PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cam still wants to play if it’s the right situation

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

USFL sounds like the right situation for him.

Him and Adrian Peterson are nuts.

2 years of the same results should say that he's done. Can't throw anymore and doesn't have the athleticism to make teams play him differently fearing his legs

Could be a big name if Vince McMayhem decides to try for a 3rd time.

1641862316452.png

OK great.

If this thread is about ex-NEP QBs, i'd rather see a thread on the new wines Doubleback has out for 2022.

His results suggest he's not what he once was. And that he can't make the transition from running QB to mobile QB.

I think the Carolina debacle shows all the other teams were right to not consider him a possibility.

In what "situation"?

Where he semi-similar to the starter, such as Baltimore or Arizona? Maybe.

Where he is a change of pace guy, like the Saints had with Hill/Brees a year ago, or Mariota/Carr this season? Perhaps.

Where the alternative was awful last year, like with the Colts on the verge of either starting Sam Ehlinger or re-signing Philip Rivers a few days ago? You need a better plan than that.

In today's NFL Mike Glennon, Josh Johnson and Sean Mannion are all called upon to start. Brian Hoyer is considered to be better than average compared to other alternatives as a backup. If the corpse of Ryan Fitzpatrick is still a coveted commodity, then Cam Newton, Joe Flacco and Josh Rosen can find a job somewhere.

But for the team signing him, hope that he is the next Blaine Gabbert - and is never counted on to do anything other than take the snap and then take a knee in garbage time. Maybe Cam can contribute as an occasional RPO QB on the scout team.

In what "situation"?

Where he semi-similar to the starter, such as Baltimore or Arizona? Maybe.

Where he is a change of pace guy, like the Saints had with Hill/Brees a year ago, or Mariota/Carr this season? Perhaps.

Where the alternative was awful last year, like with the Colts on the verge of either starting Sam Ehlinger or re-signing Philip Rivers a few days ago? You need a better plan than that.

Where the team doesn’t do passing and audibles.

Cam should consider taking up javelin for the Olympics, his throwing motion is ideal.

Looking back, it's almost hard to believe he actually played here. It's like the Patriots were on hiatus for a year and Cam served as team PR spokesman.

Last edited:
From Carolina Panthers to Michigan Panthers amirite?

What situations would have been better than New England and Carolina?

I bet he does

I'd still like to be a QB in the NFL in the right situation, too. 56 years old, 200lbs, goes to the gym occasionally. I bet I can throw a 15 yard out as good as he can, tho.

When you've been playing football at a high level (and make no mistake, even the worst QB in the NFL is still one of the best players in the world), for as long as these players have, from pop warner to high school to college to the pros, it can be hard to see you don't have it anymore. It can be even harder to see what your life would be like post football. And once you leave, that's it, you very rarely can come back. I think he's done, but I don't blame him for wanting to hang on until the last finger slips from the ledge. Best of luck to you Cam. I'm glad we're not in a position to even consider it.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back