PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Celtics to trade #1 overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would have gone with Jackson. He seemed like the tougher player. The more driven guy, and a best defender of the top 4. But who can tell when the top 7 players picked were attending their HS graduation this time last year.

The Celts still have 2 potential top 5 picks in next year's draft. Let's see if they continue to improve, and get further along the path this coming season. That being said I very much doubt that Danny is done building this team.

So driven, he couldn't be bothered to work out for them. In fact, he told them he would, they flew across country to see it, and then he cancelled without a word.

Couple that with his anger management issues, I'll take the guy who can shoot, is an extremely hard worker and is coachable thanks.

This was a crappy draft for us to get the first pick. Fultz is the undisputed star but not the best fit for us and what we are trying to do. Ball probably fits a bit better, but he more question marks than any of the top prospects because of his unorthodox shot. Jackson didn't impress too many in work outs. Tatum has as much upside as any of them.

In hindsight I'm fine with the trade down.

This was a crappy draft for us to get the first pick. Fultz is the undisputed star but not the best fit for us and what we are trying to do. Ball probably fits a bit better, but he more question marks than any of the top prospects because of his unorthodox shot. Jackson didn't impress too many in work outs. Tatum has as much upside as any of them.

In hindsight I'm fine with the trade down.

I think we should have taken Fultz because he's the best chance to be a star. I also think Ainge agrees with you that it was a bad year for us to have the first pick. That's the reason he traded down to possibly get us a top pick next year when the best players are big guys. We have two shots at a top pick with LA and Brooklyn's firsts. If we get Ayton, Bamba, or Porter, the trade is a win.

Warm up your radios, as by the end of the day most will us will be convinced be by the pundits of the airwaves that Ainge does not know what he is doing and how he got fleeced by Philadelphia..

As in any draft prefer to wait until this guys can at least "belly up to a bar" before any real assessment can be made..

The whole "one and done" in college is absurd.. all the time they spend recruiting blue chip players for about 40 games..

After seeing what kind of players were available from 11-30....
Being at the top of the draft is everything
And Boston should stay the course and hang on to their premium picks
This is their advantage over most every team

just sign hayward and im happy. Phil Jackson isnt trading godzingus. forget about it. please danny dont trade for paul george.

Agreed, Phil is just trying to send a message to him, he has always played these mind games with his players (admittedly with great success in Chicago and LA). Also agreed about no to the one year rental of George.

Rozier and Crowder, along with Zeller, would seem to be a perfect starting point for a George trade.
I'll give up any non Jaylen, Tatum, Lakers-Kings, Brooklyn picks for him but not going to overpay for a guy who wants to play for the Lakers and doesn't put us into contention.

Personally I would have gone with Jackson. He seemed like the tougher player. The more driven guy, and a best defender of the top 4. But who can tell when the top 7 players picked were attending their HS graduation this time last year.

The Celts still have 2 potential top 5 picks in next year's draft. Let's see if they continue to improve, and get further along the path this coming season. That being said I very much doubt that Danny is done building this team.
Jackson low key has some character red flags. Rather have the guy that doesn't threaten women.

He has everything. Speed, size, length, mid game, driving ability, acrobatic, passing, shooting. Everything!
90% of the players in the NBA have those qualities.

Work ethic, mental toughness and the will to win will determine if he is player or a pretender.

Jackson canceled his workout while Ainge, Stevens, and Zarren were flying to Sacramento, **** this guy.

Not saying that it will happen to Josh Jackson but I have seen a lot of prospects like him flame out and not live up to that so called Potential. While Players like Tatum go onto having a solid careers. I think Jayson Tatum is the perfect pick for the Celtics based of what they NEED! a player who can fill it up. Jayson Tatum is a very polished Rookie I think the skys the Limit for him. I am intrigued to see the Development of Jaylen Brown in year Two using his Big Body and how well his Offensive Game Develops.

I like the Tatum pick because he's pretty polished and NBA-ready already. He can be a contributor in Year 1... I like the Ojeleye pick too and Allen will be a great defensive presence off the bench at times too. If they can sign Hayward, they'll be able to field some pretty good lineups and take advantage of mismatches in a lot of areas. Don't know if they'll necessarily compete for a title but they can be a top seed again, certainly. Then with potentially two top 5 picks next year, they can build a seriously good and young team.

The more I think of it, the more I'm glad we passed on Jackson. Brown has a full year in Stevens' system now and getting Jaylen 2.0 would just take minutes away from a player we already have.
Also, I didn't realize Brown's size. He's 20 lbs heavier than Jackson but just as athletic.
I'll take Tatum's shooting and 85% free throws if we're gonna continue to heave up 3's at a record pace. Too many games last year IT was are only reliable outside threat.
If we get a steady shooting threat and the pick turns out to be a high lottery for next year I like the moves.

Last edited:
Also, about Fultz and his teams record. I admit I didn't watch him play so I can't judge on that. However, I'm an LSU grad and a huge fan of LSU sports and saw a lot of Ben Simmons. He's a freak athlete, true, but I'd be suprised if he ever makes an all-star team. The kid can't shoot. He also did not make the team around him any better...at all. We were expecting great things from him, and IIRC the last "must win" SEC tourney game we lost to Texas A&M by like 40 points.
That's what makes me second guess Fultz. If there's one thing I can absolutely say about him, without having seen him is that he did not elevate his team at all.

90% of the players in the NBA have those qualities.

Work ethic, mental toughness and the will to win will determine if he is player or a pretender.

Not to his level which is why he was the consensus #1.

People in Miami are largely poo-pooing the Heat pick, but I actually like it. If the kid continues to develop his jump shot, he and Whiteside could be a monster combination in the paint for years to come. Unfortunately for the Heat, they pretty much need everything else. I also like what the Celts did although I can't help but think that Fultz will end up being the better prospect.

Not to his level which is why he was the consensus #1.

Is he so much better than everyone else that he is worth more than Jayson Tatum AND a possible young quality big man in the next year or two?

I like what the Celtics came away with.

People in Miami are largely poo-pooing the Heat pick, but I actually like it. If the kid continues to develop his jump shot, he and Whiteside could be a monster combination in the paint for years to come. Unfortunately for the Heat, they pretty much need everything else. I also like what the Celts did although I can't help but think that Fultz will end up being the better prospect.

Point Guards in Todays NBA are a dime a dozen IT is still in his prime it's easy to see why they passed o Fultz. Tatum's overall Offensive game is just too much to pass up Danny may have set up this Franchise for years to come next Draft can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
The more I think of it, the more I'm glad we passed on Jackson. Brown has a full year in Stevens' system now and getting Jaylen 2.0 would just take minutes away from a player we already have.
Also, I didn't realize Brown's size. He's 20 lbs heavier than Jackson but just as athletic.
I'll take Tatum's shooting and 85% free throws if we're gonna continue to heave up 3's at a record pace. Too many games last year IT was are only reliable outside threat.
If we get a steady shooting threat and the pick turns out to be a high lottery for next year I like the moves.

Jaylen Brown is a Man/child whenever you can get a player in that mold you pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents