PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Conor McDermott re-signed

That's the GM side of BB that I will always question. I mean they are prospects in this upcoming Draft that are already better with upside. We know what McDermott brings to the table and it's not much.:rolleyes:
This is what I'm thinking. Unless the reserve is very good, they have to play for the minimum.

For a very long time I've agreed with Belichick's approach on starters. Pay them even if they are only mid-level starters. If you have good to decent players all over the field, it's more effective than having super stars and weak spots. Every sport is the same. An opponent will expose your weak spots every time.

In football, they'll run at your edge defender or throw on your weak DB.
In baseball, they'll pitch around your superstar.
In basketball, they'll double and triple your scorer and dare your weakest player to pick it up.

Reminds me of my daughter's soccer club one year when they scheduled a makeup game in June when everyone was on vacation. We traveled a couple of hours and only 10 players showed up. They went up 2-0 at the half playing down a player. So then the weakest player on a team of 20 showed up. Every pass to her was a turnover. 2-2 was the final. "Don't pass to her" is something you never hear on a soccer field.

You’re all over the place in comparing max value of one contract to base value of another to some numbers that just aren’t right.

McDermott’s contract is $1.8M per year base value with $2.55M per year maximum.

Jermaine Eluemunor is about to become a free agent. He will almost definitely make more than McDermott. PFF recently suggested $3.75M per year.

Phillips’ first contract with the Patriots was $3M per year base, $3.75M per year max.

Guy’s contract is $2.875M per year base, $6M per year max.

Bentley’s contract is $3M per year base, $4.5M year max.
I was talking about Eluemnor's FA contract. He's going to be a starter now. You don't see how these are 2 totally different things? What did he sign for when he was NOT expected to be the starter?

The players I quoted were all adding salary + signing bonus per year.

Guy is at $2m +$250k + 750k incentives.
Where are you seeing $6m?

I'm looking at Sportrac New England Patriots 2023 Salary Cap

You’re all over the place in comparing max value of one contract to base value of another to some numbers that just aren’t right.

McDermott’s contract is $1.8M per year base value with $2.55M per year maximum.

Jermaine Eluemunor is about to become a free agent. He will almost definitely make more than McDermott. PFF recently suggested $3.75M per year.

Phillips’ first contract with the Patriots was $3M per year base, $3.75M per year max.

Guy’s contract is $2.875M per year base, $6M per year max.

Bentley’s contract is $3M per year base, $4.5M year max.
You're making it too difficult for upstater.

Let's just stick with Eluemunor and the assertion that McDermott will make double what Eluemunor makes.

So what exactly is Yodny Cajuste looking for? He's still young and would be a better signing.
We will probably Tender him an offer sheet... Most likely an original round tender (3rd)... +/- 3M

Wasn't he a Third Rounder??
Yes, hence the term original round tender... Could go higher, pay more if you think he's worth it, or go cheap with a right of first refusal... No compensation but it gives us the right to match any offer

I really don't think I'm underestimating. I just checked a few all over the league. For instance, McDermott is making DOUBLE what Jermaine Eluemnor will make. Vet minimum seems to be the normal offer for guys who are purely reserves. Mind you, I acknowledge that a 3rd tackle who will see playing time and is decent will get more. But McDermott is not that guy. He's just a JAG. If we gave an extra $1m to every JAG on the team we'd bust our cap.

For instance, Tavai, Hoyer, Ty Montgomery, they all got less to come here or stay on.

EDIT: I was using Sportrac's numbers for some of the other guys I was comparing. Sportrac may be off on Patriots salaries.

This is what I was quoting: New England Patriots 2023 Salary Cap

Would you just STOP already. You were wildly wrong when you said the Pats signed him for what they offered Karras. McDermott's salary is 1.8M. That's less than half what they offered Karras, even at the low-ball number of $4.33M/year APY.

Tavai's cap hit will be 2.25M this year because his per game incentives will be LTBE.
Hoyer? He got a 2yr/$4M contract with $3M guaranteed. It's not comparable because very little of McDermott's money is guaranteed,.
Montgomery? Who was going to be the 3rd down back/WR type player? 2yr/$3.6M with 300K guaranteed. Almost identical to McDermott.

I'm actually astonished that you're so willing to die on this hill. Over a guy like f'in McDermott. The fact that you're acting like 1.8M is a lot of money when the cap is 224.8M is just mind-boggling to me.

NOTE: OTC is better than Spotrac. Spotrac is run by unscrupulous people and should be avoided.

Wasn't he a Third Rounder??
McDermott? No. A 6th rounder.

You're probably thinking of Anthony Garcia. The 3rd rounder who developed blood clots in his lungs prior to camp and was IRed. Then let go the following year.

I was talking about Eluemnor's FA contract. He's going to be a starter now. You don't see how these are 2 totally different things? What did he sign for when he was NOT expected to be the starter?

Not sure about the $6M,. Also have no idea about the "750K in incentives" that Spotrac mentions. Guy has $1M in per game bonuses that are achievable and another $500K in other incentives. Some of them are LTBE and are currently included in his cap number while others are NLTBE.

You're probably thinking of Anthony Garcia. The 3rd rounder who developed blood clots in his lungs prior to camp and was IRed. Then let go the following year.
I think Pape was talking about Yodny Cajuste.

Here is Reiss’ initial report on the $24M maximum value for Guy’s four year deal.

More recently, here is Miguel acknowledging that Guy could have earned $3.5M in incentives this season alone (but only earned $500k).

I’ll throw Peppers in as another example of how misleading maximum value can be. He could have earned $5M last season, but didn’t earn any of the $3M in incentives.

Here is Reiss’ initial report on the $24M maximum value for Guy’s four year deal.

More recently, here is Miguel acknowledging that Guy could have earned $3.5M in incentives this season alone (but only earned $500k).

I’ll throw Peppers in as another example of how misleading maximum value can be. He could have earned $5M last season, but didn’t earn any of the $3M in incentives.

Thanks for this. Explains how Sportrac is missing. As a starter tho, $3.5m is a bargain. Also, he is well underperforming the contract if he doesn't hit those incentives. He can earn up to $6m a year, but was at $3.5m

You're making it too difficult for upstater.

Let's just stick with Eluemunor and the assertion that McDermott will make double what Eluemunor makes.
It's not too difficult at all. I gave my source. Their incentives number was wrong.

Cajuste is a 3rd round pick, and is a RFA... thats who i was referring to

Cajuste is a 3rd round pick, and is a RFA... thats who i was referring to

Did I miss a transaction somewhere, because shouldn't he be a UFA after his 4-year rookie contract expired?

I think they're hedging their free agent/draft bets with McDermott where he can be a swing tackle, but if they find someone better in free agency or the draft, they didn't spend that much for McDermott. He's T insurance.

I am impressed that a Conor McDermott contract can generate 5 pages of content. I thought maybe this was a mislabeled Conor MacGregor topic because of the OT designation and the number of pages. Good job folks, keep it rolling.

Did I miss a transaction somewhere, because shouldn't he be a UFA after his 4-year rookie contract expired?
contract tolled because in his first year he was NFI (quad surgery) & IR'ed (knee) ... never played a game and thus never got credit for the season... i think the minimum is 6 games... but not certain on 6, so if anyone knows better, say the word

Last edited:
I think they're hedging their free agent/draft bets with McDermott where he can be a swing tackle, but if they find someone better in free agency or the draft, they didn't spend that much for McDermott. He's T insurance.

McDermott cant swing (move) so he can only play on the right (RG/RT) if nothing else is available.
I agree this is an insurance contract (b-up insurance not starter) - still waiting for guarantees..
It prob gives him an opportunity to fight for OT #4/5 with Stueber and some street FAs.

One can still hope they will address the position seriously in both FA and Draft . this contract shouldn't stop them piling on better options
for b-up capacity as well.

Last edited:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back