PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Celtics to trade #1 overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to his level which is why he was the consensus #1.
According to Danny Ainge he wasn't.

Same reason BB isn't suckered into going after the most talented player...

Coming to theaters November 2018...

anthony-davis.jpg

After seeing what kind of players were available from 11-30....
Being at the top of the draft is everything
And Boston should stay the course and hang on to their premium picks
This is their advantage over most every team

The only exception was if the knicks were serious about moving porzingis. He was worth a top pick

The only exception was if the knicks were serious about moving porzingis. He was worth a top pick
I'd rather make that offer for AD next year instead.

????

BB "gets suckered into going after the most talented player" all the time.

People in Miami are largely poo-pooing the Heat pick, but I actually like it. If the kid continues to develop his jump shot, he and Whiteside could be a monster combination in the paint for years to come. Unfortunately for the Heat, they pretty much need everything else. I also like what the Celts did although I can't help but think that Fultz will end up being the better prospect.
I was unaware there was an Adebayo and Anunoby that really threw me off lol. Though that was one dude.

So happy we passed on Jackson.

Tatum has a great old man's game that fits perfectly w/ our current team.

He's not an explosive athlete but rather instant offense that can get his shot any time.

????

BB "gets suckered into going after the most talented player" all the time.
???

If the player has no heart or the work-ethic, he won't be here.

I like what the Celtics did if they are not sold on Fultz and/or he was not a fit in what they are planning.

My Bulls though, that front office is the worst in the major leagues, I'm past the point of getting upset, I just laugh.

Is he so much better than everyone else that he is worth more than Jayson Tatum AND a possible young quality big man in the next year or two?

I like what the Celtics came away with.

I think there is a clear margin between Fultz and Tatum. That said, Tatum could very well become as good or even better than Fultz. It's tough to predict the futures of 19 year olds. If Tatum comes close to his potential and the Celtics get a quality big from the LA or Sacramento pick, then it's worth it. There are some very good bigs in next year's draft and the Lakers pick might land us one. That would be a homerun by Ainge. But if Tatum only becomes an average starter while the other part of the trade turns out to be a mid round pick from Sacramento while Fultz is a star, it's a huge loss for Ainge. This is a huge gamble by Ainge in my opinion. I would have taken the bird in the hand.

???

If the player has no heart or the work-ethic, he won't be here.

Belichick's 2nd round picks are often all about gambles on pure talent over production and/or injury, the Easley pick was all about talent without regards to injury or anything else, etc....

Last edited:

Well, Fultz doesn't fit the team's needs as well. The team is already guard dominant. I think Ainge wanted another shot at next year's top picks which have a lot of bigs which the Celts need.

I don't think this compares well with football and BB. Different sport. Different challenges. Apples and oranges.

The more I think of it, the more I'm glad we passed on Jackson. Brown has a full year in Stevens' system now and getting Jaylen 2.0 would just take minutes away from a player we already have.
Also, I didn't realize Brown's size. He's 20 lbs heavier than Jackson but just as athletic.
I'll take Tatum's shooting and 85% free throws if we're gonna continue to heave up 3's at a record pace. Too many games last year IT was are only reliable outside threat.
If we get a steady shooting threat and the pick turns out to be a high lottery for next year I like the moves.

Yep. I would hope and expect that Tatum being on the floor would help IT out a lot.

Belichick's 2nd round picks are often all about gambles on pure talent over production and/or injury, the Easley pick was all about talent without regards to injury or anything else, etc....

I'd contend that even in those examples, he still adhered to a philosophy (player makeup, system fit, etc) For example, AH was a perfect fit for this offense who played hard and was football smart despite being reckless wackjob off the field at UF.

Well, Fultz doesn't fit the team's needs as well. The team is already guard dominant. I think Ainge wanted another shot at next year's top picks which have a lot of bigs which the Celts need.

I don't think this compares well with football and BB. Different sport. Different challenges. Apples and oranges.

Not buying it.

IT and Avery Bradley have expiring contracts this year. If there was a time to draft a player to be THE guy in the backcourt in 2018-2019 season it was not.

For whatever reason, Danny didn't want to take him in the #1 slot. He even said it during his presser.

The problem was the NYK wanted more than "a top pick". They wanted last years top pick, this years top pick, and next years top pick, plus another....
If Ainge obliged, this rebuild via the draft would essentially be over depending on the Lakers/Kings future pick. The bounty of remaining #1's are protected or will be back half of the round picks which rarely advance the cause.
And....after seeing the reasonable price for quality pieces to fill in holes...like Butler...or for the short term...George....I am confident Ainge can fill slots when he truly needs to without paying through the nose.
The Celts are 12 months away from having the team Ainge imagined when the Brooklyn trade went down. Stay the course...the Celts are setting up for long term excellence.....San Antonio style.

The problem was the NYK wanted more than "a top pick". They wanted last years top pick, this years top pick, and next years top pick, plus another....
If Ainge obliged, this rebuild via the draft would essentially be over depending on the Lakers/Kings future pick. The bounty of remaining #1's are protected or will be back half of the round picks which rarely advance the cause.
And....after seeing the reasonable price for quality pieces to fill in holes...like Butler...or for the short term...George....I am confident Ainge can fill slots when he truly needs to without paying through the nose.
The Celts are 12 months away from having the team Ainge imagined when the Brooklyn trade went down. Stay the course...the Celts are setting up for long term excellence.....San Antonio style.

Yep. Porzingis is a good player. He's not close to being a franchise player.

Yep. Porzingis is a good player. He's not close to being a franchise player.

Agreed but he's a baby with very little NBA experience. He could very well be a top 5-10 player in 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents