PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Celtics to trade #1 overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tatum is following up last night's game winner with 13 points in his first 15 minutes of playing time tonight.

Tatum is following up last night's game winner with 13 points in his first 15 minutes of playing time tonight.
its obvious hes going to be really really good. if they trade him ill be pissed.

Too bad that Bradley, instead of Smart or Rozier or especially Crowder, had to be traded, and that Jordan Mickey and especially Tyler Zeller had to be waived, in order to create the space needed to sign Hayward.

Too bad that Bradley, instead of Smart or Rozier or especially Crowder, had to be traded, and that Jordan Mickey and especially Tyler Zeller had to be waived, in order to create the space needed to sign Hayward.

Well Bradley was going to be commanding 20m+ next year with and also being a bit injury prone. And I would much rather have Hayward on the roster... even if you had to waive 2 guys that barely played in the NBA.

I can understand your Bradley sentiment but as far as making space for Hayward I am not to worried about that.

I detect a certain sarcasm here. Especially the Zeller reference.

Pierce signed a contract to retire as a Celtic. I'm so lucky to have seen his entire career. A true Celtic legend through and through and easily top 5 player in franchise history.

2nd in points
7th in rebounds
5th in assists
1st in 3pt makes
1st in steals
4th in blocks
2nd in games
10x all star
2008 Champion and Finals MVP

Only question left is what game next season do they add 34 to the rafters

Pierce signed a contract to retire as a Celtic. I'm so lucky to have seen his entire career. A true Celtic legend through and through and easily top 5 player in franchise history.

2nd in points
7th in rebounds
5th in assists
1st in 3pt makes
1st in steals
4th in blocks
2nd in games
10x all star

great to hear this. I agree, very easily a top 5 Celtic.

bradley only had one year left on his deal. he was gone either way. smart rozier crowder and some of the tresure chest of picks will be used in dannys next trade. bradley made perfect sense.

2nd in points
7th in rebounds
5th in assists
1st in 3pt makes
1st in steals
4th in blocks
2nd in games
10x all star

hes not 5. top ten but not top 5.

hes not 5. top ten but not top 5.

no, he's pretty comfortably top 5...he's got the numbers, the leadership and led the team to a banner.

Russell
Bird
Cousy
Pierce
Hondo

Boston Celtics Career Leaders | Basketball-Reference.com

Its not Pierce's fault he was stuck on by far the worst stretch in franchise history with inept management. Its no coincidence the second they put talent around him he wins a ring, goes to a 2nd Final and makes multiple conference finals. Dont forget, he owned LeBron in the playoffs so many times that LeBron ran to Miami.

Pierce is one of the, if not the, most clutch players of his generation and in terms of making the play when needed is only behind Bird in Celtics lore. Hell, there is a 14 minute video of just Pierce game winning shots

Last edited:
no, he's pretty comfortably top 5...he's got the numbers, the leadership and led the team to a banner.

Russell
Bird
Cousy
Pierce
Hondo

Boston Celtics Career Leaders | Basketball-Reference.com

Its not Pierce's fault he was stuck on by far the worst stretch in franchise history with inept management. Its no coincidence the second they put talent around him he wins a ring, goes to a 2nd Final and makes multiple conference finals. Dont forget, he owned LeBron in the playoffs so many times that LeBron ran to Miami.

Pierce is one of the, if not the, most clutch players of his generation and in terms of making the play when needed is only behind Bird in Celtics lore. Hell, there is a 14 minute video of just Pierce game winning shots

thats a big time negative.

I've been fortunate enough to watch the C's since the early 60's.
I only saw cousy at the end of his career,but I saw Russell and everyone else since a lot,both in person and on TV.
I think the top 3 C's are in stone:
1.Russell
2. Bird
3.Havlicek
You could argue the next 2-3 spots,but both Cousy and Pierce HAVE to be there.
McHale also in the conversation. But that's it.
I have no doubt if he lived longer Reggie would be there too.

I only saw cousy at the end of his career,but I saw Russell and everyone else since a lot,both in person and on TV.
1.Russell
2. Bird
3.Havlicek
Yeah, McHale belong in the conversation.

Well Bradley was going to be commanding 20m+ next year with and also being a bit injury prone. And I would much rather have Hayward on the roster... even if you had to waive 2 guys that barely played in the NBA.

I can understand your Bradley sentiment but as far as making space for Hayward I am not to worried about that.
1.Russell
2. Bird
3.Havlicek

Bird
Russell
Havlicek
McHale
Cowens
Cousy
Parish
Jones

All before Pierce, no question in my mind. I'd look seriously at White, Heinsohn, Archibald and Johnson, too.

Bird
Russell
Havlicek
McHale
Cowens
Cousy
Parish
Jones

All before Pierce, no question in my mind. I'd look seriously at White, Heinsohn, Archibald and Johnson, too.

nostalgia boner is running wild...

Pierce is top 5 in every major statistical category in Celtics history (except rebounds where he is 7th). Only ones you mentioned that are above him are Russell, Bird and Hondo.

You can't make an argument for any others over Pierce without bringing up things he had no control over such as banners and team success. Last time I checked he wasn't picking the team in those wonderful early 00s when the front office couldn't even wipe it's *ss correctly.

despite that Pierce is still:

2nd in Celtics all time in offensive win shares
4th in Celtics all time in defensive win shares
3rd in Celtics all time in total win shares

He is one of only THREE players in NBA history with >25000 points, >7000 rebounds, >4000 assists and >1500 steals.

Pierce is top 5 in every major statistical category in Celtics history (except rebounds where he is 7th). Only ones you mentioned that are above him are Russell, Bird and Hondo.

You can't make an argument for any others over Pierce without bringing up things he had no control over such as banners and team success. Last time I checked he wasn't picking the team in those wonderful early 00s when the front office couldn't even wipe it's *ss correctly.

He is one of only THREE players in NBA history with >25000 points, >7000 rebounds, >4000 assists and >1500 steals.

He belongs right around 5 I think. McHale is ahead of him because he's possibly the best low post player in history.

Many of Pierce's numbers are inflated by his being the best player on a ****ty team for most of his career (23.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg before the Pierce/Garnett/Allen era, 19.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg during that era, for example). Players like a McHale/Parish/Tiny/DJ also have their numbers by being only the #2/#3/#4 in the Russell/Bird eras. You defend Pierce against being on bad teams, yet you don't acknowledge the downsides of being on good teams.

In short, you're just cherry picking in order to make your argument. That's fine, if that's the approach you want to take, and others can refute/respond from there. But don't piggyback that on your "nostalgia boner" ********, because that's pathetic.

Last edited:

2nd in points
7th in rebounds
5th in assists
1st in 3pt makes
1st in steals
4th in blocks
2nd in games
10x all star

Pierce wins a longevity silver star and the accumulated stats he achieved as a Celt are impressive. The first comparison that came to mind when thinking of a very good but not great Celtic was Dave Cowens....but it can be argued that Cowens was more dominant than Pierce.
My eye test: During the Big 3 era, Doc Rivers always called Pierce's number for the last possession of a quarter or the final shot....and Pierce would stand with the ball until a few seconds left, then work a little bit to get a jumper off...usually failing. It was ordinary....certainly not special....and that's who Paul Pierce was. He did much well much but nothing great. He had a superior basketball mind but athletically he never had the tools to be a true dominant force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes