PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Conor McDermott re-signed

catent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I am very glad to hear this. Ideally he's depth, but I considered him to be darn impressive last season, particularly when considering the extremely unfavorable situation he was thrust into.

I am very glad to hear this. Ideally he's depth, but I considered him to be darn impressive last season, particularly when considering the extremely unfavorable situation he was thrust into.

Agreed, decent depth piece but hopefully just that...unless Peyton Manning's wife is his nutritionist, in which case he might have a decent shot at starting.

I am at a loss why people like him. He's clueless. Constantly messing up his assignment. The guy repeatedly doubled Onwenu's man and gave up the outside. Just a disaster. But people are fans for some reason.

I trained my eyes on him for large swaths of games, and it made perfect sense to me why he was on a practice squad this late into his career. It is Belichick's fault that he doesn't have better depth on the line, but for me this guy is like having a Ferentz in the interior. Gotta do better when it comes to backups.

I am at a loss why people like him. He's clueless. Constantly messing up his assignment. The guy repeatedly doubled Onwenu's man and gave up the outside. Just a disaster. But people are fans for some reason.

I trained my eyes on him for large swaths of games, and it made perfect sense to me why he was on a practice squad this late into his career. It is Belichick's fault that he doesn't have better depth on the line, but for me this guy is like having a Ferentz in the interior. Gotta do better when it comes to backups.
I don’t know, I thought giving up zero sacks and three hits on 361 snaps for the year was solid. What numbers did you see?

He held up very well for us, hope it’s a multi year deal. The bar was very low, but he was easily the best RT play we got all season.

This is a good move. Can't have enough tackle depth, even just for training camp. He stepped in and did okay in a tough spot. We need him and doesn't stop us signing someone in FA and drafting a young guy.

McDermott delusion is running high i see : )

Looks like the place is indeed cleaned up and there will be hand clapping all through the offseason no matter what they do..

ftr - i dont mind the signing (as a depth piece) - it was always going to happen - but to think this immovable 30y old career practice squad RT is a piece that will make the OL better is beyond delusional..

I don't understand why people on this board don't understand this is what you get for a backup 3/4th OT in the NFL.

Is he an upgrade from Justin Herron, Jermaine Eluemunor, Korey Cunningham, Marshall Newhouse, LaAdrian Waddle, Cameron Fleming?

You roll the dice on these guys and hope you catch them at their peak in a career year, if they are needed.

I don't understand why people on this board don't understand this is what you get for a backup 3/4th OT in the NFL.

Is he an upgrade from Justin Herron, Jermaine Eluemunor, Korey Cunningham, Marshall Newhouse, LaAdrian Waddle, Cameron Fleming?

You roll the dice on these guys and hope you catch them at their peak in a career year, if they are needed.
Fleming was a decent backup.

McD might not even make the team. He was serviceable last year.

Whatever.

I must admit that I have not looked at him in any depth but based on some reports I read he seemed to do ok in the last few games. Lets see how he does in camp etc

This is a good move. We need him and doesn't stop us signing someone in FA and drafting a young guy.

Agreed. Not sure we "need him", but we need a backup, and an experienced one is good. And agreed does not change the need of signing a FA and drafting one. Also draft two please.

I don’t know, I thought giving up zero sacks and three hits on 361 snaps for the year was solid. What numbers did you see?
I don't know what those stats guys are watching, but I know what I saw with my own eyes. I really don't pay much attention to these stats in general, and now I can thank you for vindicating me and letting me save time.

He repeatedly misses his assignment and gives a free run at Mac to the edge rusher. Not once or twice, but time and time again. There are people here who blamed Hunter Henry for a missed block that got Mac Jones killed and lead to a tipped interception. I'm guessing that these so-called stat guys put that on Henry. It was McDermott's guy all the way, Henry was helping him by chipping. Meanwhile, McDermott doubled Onwenu's guy and gave the rusher the inside lane straight to Mac.

I was trained on this guy just like I have been over the years watching all Patriots linemen (since it was my position and I enjoy watching them). You'll find me here critiquing McDermott and the other OL all the time. As much as I love Onwenu, he was very poor at LG and I said so all last year. McDermott is a sieve.

And you don't think that part of it was the poor coaching from Patricia? One of the biggest issues last year was the communication on the O-line and lack of adjustments.

Do you happen to have any video clips of these screw ups from the last 3 games? I ask because more people noticed a significant change during in McDermott during those games. I'm not saying he's the next Vollmer or anything, or even the next Nick Kaczur.. From one news article, McDermott only allowed 1 sack and 8 pressures in 6 starts. I think you're being a tad harsh in your evaluation.

With the changes in the Practice squad rules over the past 4 years, your jab about McDermott being on the PS is a tad silly. There are plenty of marginal vested vets ending up there now.

Jermaine Eluemunor was really good this year - don't know if you saw that. He said he woke up and decided to be committed.
I know ... I was surprised he was still in the league. The light goes on a little later for some!

Agreed. Not sure we "need him", but we need a backup, and an experienced one is good. And agreed does not change the need of signing a FA and drafting one. Also draft two please.

How many OTs the Pats draft will depend on how they view Steuber. If they feel that Steuber will get a chance to be an option off the bench at LG/RG/RT then they may only draft one (which I think would be a mistake). I mention this because I believe that Steuber will be in the mix for the RT job. He has experience there AND actually played next to Onwenu when they were both at Michigan.

If they feel that Steuber will get a chance to be an option off the bench at LG/RG/RT then they may only draft one (which I think would be a mistake).
That would be a mistake

How many OTs the Pats draft will depend on how they view Steuber. If they feel that Steuber will get a chance to be an option off the bench at LG/RG/RT then they may only draft one (which I think would be a mistake). I mention this because I believe that Steuber will be in the mix for the RT job. He has experience there AND actually played next to Onwenu when they were both at Michigan.
Glad you brought him into the discussion for consideration... Tbh I had forgotten about him

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back