (who is 35 and contemplating retirement) actually makes sense.

If the Pats went into mini-camps with JUST 2 rookies (regardless of where drafted), Steuber, and some UDFAs, people like you would be screaming for BB's head, yet again. This way they bring in someone who has experience with Klemm, experience on the team with 2 different stints and won't necessarily be relied upon. It's a low risk move to ensure having some experienced depth.

Your post is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board.

You seriously want people posting video evidence?

And you think the stats don't bear out what I'm saying.

Good, I'll never take you seriously again.

1 sack and 8 pressures in 361 Offensive snaps over 6 games. That hardly supports your idea that he was always crashing down on Onwenu's blocking assignment. Or that he was a sieve. Yes, by comparison, he gave up more pressure than Andrews (13) or Onwenu (14) or Strange (23) Trent Brown gave up 39 pressures in 17 games. Isaiah Wynn gave up 17 in 9 games.

The fact that you can't be bothered to find some of links to videos that would support your claims speaks volumes about you.

People post video evidence all the time on here. Clearly asking you to support your claims with something other than "Because you said so" is asking too much of you.

You seem to be the one who should never be taken seriously again. You're the one acting like your word should be taken as gospel.

McDermott was very, very late to the party but ended up being the best of that bunch.

No, he just ended up the last man standing. Cajuste coming back from another injury was still better in PP but he couldn't run block so McD who is decent run blocker prevailed. Wynn and Cannon, although unimpressive, are a few classes above McD.

maybe he can elevate to average starter level with better coaching and a full off-season.

30y old player with 6 years in the league (mostly PS) that cannot move in a league getting faster esp on the edges?

I'll take credit for this move. I stated in week 15 that McD should be one of the obvious FA's to re-sign here. He acquitted himself very well in a season that saw a lot of struggle at RT. He's not perfect, or even necessarily the future at RT, but an easy veteran gap-filler while we either draft a new RT, or see if Cajuste is worth working out.

No, he just ended up the last man standing. Cajuste coming back from another injury was still better in PP but he couldn't run block so McD who is decent run blocker prevailed. Wynn and Cannon, although unimpressive, are a few classes above McD.

HUH??? Guys who gave up more pressures and more sacks were better in Pass Protection? How does THAT work??

Cajuste - 197 snaps (117 pass blocking), 3 sacks, 12 total pressures; 1 pressure per 9.75 drop backs
Wynn - 423 snaps (229 pass blocking) , 4 sacks 17 total pressures ; 1 pressure per 13.5 drop backs
Cannon - 211 snaps (106 pass blocking), 1 sack, 11 total pressures ; 1 pressure per 9.6 drop backs
McDermott - 361 snaps (239 pass blocking)- 0 sack, 11 total pressures. ; 1 pressure per 21.7 drop backs.

I'm not saying that McDermott is great by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not saying he's even good. I'm saying that he's better than some people are characterizing him.

NOTE: Two corrections from my previous statements. McDermott's sack allowed was with the Jets. McDermott DID allow 3 QB hits while with the Pats. For some reason the article on the Pats nation page didn't include them amongst his Pressures allowed.

30y old player with 6 years in the league (mostly PS) that cannot move in a league getting faster esp on the edges?
Speaking of Cajuste…I really thought he was going to be a keeper. Lots of rave reviews from college. I think his college injuries (quad, calf and knee) messed him up and never saw his full potential.

No matter what the contract says? Id wait for the numbers before going into any of that..

Best case scenario: its close to a vet min contract (id be surprised his agent would sign that at this point in time)
Mid case scenario: low backup contract making him thanksdad Ferentz 2.0 > illusion of real backup/depth (esp with his coach Klemm on board)
The timing would suggest more depressing scenario > solid multi yr backup OT contract with significant guarantees..

I dont mind bringing him back - it was obvious it was going to happen (no one else in the league values him more than Pats atm + Klemm conn) - but signing him on a new contract at this point just doesnt bode well for those who hoped for the end of “serviceable guy“ experiments and hoped for significant revamp of OL - not just starters but depth as well..
So, this is no good because it isn't a signifiant improvement in the OL.

OT - Did we improve the OT position
=============
Well, we had injury prone Brown and Steuber who has shown nothing. We needed four more OT's for camp. We need at least 2 more for the roster. McDermott is clearly an improvement.

IOL
===
Our backups are Hines, Ferentz and Russey. We need improvement, at very least 2 to compete for positions and another to compete for the Practice Squad.

====================
BOTTOM LINE
We could use a lot of help. Clearly, there is room for McDermott.

1 sack and 8 pressures in 361 Offensive snaps over 6 games. That hardly supports your idea that he was always crashing down on Onwenu's blocking assignment. Or that he was a sieve. Yes, by comparison, he gave up more pressure than Andrews (13) or Onwenu (14) or Strange (23) Trent Brown gave up 39 pressures in 17 games. Isaiah Wynn gave up 17 in 9 games.

The fact that you can't be bothered to find some of links to videos that would support your claims speaks volumes about you.

People post video evidence all the time on here. Clearly asking you to support your claims with something other than "Because you said so" is asking too much of you.

You seem to be the one who should never be taken seriously again. You're the one acting like your word should be taken as gospel.
Absurd. Like I said, never taking you seriously ever again

****ing outright civil war in some of these threads (I’m new here).

Only about two decades here, that’s pretty fresh I would say. You’ll adjust after about a century I would guess.
I’m trying to get the hang of it..I’ll get there. Thanks :thumbsup:

Your post is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board.

You seriously want people posting video evidence?

And you think the stats don't bear out what I'm saying.

Good, I'll never take you seriously again.
I think it’s pretty clear that you are giving an opinion of what you think you saw and it conflicts with the numbers. You gave ONE example. People just don’t have much faith in your ability to evaluate. It appears you are aghast that your opinion isn’t being considered gospel

Hope he gets beat out.

How many OTs the Pats draft will depend on how they view Steuber. If they feel that Steuber will get a chance to be an option off the bench at LG/RG/RT then they may only draft one (which I think would be a mistake). I mention this because I believe that Steuber will be in the mix for the RT job. He has experience there AND actually played next to Onwenu when they were both at Michigan.
He had a pretty weak bench press 17 for a Big Guy I can do 25 without breaking a sweat. And I'm not nearly as Big As Steuber.

He had a pretty weak bench press 17 for a Big Guy I can do 25 without breaking a sweat. And I'm not nearly as Big As Steuber.
DaBruinz for last time... stop the negativity.

How long are your arms? Stueber's are 34 1/8" long. There have been numerous posts about how it's actually harder to bench with longer arms than with shorter ones.

Also, don't you think that the Patriots would have put him on a Strength training regimen to help improve that?

DaBruinz for last time... stop the negativity.
You quoted your own post there. If that's ME being negative, then you've got some things you need to go deal with and should probably step away..

Absurd. Like I said, never taking you seriously ever again
Nope. Not absurd. Reality. But keep blaming others because you expect everyone to just take you at your word without any factual support.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back