PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Conor McDermott re-signed

That would be a mistake
Which? There were two things there. Giving Steuber a chance and not drafting more than one OT.

Which? There were two things there. Giving Steuber a chance and not drafting more than one OT.
Not drafting more then 1 OT…regardless of giving Steuber a shot.

This is a position that’s it’s better to have too many then not enough.

McDermott was late to the chaotic offense last year, expect better this year with our renewed offensive system

And you don't think that part of it was the poor coaching from Patricia? One of the biggest issues last year was the communication on the O-line and lack of adjustments.

Do you happen to have any video clips of these screw ups from the last 3 games? I ask because more people noticed a significant change during in McDermott during those games. I'm not saying he's the next Vollmer or anything, or even the next Nick Kaczur.. From one news article, McDermott only allowed 1 sack and 8 pressures in 6 starts. I think you're being a tad harsh in your evaluation.

With the changes in the Practice squad rules over the past 4 years, your jab about McDermott being on the PS is a tad silly. There are plenty of marginal vested vets ending up there now.
No I don't have video clips, Lol. If that's the standard, we should shut this message board down

Guy makes the same mistakes over and over again

Honestly, Ive never seen anyone go for the double repeatedly when he has his own assignment.

It was beyond bizarre that he did that.

No I don't have video clips, Lol. If that's the standard, we should shut this message board down

Honestly, Ive never seen anyone go for the double repeatedly when he has his own assignment.

interesting. We know bill does not like "error repeaters." [I use that in my class all the time]

R-E-L-A-X uppy, this was a low cost signing to what will be a NINETY man roster. He may not have been great, but he was better than I expected quite frankly. No one is saying this guy is the answer, BUT there will be a LOT more signings like this before we get to 90 in late July. AND every year there are a FEW no name guys like this who become very useful and productive players. You just never can predict who these guys are. They just emerge somehow.

Last edited:
R-E-L-A-X uppy, this was a low cost signing to what will be a NINETY man roster. He may not have been great, but he was better than I expected quite frankly. No is saying this guy is the answer, BUT there will be a LOT more signings like this before we get to 90 in late July. AND every year there are a FEW no name guys like this who become very useful and productive players. You just never can predict who these guys are. They just emerge somehow.
Well, I actually wrote that this guy gets constantly complimented as being good. Not that I'm against signing fodder and jetsom. I mean, he has his own thread.

Where's Lynn Bowden's thread??

I don't know what those stats guys are watching, but I know what I saw with my own eyes. I really don't pay much attention to these stats in general, and now I can thank you for vindicating me and letting me save time.

He repeatedly misses his assignment and gives a free run at Mac to the edge rusher. Not once or twice, but time and time again. There are people here who blamed Hunter Henry for a missed block that got Mac Jones killed and lead to a tipped interception. I'm guessing that these so-called stat guys put that on Henry. It was McDermott's guy all the way, Henry was helping him by chipping. Meanwhile, McDermott doubled Onwenu's guy and gave the rusher the inside lane straight to Mac.

I was trained on this guy just like I have been over the years watching all Patriots linemen (since it was my position and I enjoy watching them). You'll find me here critiquing McDermott and the other OL all the time. As much as I love Onwenu, he was very poor at LG and I said so all last year. McDermott is a sieve.
So which of the zero sacks he allowed were the ones you think you saw?

Obviously, Steuber will be "given a chance".

He might make the Practice Squad, or make the 53 as a backup.

However, it is a mistake to assume that Steuber will be a 2023 contributor and then not bother to bring in enough OT's for competition and in case of injuries.

We need top end talent to upgrade OT for sure, but we also simply need BODIES there right now. Wynn, Cajuste, and Cannon are free agents (and I would be surprised if any of them are back in 2023). They save a lot of money I think if they cut Brown. But even if they keep him, I think that leaves him and Steuber as our only T's under contract for 2023. Connor may not be a guy you want starting more than a handful of fill-in games, but the Pats know him and Klemm knows him. That's valuable for a camp depth guy at least. They'll still be signing two (of varying quality) and drafting two or three (not all high) I think before all is said and done.

So which of the zero sacks he allowed were the ones you think you saw?
I expected him to be a sieve when we had to start him. He wasn't. He turned out to be "serviceable". Not great, not horrible. The kind of guy who can give you productive snaps, but also one you are constantly trying to upgrade from.

This "discussion" isn't about whether McDermott is good or bad as a possible starter, but rather is he good enough to be on an NFL 90 man roster and see what he can do with a full offseason. The answer to THAT question is a resounding YES. This is a discussion we need to have, Uppy, but probably not until the last week of August.

We need top end talent to upgrade OT for sure, but we also simply need BODIES there right now. Wynn, Cajuste, and Cannon are free agents (and I would be surprised if any of them are back in 2023). They save a lot of money I think if they cut Brown. But even if they keep him, I think that leaves him and Steuber as our only T's under contract for 2023. Connor may not be a guy you want starting more than a handful of fill-in games, but the Pats know him and Klemm knows him. That's valuable for a camp depth guy at least. They'll still be signing two (of varying quality) and drafting two or three (not all high) I think before all is said and done.
IMO, we need to have 6 OT's for camp, and end up with 3-4 on the 53- man roster, and 1-2 on the Practice Squad (5 total).

We NOW have 3 OT's under contract: Brown, McDermott, and Steuber. We need lots more, even if Brown could be counted on to be healthy all season.

Well, I actually wrote that this guy gets constantly complimented as being good. Not that I'm against signing fodder and jetsom. I mean, he has his own thread.

Where's Lynn Bowden's thread??
I keep wondering why the Mac trade rumor thread is 20 pages long. THOSE kinds of questions just can't be answered by rational people, my friend.

This "discussion" isn't about whether McDermott is good or bad as a possible starter, but rather is he good enough to be on an NFL 90 man roster and see what he can do with a full offseason. The answer to THAT question is a resounding YES.

No matter what the contract says? Id wait for the numbers before going into any of that..

Best case scenario: its close to a vet min contract (id be surprised his agent would sign that at this point in time)
Mid case scenario: low backup contract making him thanksdad Ferentz 2.0 > illusion of real backup/depth (esp with his coach Klemm on board)
The timing would suggest more depressing scenario > solid multi yr backup OT contract with significant guarantees..

I dont mind bringing him back - it was obvious it was going to happen (no one else in the league values him more than Pats atm + Klemm conn) - but signing him on a new contract at this point just doesnt bode well for those who hoped for the end of “serviceable guy“ experiments and hoped for significant revamp of OL - not just starters but depth as well..

What's beyond bizarre is that you keep making a statement about what McDemermott supposedly did, yet the STATS don't bear that out. 1 sack and 8 pressures in 6 games. You've also claimed the guy was a sieve. It's hilarious that you claim it happened so much, but you aren't willing to go out and snaps from different games to support your claim.

I can't speak for the idjits that I have blocked or that have me blocked , but most people I am seeing are saying it's a "Good depth signing". No one is touting him as the next coming of Vollmer or Kaczur. Most people just acknowledge what he is.

What's beyond bizarre is that you keep making a statement about what McDemermott supposedly did, yet the STATS don't bear that out. 1 sack and 8 pressures in 6 games. You've also claimed the guy was a sieve. It's hilarious that you claim it happened so much, but you aren't willing to go out and snaps from different games to support your claim.

I can't speak for the idjits that I have blocked or that have me blocked , but most people I am seeing are saying it's a "Good depth signing". No one is touting him as the next coming of Vollmer or Kaczur. Most people just acknowledge what he is.
Your post is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board.

You seriously want people posting video evidence?

And you think the stats don't bear out what I'm saying.

Good, I'll never take you seriously again.

The whole OL was a train wreck last year. The only guys who were consistently solid were Onwenu and Andrews, everyone else was spotty at best. I would say a very large reason for this has to do with coaching. RT was a revolving door with countless guys coming into the role. McDermott was very, very late to the party but ended up being the best of that bunch. He was never “good” but he was at least “not dogshit” and he settled in a bit over the last few games. He’s fine depth to have and I am interested to see if maybe he can elevate to average starter level with better coaching and a full off-season.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back