PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Colts Make Ex-Pat Kenny Moore highest paid slot CB in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking this basically means the Colts are going to use their salary cap room to do the same NE has done and start paying/building up their middle class players depth.

He's drafted three CBs in the second round in his time as Patriots head coach, two of whom are currently rookies or de facto rookies right now. Essentially all you are saying here is that some of the UDFAs are better than Cyrus Jones.

Editing because Pro Football Reference doesn't think a bunch of draft picks are cornerbacks: I forgot about Terence Wheatley, so maybe you have a point.
And there's also Glass-IR Dowling (not the Blues fan)...and if we include Safeties then there's also Tavon the ER Wilson & Glitch Richards.

And there's also Glass-IR Dowling

I guess. He seems more like a safety to me than a cornerback. But throw him in there too I suppose. Just don't throw him too hard.

And there's also Glass-IR Dowling (not the Blues fan)...and if we include Safeties then there's also Tavon the ER Wilson & Glitch Richards.
Yeah - Stinky Wheatley, Cyrus the Virus and Glass IR were all certified 2nd round corner busts.

Darius Butler was another 2nd round nickel corner who, while going on to surprisingly have a halfway decent NFL career, and after having a promising rookie year, got released in the second year of his 4 yr rookie contract.

What has Dawson done so far to show that he has potential beyond his 2nd round draft status and college career?
Well since he was injured his rookie year that would mean he hasn’t done anything beyond his draft status and college career so I assume that’s a rhetorical question.

Yeah - Stinky Wheatley, Cyrus the Virus and Glass IR were all certified 2nd round corner busts.

Darius Butler was another 2nd round nickel corner who, while going on to surprisingly have a halfway decent NFL career, and after having a promising rookie year, got released in the second year of his 4 yr rookie contract.
Butler at least was a top-48 talent with no health issues when he entered the 2009 draft out of UConn, and that's more than what can be said of All of the aforementioned other DBs.
The pick was therefore reasonable enough, especially if Bill would've taken Connor Barwin with the 40th pick instead of Busto Brace.

I forget the details, but I believe that he was waived after final cut-downs had already happened in 2011 to make room for somebody else, who proved to be Completely worthless anyway (what a shock). The expectation of the FO might've been to sign him to the PS after he cleared waivers, but he instead was claimed by Carolina, and that was the end of that.

Well since he was injured his rookie year that would mean he hasn’t done anything beyond his draft status and college career so I assume that’s a rhetorical question.
He was also a healthy scratch for the last 6 games of the regular season as well as the 3 postseason games.

It’s concerning that Duke Dawson couldn’t get on the field last year after he was cleared by the doctors to play. Yet you said that you’d rather have him than a proven NFL starter... “without hesitation”.

It’s an honest, not a rhetorical question: What has he shown you to make you believe he has special prospect potential?

Last edited:
He was also a healthy scratch for the last 6 games of the regular season as well as the 3 postseason games.

It’s concerning that Duke Dawson couldn’t get on the field last year after he was cleared by the doctors to play. Yet you said that you’d rather have him than a proven NFL starter... “without hesitation”.

It’s an honest, not a rhetorical question: What has he shown you to make you believe he has special prospect potential?
It very common that prospects are favored over mediocre players. What had Isaiah Wynn shown you that says he is any better than laadrian waddle?

I was optimistic about the fact that he was put on IR designated to return because I thought that meant they say something in camp and they felt he would be helpful when healthy down the stretch. The fact that he came back from IR and never even dressed is cause for concern. A second round pick should be seeing at least a few snaps at some point in his rookie year and Dawson never played. I am not saying it's over and he's a bust but I think this years corner group is significantly deeper than last years group in camp so he has a tough road ahead.

Well, a respected general manager who has watched every game and the vast majority of the practices during Moore’s two years in the league just made him the highest paid slot receiver two years before he had to do so. He thinks that Moore is pretty f ing good. I’m gonna go with that guy on this topic.
Moore is good. Much better than Jonathan 'average' Jones.

Jonathan Jones starts for 28 teams.
All depends on scheme but from a skill and talent standpoint he starts at nickel CB for at a minimum 2/3rds of the teams.

It's not concerning that Dawson could not get on the field with the unexpected emergence of JC Jackson. Why would they have messed with a Super Bowl level defensive backfield to squeeze in a rookie who had missed everything?

The "without hesitation" might be strong, but in context, do you think BB would prefer Dawson at 2nd round prices or $10 million Moore on his roster this season?

Last edited:
It's not concerning that Dawson could not get on the field with the unexpected emergence of JC Jackson. Why would they have messed with a Super Bowl level defensive backfield to squeeze in a rookie who had missed everything?

The "without hesitation" might be strong, but in context, do you think BB would prefer Dawson at 2nd round prices or $10 million Moore on his roster this season?
Agree. My belief is by mid-season Dawson was just too far behind and Crossen had established himself as a solid STer and a small role in the dime defense.

So you think Jones has no value and should be cut?
Of course he has value. It was more of a joke. That said I think he is a decent slot corner not great or elite.I wouldn't lose sleep over trading him for a mid round pick if such an offer would arrive.

He gave up
619 yards
11.9 yards per reception
66% completions
89 passer rating

Pretty decent but nothing that jumps out.

In fairness to that, Kenny Moore had only slightly better numbers. 83 passer rating and 8.3 yards per reception. His 74% completions given up were pretty horrendous.

So in conclusion I would say, Jonathan Jones average and Kenny Moore slightly above average.

Of course he has value. It was more of a joke. That said I think he is a decent slot corner not great or elite.I wouldn't lose sleep over trading him for a mid round pick if such an offer would arrive.

He gave up
619 yards
11.9 yards per reception
66% completions
89 passer rating

Pretty decent but nothing that jumps out.

In fairness to that, Kenny Moore had only slightly better numbers. 83 passer rating and 8.3 yards per reception. His 74% completions given up were pretty horrendous.

So in conclusion I would say, Jonathan Jones average and Kenny Moore slightly above average.
I would agree with that.

I'm careful about using PFF #s to support how good a player is. Things like playing zone, matchups, down/distance, etc also play a role.

Last year Jones allowed 1 pass out of 8 over 20 yards which included 2 picks. I don't remember each play and have no idea what the coverage was or if he had help or not.

My eyes tell me hes fast as hell and can be pretty sticky. I don't think hes an elite "slot" DB. I would certainly put Moore ahead if him in that regard.

Overall JJ is a solid nickel/dime DB and upper-tier STer. There are certainly better DBs out there.

With that said if Dawson kicks ass in TC/pre-season and if another team is willing to part with a 4th for JJ i'd be ok with it.

I would agree with that.

I'm careful about using PFF #s to support how good a player is. Things like playing zone, matchups, down/distance, etc also play a role.

Last year Jones allowed 1 pass out of 8 over 20 yards which included 2 picks. I don't remember each play and have no idea what the coverage was or if he had help or not.

My eyes tell me hes fast as hell and can be pretty sticky. I don't think hes an elite "slot" DB. I would certainly put Moore ahead if him in that regard.

Overall JJ is a solid nickel/dime DB and upper-tier STer. There are certainly better DBs out there.

With that said if Dawson kicks ass in TC/pre-season and if another team is willing to part with a 4th for JJ i'd be ok with it.
You are really really overrating Moore imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing