PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Conor McDermott - 6th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to read that some scout didn't think he had the quicks to be a LT. I've heard the opposite. He DOES have the quicks and athleticism to be an excellent LT. What he DOESN'T have is the functional strength to play the position. Clearly the Pats have time to see if he can improve that strength and power. He has the frame and athletic ability for it to happen, BUT it isn't going to happen for at least a year. He will play NO factor this season.....if he even makes the team.

I still wonder why the rush to grab 2 OT's. Solder won't even be 3o until NEXT season. Cannon is just coming into his own and has been extended. Do the Pats think Solder's going to want to rush into FA after this season? Is his son's illness making him think about retirement? Resigning him to a reseaonable contract for a player ofhis stature shouldn't be that difficult. They've already had one successful negotiation. Drafting 2 guys makes me curious

I offer a suggestion to your query. The Pats have just rebuilt their O-line and while d0ing so drained the development potential there. The are merely refilling the developmental pipeline.

Its actually 4 OTs and the “rush“ seems quite obvious: all Solder, Fleming and Waddle are set to become FAs next year (while Vollmer is gone) . and the OT market as you could see is crazy. Waddle might be gone before September (850.00 savings / 275.000 dead cap) with Garcia a lock. Fleming's 1.8M contract is not guaranteed until week 1 although Id be surprised if he's gone (even on a trade).

Solder will be asking for 10M+ money (11M cap hit this year) and its in the contract that they cannot use FT). There are even hints he might retire.. I like him, but he never came back to the pre-injury form and certainly not to 10M+ player. I think Fleming was better graded against Arizona than Solder in most games. He had a solid season but I wonder how they see it going forward. He suffered in SBLI . look no further then almost costing Pats a game in this last 2- point conversion (that could be an accident of course but it was not the only time it happened):

As mentioned before it might be Dante's last year being fully engaged so they'd probably like to maximise the opportunity..
Solder has been suffering the effects of injuries, seems he's lost a bit of his edge and also has been dinged up fairly often. I think the team may be concerned about the accumulated wear and tear, loading up the development pipeline behind him.

Coach (Cole) Popovich. Cracks me up.

Kinda funny that McShay mocked McDermott in the first round to us in his "way too early draft" a year ago:

52M8aXng.png

Also, a pick later he projected Wise to the Seahawks.

Last edited:
Kinda funny that McShay mocked McDermott in the first round to us in his "way too early draft" a year ago:

52M8aXng.png

Was actually correct about the Bills picking White.

52M8aXng.png

Great find, luuked!

Wow, Deatrich Wise in the first round!? He was my first binkie this year watching him in Shrine. He was projected UDFA at that time on most boards (started rising slightly after Shrine). I was surprised since to me he was up there with DeMarcus Walker and the rest of Day 2 DE/DLs. Without injuries probably indeed a 1st round talent.

To exaggerate after this find: BB got 4 1st rounders (mocked that way at some boards at some point in town at least) without even showing up at Day 1.

BTW - Chubb was the RB Pats were scouting for this year but didn't declare. Probably too pricy next year..

Good stuff as always, long distance. How does he compare to Rich, in your opinion?
If given equal opportunity, it would not surprise to see Rich out-perform McDermott during TC and pre-season, and to see him make the 53 while McDermott is signed to the PS after clearing waivers.

Last edited:
McDermott plays a lot like Nate Solder in those clips so that in itself might be good thing. That said I hope he gets the green light to stop at any Buffet of his choice to put some more pounds on. McDermot's flaws are correctable he could be a Steal if he puts in the hard work.

Ideally, he has an entire year of redshirting in front of him to understand pro-level schemes and build up his body. Lets hope no one gets injured and he gets that time to "grow".

If given equal opportunity, it would not surprise to see Rich out-perform McDermott during TC and pre-season, and to see him make the 53 while McDermott is signed to the PS after clearing waivers.

You Ivy league beautiful people stick together, eh? :)

Congrats on becoming the first Patriots draft pick to sign this year. Nice. :)

I hope this kid sticks because I'd be excited to see his growth under Scar. He was a projected first round pick if he had came out a season ago and his season this year was actually underrated based on what I've seen. He's raw, but I'd bet that Dante could develop him nicely. As a whole, I like this draft. This was the first year I didn't do an abundance of work on it, but I'm familiar with the prospects and I think the Patriots got a lot of value considering their limitations re: draft capital.

I've been a McDermott fan for quite a while. I recognize his strengths and weaknesses and think he has the athletism to start in year two.

He needs to put on weight and get much stronger.

Having watching Garcia play twice last year, I sense he will have massive problems learning the scheme his first year. My hope is he never sees the field in year one. Or we could be screwed big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes